Go salt or go home. First ever tank! 29G

howaboutme

make the screen....you will be happy you did....

Well..Ok...I will!

I just remembered that I have everything except the frame and mesh. I know the BRS mesh is better in terms of light diffussion (or lack thereof) but I think I'll try my hand at using window screen or bird nest mesh from HD. Wonder if I will have time this weekend...

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have like 50 million sq.ft. of the bird netting left over. I could give you some if you want. I'm probably not far from you. I really don't see why you would need to order the clear stuff from BRS, as the black version I have doesn't appear to block any significant amount of light. Here's some pics I just snapped. Probably could see better if it wasn't after "lights out". I used some eggcrate on the rear to avoid having to make an irregular shaped screen top, which I'm fine with, because I have swimming space behind my rocks, so no corals at the rearmost portion of my tank.

IMG_20130326_231035_zpsb27c8a76.jpg

IMG_20130326_231047_zps87034f5d.jpg

I have like 50 million sq.ft. of the bird netting left over. I could give you some if you want.

I'll take it! But just 1 million of it, if that's ok? I also like the idea of using egg crate in the back which would solve needing to do turns w/ the screen frame. I'll send PM.

When getting the BRS netting - you can get 1/4" size instead of the 1/2" you have. I don't know how big a deal that difference is but I have seen a comment or two over the years about people losing fish to 1/2 spaces (egg crate/netting). The 1/2" would certainly stop the bigger guys though.

When getting the BRS netting - you can get 1/4" size instead of the 1/2" you have. I don't know how big a deal that difference is but I have seen a comment or two over the years about people losing fish to 1/2 spaces (egg crate/netting). The 1/2" would certainly stop the bigger guys though.

Yeah, I've read the same things. It's a bit of a concern. I guess I'll have to hold off on the six-line, at least for this build. I can always re-do the netting if I need. Free is good and usually trumps a lot of things. :)

For me, and the fish I'm interested in keeping, free could have been a very expensive way to go :)

Good luck!

Well worth it.. I came home to another fish on the floor, so now I have ugly eggcrate on top until I can make something that will look better., Luckily I havent lost any expensive fish yet, but still sad losing them no matter what...

Man! You guys are good! Errr!!! I won't get to $175 for free shipping, even w/ all of that auto shut off float valve stuff. :angry: ...actually, the 3x7 mesh will work, I get 2 shots w/ that size.

trock,

Can you explain your "free 'shrooms or leathers" comment from earlier?

Thanks.

I also have a lot of the Birdnetting (1/2) left over if you need some.

Well...I just looked at my tank and studied it intensely. Earlier today, when we talked about the egg crate vs mesh cover, I forgot about all the sh*t on my tank since I don't have a sump. With that said, I have decided to do egg crate and take my chances with the light. I won't paint it black though because that will absorb light. If I did the mesh, the framing would be messy and a bit complicated trying to get around the skimmer and power cords. I think the egg crate is the best option considering what I have going now. I will post a pic once I'm done so all will understand what I am talking about.

My next build will be done "right". By the way, is it wrong of me to already be thinking about my next build? I mean, it's been barely 2 months...I'm thinking a 30x30 cube in the same spot as my tank now. The dimensions are perfect...Ah..I digress. I need to get this right first.

lol 2 months... your behind the curve....

I started my second tank 2 weeks after i had finally gotten fish in my 1st, lol then started the 3rd not even 6 months later... started with a 14g cube, then a 35g custom acrylic then to a 150g, lol...

Well...I just looked at my tank and studied it intensely. Earlier today, when we talked about the egg crate vs mesh cover, I forgot about all the sh*t on my tank since I don't have a sump. With that said, I have decided to do egg crate and take my chances with the light. I won't paint it black though because that will absorb light. If I did the mesh, the framing would be messy and a bit complicated trying to get around the skimmer and power cords. I think the egg crate is the best option considering what I have going now. I will post a pic once I'm done so all will understand what I am talking about.

My next build will be done "right". By the way, is it wrong of me to already be thinking about my next build? I mean, it's been barely 2 months...I'm thinking a 30x30 cube in the same spot as my tank now. The dimensions are perfect...Ah..I digress. I need to get this right first.

lol 2 months... your behind the curve....

I started my second tank 2 weeks after i had finally gotten fish in my 1st, lol then started the 3rd not even 6 months later... started with a 14g cube, then a 35g custom acrylic then to a 150g, lol...

I literally smuggled a coral past my fiance in an empty coffee mug a couple nights ago. My build is called one room 2 tanks. Sometimes I pretend to get a glass of water and go look at my tanks in the moonlights. Even my dog is jealous of the attention I give to my reef. All my friends tell me I have a problem and an expensive addiction (I do,) but they make it sound like I'm a drunk, homeless, gambling addict.

These are my confessions. Don't feel bad. Go as big as you can on your next build, I wish I did, but I'm confined by space in a city apartment. Then again, you can have just as much fun with a nano, imo. Whatever you do, don't listen to me, I'm a drunk homeless gambling addict!

thats why they make corner pieces so you can make work arounds cords etc....

LOL when my husband is gone... Im at IC as much as possible on my nights off, lol

I tell him I 'trade' stuff for frags.. thank god he doesnt look at the bank account, lol

These are my confessions. Don't feel bad. Go as big as you can on your next build, I wish I did, but I'm confined by space in a city apartment. Then again, you can have just as much fun with a nano, imo. Whatever you do, don't listen to me, I'm a drunk homeless gambling addict!

Actually..your 57G is kind of the look I'm thinking. What's the width on that tank? Just curious!

And yes...wife is a bit jealous..I do feel bad. I told her once I get through the first 3 or 4 months, I will not need to be so "on top of things"....

thats why they make corner pieces so you can make work arounds cords etc....

Yes, but have you tried to saw this little pieces? It gets messy.

LOL when my husband is gone... Im at IC as much as possible on my nights off, lol

I tell him I 'trade' stuff for frags.. thank god he doesnt look at the bank account, lol

And thank god he doesn't ask you what you're trading! ha ha...

I give you 2 more months before you are posting WTB 90 gallon.....which I assume will be a cube for you ..LOL.....

I have more control than that. :ohmy: I need to prove I can keep fish and easy corals alive and thriving first, maybe 1 year...man that sounds like a long time!

Actually..your 57G is kind of the look I'm thinking. What's the width on that tank? Just curious!

And yes...wife is a bit jealous..I do feel bad. I told her once I get through the first 3 or 4 months, I will not need to be so "on top of things"....

It's a beautiful tank. 36x18x20. The rimless look is sexy to me, and really brings the tank home. When the apartments cleaned up, and I don't have buckets and skimmers and cords all over the place, it really is a centerpiece. My fiance turned to me and told me it was her favorite thing in our place, which is all I've been waiting to hear for about 6 months, haha. I really do love it, which is why I have it! But Deep Blue makes a really nice 80 gallon rimless I've got my eye on... just saying!

Yes, but have you tried to saw this little pieces? It gets messy.

And thank god he doesn't ask you what you're trading! ha ha...

I have more control than that. :ohmy: I need to prove I can keep fish and easy corals alive and thriving first, maybe 1 year...man that sounds like a long time!

I am bookmarking this so I can say "I told you so"

I was just saying there are a lot of nice members who would be willing to give away leather frags.. If I still kept leathers I would. Just put up a post looking for easy beginner corals and lots of really nice people will sell them really cheap or often for free.. Its a great way to get started, and down the road you can pass along some frags of those corals to other new members..

I was just saying there are a lot of nice members who would be willing to give away leather frags.. If I still kept leathers I would. Just put up a post looking for easy beginner corals and lots of really nice people will sell them really cheap or often for free.. Its a great way to get started, and down the road you can pass along some frags of those corals to other new members..

Yeah, I just figured it out. Thanks for clarifying. Actually, instead of the bird netting, Smorf is offering me some corals for just this reason. I appreciate the help.

I have attached a couple of images below showing the latest condition of the tank. I put the egg crate on the tank and made cut outs as necessary. As you can see, it's a bit messy not having a sump. But that's okay, I'll make due and do it right with my next build. The Corallife light goes on pretty well and it's a substantial difference compared to the old T8's. Since these Corallife's are just temporary lamps until the next Evergrow GB, I am looking forward to even further improvements.

I am going to start acquiring and learning how to keep some beginner LPS or Softies w/ these lights and hope they will work until I get the evergrows. I'm also looking to add a goby/shrimp pair that I've talked about at some point. I still need to keep an eye out for my nitrates, which tend to kick up to 20ppm right before a wc. I'm going to double up my wc's to twice a week to help control them. I don't believe it'a s huge problem as my tank is still growing the bacteria that's needed to control the parameters.

The first images shows the 2 clowns "hosting" the back, top right of the tank. I am not considering an anemone (yet) but wonder if I can have a frogspawn with my current lights? Thoughts on that?

post-2633579-0-62723700-1364690856_thumb.jpg

post-2633579-0-63523600-1364690860_thumb.jpg

Frogspawn will do just fine. Throw some on in. I only had compact florescents in my 14biocube, and they did just fine. Here is a pic of it before I moved everything over in to my new tank:

DSC_0276_zpscb6d7b87.jpg

Edited by YHSublime