Possible Tunze Stream and Ecotech Vortech kill

ridetheducati

I refuse to pay $450 to buy a MP40. It is really a simple device and should not cost that much. I am glad there is something similar and does not cost an arm and a leg.

While I'm sure they have a profit margin on the Vortech, calling it simple is far from the truth. Moving a powerhead, through a tank wall, with enough effiiency, is far more difficult than you'd think. I've yet to see anything with the same appeal - everything else is bulky by comparison. Not that I have found the cash to buy one, but I would over almost all other competition at this point.

You get what you pay for in most cases where items like this are concerned. How many people had tank deaths and shocks from the cheap Rio pumps?

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and a review. I'm not sold that its worth spending that much on. I'd get an Eheim powerball (which looks the exact same).

Looks more like a Tunze with a controller than a Vortech! I have 2 MP40s in my 7' tank and a Tunze 6540 on the back, and I have to crank down the MP40s right now, at least until I get my sps back and they need it. My guess is this is going to be of typical Chinese quality, might be OK for a bit but one day when you find the impeller on one side of the tank and your favorite fish cut in half, you might think twice about that purchase. Looking forward to LONG term reports.

john

Still interested in hearing about this. (And I have two Vortech MP40's and other, larger powerheads.) You'll be reviewing it, Tony?

Initially I was going to do a full review including testing, but several hobbyist on RC are doing a great job and I may not have much to offer.

Links?

Similarity with Vortech is in name only it looks, so comparison/discussion that it is not like a Vortech are not worth it in my opinion. Comparisons with the Tunze is in order. This is modeled after the Tunze's, down to the bracket shape/pattern and the cord on the wet side. However, the magnet holder looks to be similiar to the Hydor Koralia. Anyone else notice that they look pieces from existing brands.

So whens the Wamas group buy on these?

Edited by Spelter