Building a stand to stack water tanks

MBVette

Pretty much! Obviously HOW you build it out of 2x4s and plywood is the more important thing. But any typical tank stand approaches should work fine.

I was thinking 4x4's just for added stability. Then connect them with some 2x4's.

So once I build the stand. I will fill the top can using the rodi unit and then move the water down. What is the best way to move the water down to the lower can, and still have it so that can can be rolled over to the tank for the water changes?

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/53990-smorfs-90-gallon-build/

Look at my pictures. I did something like what you are thinking of. I pump my water to the tank with a Mag 7 pump, (which also mixes my salt water), but you could have the bottom tank on rollers and use flex pipe instead of rigid pvc.

I used only 2x4's and a piece of 1/2" plywood and there is no wobble with both brutes full. I can post up my google sketch-up file if you want a visual of how the stand is built.

If you wouldn't mind posting the sketch up file just so I have a better reference.

The one thing that will be different since mine is on rollers is that I can't have a full skirt around the bottom since I have to be able to slide the can in and out. So I have to keep one of those sides open on the bottom. That is the one spot I'm concerned about.

I left off the plywood so you could see better.

Here's how I built mine:

water_station_plans_zps41c35135.jpg

Here's a possible solution for you. Almost the same but a little more bottom support since you lose a crossmember:

water_station_plans_MBVETTE_zps88511acd.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention, I made my "X" dimension a little wider, 34", so this drawing is a little out of scale. Just imagine the whole thing a little wider.

Or if you want more support:

water_station_plans_MBVETTE1_zps5d9bf0a4.jpg

Probably overkill, but one more 2x4 is like $3

FWIW, I don't like using 4x4's for stands. I did it once and most of them warped. The problem with having just one big piece of wood for a leg is that it easily warps with all the moisture and easily fails or shifts because it's the only support. I've use only 2x4's or 2x6's in every stand since then and it's definitely the way to go.

Look at how much weight you're actually going to support. 4 EA 2x4's is more than enought to hold up your water.

Scott, I'd build it just like the stand for the 93, minus the bottom ring. Build it like that and you'll be able to support far more water than you could ever fit on top of it.

FWIW, I don't like using 4x4's for stands. I did it once and most of them warped. The problem with having just one big piece of wood for a leg is that it easily warps with all the moisture and easily fails or shifts because it's the only support. I've use only 2x4's or 2x6's in every stand since then and it's definitely the way to go.

+1 - two 2x4"s sister'd are stronger and less prone to warpage and issues than one 4x4".

Agree with others on 2 2x4s being better. You may also want to consider some 55g Pepsi barrels. They are propably cheaper and are more rigid than the Brutes. You can drill and plumb them with bulkhead or uniseals as needed.

For the stand and the open end, you could use a metal bracket diagonally at the upper left and right corners to keep things I place if needed. We could make this happen in an hour this weekend if you want!

The 55 gallon barrels are all over craigs list. I bought mine for $12 but had to drive to Hershey. I have seen them for $20 locally. I took mine to the local car wash, used the power wash with no soap and a gallon of vinegar and it worked great.

I think most people over engineer their stands. For a brute I would just use single 2x4 legs, with angled 2x4 braces. Top it off with a 2x4 on each side to form a top ring covered with the 3/4" ply. Bottom would be 2x4 on three sides except the front.

If this was going up against a wall I would screw the 2x4 top ring into the wall studs and only use two front 2x4 legs. Screwing it into the wall studs makes it very stable.

I left off the plywood so you could see better.

Here's how I built mine:

water_station_plans_zps41c35135.jpg

Here's a possible solution for you. Almost the same but a little more bottom support since you lose a crossmember:

water_station_plans_MBVETTE_zps88511acd.jpg

Are you holding 2 tons of water with this stand? Is this your earthquake shelter?

Edited by zygote2k

Are you holding 2 tons of water with this stand? Is this your earthquake shelter?

I figured, hey, it's like 25 bucks in lumber, and it's almost 7' tall with the Brute on top, so I wanted to make sure it didn't wobble. It doesn't wobble.

Never hurts to over build.....

If our houses were built the way we build tank stands and water stands we wouldn't have all these problems,lol

and they would cost twice as much...