Pistol/Goby, not to worry?

YHSublime

So I added a candy striped pistol and a yellow watchman goby this evening. They were already paired, and I let the shrimp out first. It immediately dashed to a crevace in my front display rock, and I could see it throwing things out. I added the goby almost immediately after, and it has since run off somewhere else. My paired clowns took on the interrogation job, and swam over in unison (think the siamese cats from Lady and the Tramp) and followed it about for a min. or so, no nipping, just curious (at least that's how it appeared from my observation.) So do I worry about the goby and the pistol finding each other? I have this urking feeling I should have released them in at the same time, and I don't know why I didn't. Well, I do, the answer is two fold. 1.) I'm greedy, and wanted a great view of their friendship 2.) I wanted to create said view by hoping the shrimp would choose a spot close to where I could observe front and center (and it did.) I fear that I've torn up the duo. Simon has lost his Garfunkle.

And then part of me says, "Hey, it's nature, and nature is really, really ($*@%!) awesome. They'll work it out."

So what says the masses?

Has my new pair lost the Yin to their Yang? The Starsky to their Hutch? Their Batman to their Robin?

Oyeeeee, I need a drink.

Yup they will 100%. I am on my 2nd pair and they allways do. Only issue is you may never see them again. I got a Yasha Goby ($50) so got a great looking one only to never see him lol

I bought a paired duo once and when I put them in my tank, they went their separate ways. The goby has long since passed but the shrimp has been living happily in the big shell for almost 3 years now.

yeah it really depends... i had a pair in my 14g cube... youd think there would be no way they would split up... but they did... (and stayed that way for almost a year and when I put them into the 150g tank with triggers and such they magically paired up again[i believe they needed someone to always watch the entrance so te shrimp didnt get munched on, lol])

Mine weren't paired

I had the goby for a year

got him a new shrimp in a whole different area of the tank.

Without missing a beat, they were paired by the next day

I assume its a noise the shrimp makes

(but then again ... wouldn't predators pick up on the noise and try to eat the shrimp?)

Yup they will 100%. I am on my 2nd pair and they allways do. Only issue is you may never see them again. I got a Yasha Goby ($50) so got a great looking one only to never see him lol

Same here! My yasha immediately found the pistol shrimp, but both are living under some live rock. I think I see the pistol more than I see the goby.

I'd like to get one of these too, unpaired though as I'd like to see (or try) them pair up naturally in my tank as opposed to the LFS tank. I'm concerned that you won't ever see them though. Do they come out at night when the lights are off at least? Hate to buy livestock and then never see them again.

I found my Gobby not long after, it doesn't appear to be doing any searching. The pistol is long gone, I know where it went in, no idea where it is now though.

I turned off the pumps and I could hear this:

http://youtu.be/wSy_FRXqzZs

I'd like to get one of these too, unpaired though as I'd like to see (or try) them pair up naturally in my tank as opposed to the LFS tank. I'm concerned that you won't ever see them though. Do they come out at night when the lights are off at least? Hate to buy livestock and then never see them again.

I see my Gobies all of the time. They're always sticking out of one of the entrances that the shrimp has made. Sometimes finding which entrance they are using is tough but they're usually there somewhere. They also come out when it's food time.

Mine weren't paired

I had the goby for a year

got him a new shrimp in a whole different area of the tank.

Without missing a beat, they were paired by the next day

I assume its a noise the shrimp makes

(but then again ... wouldn't predators pick up on the noise and try to eat the shrimp?)

+1 - same with me

I see my Gobies all of the time. They're always sticking out of one of the entrances that the shrimp has made. Sometimes finding which entrance they are using is tough but they're usually there somewhere. They also come out when it's food time.

+1 - same with me

Awesome! Thanks!

I had Tiger Pistol and Yellow watchman that was purchased at different stores but paired up nicely for about 6 years before I had a tank crash.

I'm looking to get another pair once I get my Nitrate (10 to 20 ppm ) under control. I read that the shrimp does not like high Nitrates.

The Tiger Pistol is different from the Candy stripped Pistol. Does anyone know if the Candy Pistol is more tolerant of Nitrates ?

I have been 0 for 2 on candy stripes and would not bother getting another. The tiger pistol i had on my previous tank settled in immediately.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by nbgen12

I had a Tiger Pistol and a yellow watchman Goby and I would see the Watchman peek his head out every feeding. The Tiger I would see very rarely but every once in a whole he did his bulldozer impression. My new paid is not been seen since I put them in lol. The Candy Cane Pistol was very small so I'm sure that plays a part. I have a ton of nice hiding spots where I can't see so in sure they are ok. Moral of the story is very cool to have but I would not spend a ton on the Goby.

Yes, agree w/ not spending a fortune on a fish/invert you may never see...still cool to have though. Went to Centreville Aquarium to browse, they had one but it wasn't very "yellow".

Also, regarding nitrates...I have heard that 20ppm is fine though I would want my trates to be lower. From what I have read, all but the most sensitive SPS, won't be too affected by 20ppm.

you know I see a few of the yellow watchmen gobies that look ghost white...whats the deal with that? do they become yellow or is that their color? the one I had years ago was bright yellow and never white....

wondering this myself. My "yellow" watchman has no yellow...

Yea true...but always seem to be labeled yellow watchman goby...at the lfs

Yes, always labelled "yellow".

Mine was really yellow ->

Till Death do us Part

post-290-0-94261100-1364228213_thumb.jpg

"was" as it died with it's pistol when tank crashed.

I have been having trouble finding an equally "yellow" one since.

Most I have seen at LFS are pale yellow and tiny.

Edited by mling