Stray voltage

YHSublime

So I've determined by process of elimination, that my skimmer pump is sending stray voltage through my aquarium.

I took it out, and put it in my bathtub, was able to reach into the tub, grab the pump, move it about, nothing. No shocks, no tingles.

So I says to meself, "GREAT! No problems, let me put this back into my sump." Plug it back in, and got a bite again.

I know that saltwater is more conductive, but from the tub to the sump, the voltage should not indicate two seperate worlds (ie. something vs. nothing)... freshwater is still conductive.

I'm wondering if it's my powerstrips? Or the pump? I'm tired of getting shocked, and I'm probably losing brain cells (more!)

Try a different power strip maybe.

But I'd also recomend you find a different testing method than reaching into the water with your hands.

put it in a bucket of salt water (not really recommended but....) another way to eliminate a possibility.

other way would be to just run an extension cord to the pump...

as said above, you could get a multimeter and get an actual reading without the attempted shock.

But I'd also recomend you find a different testing method than reaching into the water with your hands.

I started with my toung! That hurt to much, so I figured my fingers were the next best step :rolleyes:

put it in a bucket of salt water (not really recommended but....) another way to eliminate a possibility.

other way would be to just run an extension cord to the pump...

as said above, you could get a multimeter and get an actual reading without the attempted shock.

I will look for a multimeter, would rather borrow than buy, I bet my folks have one in their garage. Still boggles me that there would be nothing from the tub, and then a rather large shock from the sump.

Are your power strips the cheapo ones? Are they hot? Make sure you're not using ones meant for Christmas tree lights or you have a fire hazard...they can't handle the amperage.

We do tend to overload powerstrips in the hobby...It's hard enough to get your tank running on a light loaded circuit anyway...

They are nice surge protectors power strips I'm using, but they are by no means the best (I'd venture to say $40 strips.) Is there something I should be using? I would like to keep from a house (apartment) fire, and a zapped reef with fishies floating on the top of the water.

I started with my toung! That hurt to much, so I figured my fingers were the next best step :rolleyes:

At least you didn't stick anything more sensitive than that in there.

Like your toe!

Most probably okay, I'd be interested in knowing if the source of your issue is with the powerstrip...that wouldn't make much sense to me, but I'm no expert...I just don't trust powerstrips for anything, especially my tank.

what kinda tub, could be grounded haha.

That is what I was thinking too. The tub is grounding out the voltage leaking from the pump so it didn't go through you. Also if you were insulated like standing on a bath mat you might not have offered a path to ground.

Do you have a ground probe in the tank? Once you have a probe installed you shouldn't be getting shocked. I would make sure the skimmer is on a GFCI outlet.

At least you didn't stick anything more sensitive than that in there.

Like your toe!

This had me in tears. I needed a good laugh after all those zaps.

Most probably okay, I'd be interested in knowing if the source of your issue is with the powerstrip...that wouldn't make much sense to me, but I'm no expert...I just don't trust powerstrips for anything, especially my tank.

That makes 2 of us. What do you use instead of powerstrips, you have a controller, right?

Even after you fix the problem, spend the $15 and buy a grounding probe.. But dont plug it into the power strip.

Just researched these, good looking out. Will have one by the weekend.

Saltwater is a lot more conductive than fresh water. A freshwater stream, for example, typically has a conductivity between 50 and 1500 uS/cm (35 to 1000 times more). Saltwater in our tanks is nominally 53,000 uS/cm. Get an ohm meter and stop shocking yourself!

Saltwater is a lot more conductive than fresh water. A freshwater stream, for example, typically has a conductivity between 50 and 1500 uS/cm (35 to 1000 times more). Saltwater in our tanks is nominally 53,000 uS/cm. Get an ohm meter and stop shocking yourself!

Wow, that's crazy! Thanks for sharing. I suppose I can stop shocking myself, *Insert some lewd joke that Ron already appropriately borderlined."

Wow, that's crazy! Thanks for sharing. I suppose I can stop shocking myself, *Insert some lewd joke that Ron already appropriately borderlined."

Hey, save a life, preserve a subscription. Just kidding.

In all seriousness, a simple voltmeter can detect stray voltage problems without risking your safety.

And a cheap voltmeter is about $10 at Home Depot or Lowes, likely less if you have a Harbor Freight near you.

Sometimes you don't know that you have stray voltage until you are reaching into the tank with a cut on your finger. Your outer layers of skin offer much greater electrical insulation than the inner layers. I recently found out that one of my three month old Hydor Koralia Evo 1400 pumps was leaking stray voltage so I traded it out with the one which mixes my saltwater. I use a grounding probe but it is all the way on the other side of the tank. I'm probably going to get another and run one in the middle of each bank of power heads.

Well. I've since bought a grounding probe, not in order to run equipment with stray voltage, but just for prevention.

Anyways, sent in my pump to Aqua Euro, and they sent me back an e-mail today:

Hello Isaac,

We received the pump here and have tested it. It's odd but we do not find any stray current being released by this pump.

I tested it myself in our saltwater tank and put my hand into the water while the pump was running and didnt

feel anything from it. I had co-worker do the same while it was running and he did not feel anything either.

It must be something other than the pump.

Let me know what you want to do.

I'm Vexed at this stage... so i wrote back:

That is bizarre! I used my DJ switch (grounded) to turn off every appliance in my sump, and test them out one by one. The only thing that was giving off a current was the pump! Also tried this in a plastic tub! I can assure you, if nothing was wrong with it, I would have saved my money on shipping and insurance! I did try it in my bathtub as well, but with freshwater. It was fine there, but I presumed my tub was grounded.

What are my options from this point?

I could use it sooner than later, my corals miss the quality of water I formerly provided!

Best,

Isaac B.

Then I got this back:

I agree that is strange. I am attaching pictures just to show you I did test it with my hand in the saltwater while it was running. I didnt get any shock or any stray voltage or anything unusual. Just felt like my hand was in water.

Not sure what to say.

We can ship it back to you quickly and cheapest in a USPS Priority Medium Mail box. Those are $11.30 and take 2-3 days to get

back to you.

I didnt have a phone number to call you at. If you give me one I will call you. You can pay using credit card or pay pal. You can call us if you wish to - 800-978-3480

Sorry - we dont really know what else to do in this situation but just send it back to you.

So am I crazy? Am I missing something? I can't think of ANYTHING else other than the fact that maybe it was my plug? I'm $30 out on shipping on what appears to be a "ghost" voltage to everyone else. :blink:

I'm gonna' have a beer.

They didn't test it properly. You usually won't find out you have stray voltage until you are standing on a concrete or file floor barefoot or you have some shortcut to earth ground. What they need to do is test it with a multimeter with the ground end in the ground of the outlet. To think a legitimate representative of a company would perform a test to check for voltage utilizing his hand is outrageous.

Ask then to use a multi meter not their freaking hand. Maybe they got shocked a lot as a kid or struck by lightning

Or maybe the ground in you wall outlet ain't working but they have lill hand held testers for that

Edited by Der ABT

Some folks put a ground probe in the sump, and NOT in the tank....and vice versa....in the tank but NOT in the sump. I do both. Might be overkill, but it's only $15 ! I plug mine into a normal outlet, I do not have a GFI outlet.

Example number 2 about two thirds of the way down addresses the reason why. Without a GFCI to detect the imbalance between hot and neutral you can get a lot of current coming from the hot leg, through the water, and out the grounding probe. This current is also flowing through your fish and through your hand if you put it in there.

Why not use a probe without a GFCI? No valid reason was given in the article.