Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-2633508-137263886305_thumb.jpg

Pod condos. I'm making sure my mandarin gets fed. Have lots of pods in my cheeto and macro underneath, but will switch these around between my tanks, sumps, and displays. They are stuffed with rubble rock, and zip tied together. The idea was from a link monkiboy shared on the forum. The scissors are for size reference, ones pretty big, but it took a bit of time, and I didn't want to make 4 or 5 small ones.

All skimmers are not created equal. Have the skimmate locker, and need to get a breakout box so I can connect it to the apex, but that requires 1. More room in my sump 2. Knowledge of my apex. Super happy with the avast recirc mod, and the performance is already speaking for itself once the psk1000 and mj1200 fired up!attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1372624922.184411.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1372624955.876356.jpg

sweet. love the avast skimmer.

Nice looking condos! I have seen them made with those bodywash things before, but using rock seems like a better way to go.

Thanks, lets see if they work.

15 hours in, skimming real wet... But it's working.

post-2633508-137278833332_thumb.jpg

sweet. love the avast skimmer.

Thank YOU for directing me down this path, really happy I did.

Nice! I am getting a apex soon, along with a leak detector!

Bought used. If I could do it again, I think I would probably buy new. I also don't have a display. I have this Frankenstein mix of parts I've been collecting, and I still can't figure out quite how to put it all together :tongue: This is tonight's project... to start trying.

love the pod condo

They are super cheap to make, zip ties and some 59c a sheet plastic at Michaels. I had a bunch of rubble rock sitting in a big gallon zip lock that I used.

Did you use the gutter guard to make the condos? I went to make them a long time ago and couldn't find the gutter guard at HD at the time and forgot about them....was thinking of making some from some extra brs screen I had....

Did you use the gutter guard to make the condos? I went to make them a long time ago and couldn't find the gutter guard at HD at the time and forgot about them....was thinking of making some from some extra brs screen I had....

would gutter guard be better than rubbles?

No gutter guard forms the holder and definitely use rubble rock completely stuffed in there.....use the plastic ties to hold it all together....

I couldn't find the gutter guard. I had recommendations for making a nem trap for my wandering anemone, and I ended up using the same material for the pod condo's, as it works, and is porous and enclosed. It's plastic sheets used for cross stitching.

would gutter guard be better than rubbles?

Gutter guard is recommended for wrapping rubble rock, not stuffing it with. I posted a link to the material I used above. I've found numerous uses for it already around the aquarium, ended up getting about 5 sheets.

Just roll the gutter guard into a cylinder and cut a piece for the bottom...zip tie it all together and put one across the top for a handle...make at least two to keep swapping them between dt and sump

I couldn't find the gutter guard. I had recommendations for making a nem trap for my wandering anemone, and I ended up using the same material for the pod condo's, as it works, and is porous and enclosed. It's plastic sheets used for cross stitching.

Gutter guard is recommended for wrapping rubble rock, not stuffing it with. I posted a link to the material I used above. I've found numerous uses for it already around the aquarium, ended up getting about 5 sheets.

wow, didnt know they make black ones too. i been using the white ones

Where is my pod condo?

DSC_0293_zps6ad44159.jpg

Since I got my RO/DI unit, I have officially hit my 350 gallons mixed saltwater. I would venture to say with my top off water, I've probably made about 500 gallons with it. And that's just with a 57

I don't know what I've documented, and what I haven't lately. I have two new Aussie Elegance's, one is FS if anybody is interested, haven't gotten around to posting it up yet. They have replaced my nems on the right hand side and opened it up a bit for me. Doing a mix and match with my Biocube 29, which is FS btw, but all my softies are doing great in there. Will be moving by October, and don't want to have too much concern with moving TWO tanks, yikes! I have even contemplated putting the 57 contents in the 29, but the red monti cap alone would dominate! Working on my Apex, skimmer is preforming like a champion, as expected.

Rambling at this point, just wanted to brag (or complain, contemplate, realize the amount of cash sunk into my ocean box?)

wow, thats a lot of salt for all that saltwater. dont think i broke the 200 gallon mark yet with my ro di. lfs here said i am probably changing too much water during water changes, so im going to only change 10 gallons every two weeks instead of 28 gallons every week.

So most of you probably read about my great tank meltdown of the 57 overstock. Just to show things are still peachy keen in my DT, here are a couple of pictures. I've added a lot of things, moved a lot of things, and actually, against my better judgement, have realized I've started heading towards a lot of SPS. Still love my LPS though. I think I'm getting ready to send the Orange Bristletooth onto her new home soon, she's my favorite fish by far, but she's growing pretty quick, and eating a lot. She goes through about a sheet of sea weed a day, and is the first to lead the feeding frenzy.

DSC_0303_zps0ce2eb8f.jpg

New hammerhead algae free magnet:

DSC_0302_zps8b0d34d6.jpg

Huge rock of liams cloves that boiled. Let's see if they come back:

DSC_0297_zps0d099ecf.jpg

Boiled zoas:

DSC_0299_zpsd710ca9c.jpg

Boiled pally rock in the back left:

DSC_0298_zpsa3220887.jpg

Two more colonies of boiled zoas:

front center, back center

DSC_0296_zpsb5cd8166.jpg

None of my frogspawn made it, all completely melted off the skeletons, the above pictures show what look like they may have a CHANCE. Who knows, only one way to find out.

Anyways... the good stuff:

DSC_0295_zpsa0065bed.jpg

Gave a handful of these away, hot pink palys, looks really nice in the blues:

DSC_0294_zps61b4535f.jpg

DSC_0289_zpsa5ea71d4.jpg

DSC_0293_zpsdc80f176.jpg

DSC_0291_zpsb1f400dd.jpg

DSC_0292_zps451c2ef9.jpg

DSC_0287_zps297edb2a.jpg

DSC_0288_zpsc9d48af3.jpg

DSC_0280_zpsc41806eb.jpg

DSC_0283_zps73216cd5.jpg

Rock nem finally coming around:

DSC_0285_zps7cd5bad8.jpg

Baby nem:

DSC_0281_zpsb76d70a3.jpg

DSC_0284_zpsf23bea1b.jpg

Mushroom garden:

DSC_0300_zps0022d1b1.jpg

Flower petal monti:

DSC_0307_zps448813f0.jpg

DSC_0308_zpsb0ca7db4.jpg

DSC_0309_zps52146ac2.jpg

DSC_0312_zps0011ea19.jpg

You're probably, like me, wondering how my scallop made it all the way up to the rock right behind the top of my overflow. The green monti was burnt from the birdsnest colony that was leaning on it, I've since moved it.

DSC_0310_zpsf4e22dbc.jpg

Tank looks amazing!!

very well done son

Now step away from the auctions ABD go to bed ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tank looks amazing!!

very well done son

Now step away from the auctions ABD go to bed ;)

Thanks, Jenn. I've got a couple pieces coming through at frag fest, and I think I'm going to pull in zoas to fill up the extra spots.

I do need to step away from the auction, chalice can be an expensive addiction.

I'm bound to get some good luck coming my way soon, this week I've:

-Lost my wallet (I've never lost my wallet before, I'm really anal about that kind of thing)

-Had a tank meltdown

-Broke my Macbook tonight when it somehow fell out of my backpack while I was getting out of my Jeep.

Thanks, Jenn. I've got a couple pieces coming through at frag fest, and I think I'm going to pull in zoas to fill up the extra spots.

I do need to step away from the auction, chalice can be an expensive addiction.

I'm bound to get some good luck coming my way soon, this week I've:

-Lost my wallet (I've never lost my wallet before, I'm really anal about that kind of thing)

-Had a tank meltdown

-Broke my Macbook tonight when it somehow fell out of my backpack while I was getting out of my Jeep.

The first half of my year was just one great big charlie brown time as well....all you can do is keep moving forward through the struggle with your head up. I lost wallet in Bahamas in January just before my flight home... I feel your pain. It was an awful feeling...

Have apple care on the Mac book?

Tank melt down is a right if passage BTW...lol like a bad hazing....congrats! You're truly a reefer now ;)