55 gallon plastic drums

CHUBAKAH

I'm looking for a couple of plastic 55 gallon drums, which I will keep new RO water in, and one for mixing. I've found a couple of places online, but I have no idea where I would find one local. Surely one of you guys/gals has a connection.

:why:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a couple of plastic 55 gallon drums, which I will keep new RO water in, and one for mixing. I've found a couple of places online, but I have no idea where I would find one local. Surely one of you guys/gals has a connection.

Try Tractor Supply, they have local stores. Another option is the Brute trash cans by Rubbermaid.

I use a 110 gal fresh water tank and a 175 gal salt water tank. The the tanks are great if you have the room and mixing salt once every two months is bonus. The gallon markings on the side also make mixing easier. When I purchased two tanks at the same time, I only had to pay shipping for one tank. I believe both tanks were around $350 for both inclusing shipping. HTH

http://www.ntotank.com/verticaltanks.html

Try Tractor Supply, they have local stores. Another option is the Brute trash cans by Rubbermaid.

No luck at tractor supply for anyone else looking. I thought about the Brute thing, but I really want something I can seal the lid on a little better to prevent evaporation.

I use a 110 gal fresh water tank and a 175 gal salt water tank. The the tanks are great if you have the room and mixing salt once every two months is bonus. The gallon markings on the side also make mixing easier. When I purchased two tanks at the same time, I only had to pay shipping for one tank. I believe both tanks were around $350 for both inclusing shipping. HTH

Thanks for that, but I was trying to avoid shipping. I've seen a ton of sites that have them. I really thought there would be somewhere I could locate them in and around the metro area.

Perhaps someone else may have a contact?

It really does not have to be a 55 gallon if someone knows a place I can get some holding tanks. I do have the same idea in mind of mixing a full tank to do large water changes fast.

I had the same idea and looked all over the internet & made a few calls, but could not locate one at a reasonable price. I am looking into using one of the rubbermaid 100 g or 150 g. tanks which are under $100.00. I do not know if you have room for them, but you can buy them at Southern States. They are used for watering horses.

Edited by Highland Reefer

Based on some past research, I'd say the prices at ntotank.com are pretty good. $70 for a 40G while all the other online places are $90 at best. If we have enough interest, maybe we can do a GB to save on the shipping?

(edited)

I had the same idea and looked all over the internet & made a few calls, but could not locate one at a reasonable price. I am looking into using one of the rubbermaid 100 g or 150 g. tanks which are under $100.00. I do not know if you have room for them, but you can buy them at Southern States. They are used for watering horses.

Yeah, I am currently using a 100g for my sump, and for a sump they work great. I'm really wanting something I can seal up though, and yes, I have quite a bit of room. My fish room which is the back side of my tank is about 7 feed deep by 14 or so feet long.

I know, I still need to get that tank build thread up.

:blush:

Based on some past research, I'd say the prices at ntotank.com are pretty good. $70 for a 40G while all the other online places are $90 at best. If we have enough interest, maybe we can do a GB to save on the shipping?

That's not a bad idea.

Edited by CHUBAKAH

Did some searching on the net and I found many references (including aquarium sites) to getting 55 gal food grade plastic drums from Pepsi Bottling Plants.

Here is info from the Falls Church City Environmental Web page:

Baltimore Pepsi Plant - Barrels are $5 each. 1650 Union Ave,

Baltimore. Charlie Dickerson, 410.554.7785.

Hyattsville Pepsi Plant - Barrels are $10 each. Howard Turk, Recycling

Coordinator, 301.583.7260 or 301.322.7000

Did some searching on the net and I found many references (including aquarium sites) to getting 55 gal food grade plastic drums from Pepsi Bottling Plants.

Here is info from the Falls Church City Environmental Web page:

Baltimore Pepsi Plant - Barrels are $5 each. 1650 Union Ave,

Baltimore. Charlie Dickerson, 410.554.7785.

Hyattsville Pepsi Plant - Barrels are $10 each. Howard Turk, Recycling

Coordinator, 301.583.7260 or 301.322.7000

Thanks for the info. I'll be calling one of them. Since I am fairly close to both of these places, I would be happy to pick some extra's up & deliver them at the next meeting if someone else is interested. O yea, there has to be a way to make a million dollars out of this deal for me. :wink:

No luck at tractor supply for anyone else looking. I thought about the Brute thing, but I really want something I can seal the lid on a little better to prevent evaporation.

While at the DMV in Leesburg back in late January or early February, I noticed that they ( the Tractor Supply Company, TSC, next door) had some pretty large (100+ gallon) storage tanks in back. They were very similar, if not identical, to the kind that Dave Lin has for mixing and keeping his saltwater. The container looks to be a heavy duty polyethylene container and it does have a screw on lid. Dave modified his with a bulkhead and some plumbing so he could attach a pump and pump the water out into his tank(s).

Edited by Origami2547

Thanks for the info. I'll be calling one of them. Since I am fairly close to both of these places, I would be happy to pick some extra's up & deliver them at the next meeting if someone else is interested. O yea, there has to be a way to make a million dollars out of this deal for me. :wink:

Let me know if you can get these...I would like to get two of them!

Even if you marked them up 50%, you'd have to have some big truck to carry enough to make a million!!

-Carl

Let me know as well Cliff. I'll be wanting at least two, and can come over any time if you would like to take two trucks and get a gross of them.

HA!

I'll settle of 1/2 a mill.

:biggrin:

I have a 55 gal and a 35 gal drum from Pepsi. Bought them from the Hyattsville Pepsi bottling plant about 3 years ago. The drums are used so they will have some of the soda sludge in it. You will need to clean them really well before you put them to use.

I just talked to Howard Turk at the Hyattsville, MD Facility and he said these are the 55 gallon plastic drums with two large holes at the top. I would of liked to have one with the removable top, but beggars can't be choosy. I think I am going to cut a larger hole in the top of mine to make mixing a little easier. The cost at this facility is the same as the Baltimore facility: $5.00 / barrel. They have to be picked up between 7:00 AM and 2:30 PM. You need to pay by check only. Also, thanks Chris for the information.

Anyone who wants to place an order for me to pick-up for them and deliver to the next meeting, please post here. I will pick-up the $5.00/barrel charge at the meeting. :)

I have a 55 gal and a 35 gal drum from Pepsi. Bought them from the Hyattsville Pepsi bottling plant about 3 years ago. The drums are used so they will have some of the soda sludge in it. You will need to clean them really well before you put them to use.

How big is the 35G drum? Are they just as available as the 55? I suspect the 55 might be a little too big for my limited space.

I am definitely in for 2 of these 55G barrels. I will meet you at the April 5th meeting and pick them up form there. I will pay you cash at the meeting. Let me know if this is ok.

John

(703)627-5365 (cell)

How big is the 35G drum? Are they just as available as the 55? I suspect the 55 might be a little too big for my limited space.

I can take a measurement when I get home this evening and give you the diameter and height of the barrel. It's small enough for me to put it in the half bath bathroom on the ground floor of our house.

Put me down for two Cliff, and if you like I will come by your place and pick them up before the meeting so you have less to carry.

Just PM me with details.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

At this point I have the following orders. Correct me if I am wrong:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chubakah: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

Carl: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

Madmax7774: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

DaveS: ? - Questions on the 35 gal size which jnguyen4007 is looking into.

I will hold off on picking these up for a little while since we have some time till the next meeting. I will post a final before I go to pick them up.

At this point I have the following orders. Correct me if I am wrong:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chubakah: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

Carl: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

Madmax7774: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

DaveS: ? - Questions on the 45 gal size which jnguyen4007 is looking into.

I will hold off on picking these up for a little while since we have some time till the next meeting. I will post a final before I go to pick them up.

mark me down for 2 - 55 gal barrels!! thanks a million for doing this!

Josh

Edited by yauger

I bought a couple of the Pepsi plant 55 gal drums a few years back. Trouble with them is that I could not get the smell of Mt. Dew (?) out of them. I even scrubbed hard with a soapy Brillo pad and it did little good. The smell had infiltrated the plastic I guess.

I was afraid to use them for fear they would leach some lemon-lime toxin into the tank.

I had the pepsi and dr pepper smell in mine and they lasted for at least couple of weeks. I found it easier to clean the inside of the drums after I partially cut the top.

I bought a couple of the Pepsi plant 55 gal drums a few years back. Trouble with them is that I could not get the smell of Mt. Dew (?) out of them. I even scrubbed hard with a soapy Brillo pad and it did little good. The smell had infiltrated the plastic I guess.

I was afraid to use them for fear they would leach some lemon-lime toxin into the tank.

This same issue has been brought up on quite a few threads on the internet. The final consensus, was that if you rinse them out at least three time and clean them as best as possible, that there would be no harmful residues left. :) There were more concerns with what was used to clean them with, as far as toxins go.