Suggestions for frag rack?

I need frag racks for my 20g tanks and am looking for something other than egg crate.

The egg crate I was using is growing way too much algae. I have a few bristletooth tangs in the 20's to control algae but the egg crate also grows the really tough algae (bryopsis?) that no tang will eat and I can't risk it getting into my display.

I am not a fan of the magnetic racks because eventually the inside magnets start to rust, and I am pretty sure that is pretty bad for the tank.

Suggestions?

I'd love to hear about lower maintainance options too. However I can imagine anything that provides a similar amount of plug spaces for anything close to the cost. My current plan is to just have about 2x the number of needed eggcrate racks and swap them out once in a while so I can do a vinegar soak to clean them off.

I just got in a blackrock reef one that was suggested by several people here on WAMAS. I love it. Built solid and very strong magnets.

(edited)

I use these. Not all plugs will fit, though. LiveAquaria ones will fit, for example. That is for your own frags to grow. Frags from other sources should be really cut off the plug to minimize the danger of unwanted living creatures moving in. Cut off the frag and reglue to a new plug, if needed.

http://theblueglow.com/shop/

Edited by marinap

what about those frag trees things that looked like a christmas tree? saw it at quantum reef and thought it looked pretty neat.

I'd love to hear about lower maintainance options too. However I can imagine anything that provides a similar amount of plug spaces for anything close to the cost. My current plan is to just have about 2x the number of needed eggcrate racks and swap them out once in a while so I can do a vinegar soak to clean them off.
black egg crate seems to get less buildup from what I have noticed.

Give the black egg crate a try. I've heard/read many times that it doesn't grow the algae like the white stuff does. It's what I'm going to go with on my frag tank when I finish with the 200. I'll be sure to post algae results once it's up and running :)

That's really interesting. I have never heard that about black eggcrate before. Now I finally understand why I'm always seeing people ask where to buy black eggcrate. Guess I need to search those threads and find out!

I kow Quantum Reefs carry it - it's where I bought mine. I'm sure it must be out there at other places too - but I have no idea where!

• 2 weeks later...

Received the blue grow racks yesterday. I like them but they aren't as sturdy as I was expecting and I don't need 4 different heights.

I like the blackrock racks, I have had them in the past but am looking for freestanding, no magnets.