Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a few years, in a more permanent home you may want a larger tank..

so just see if you can get a smaller Achilles ...I know they are hard to come by but if its your favorite fish....

We will see. Vendor, pricing, and QT time is all playing a big part into who I decide to go with. There is the option of going with Live Aquaria and setting up a temporary 100 gallon, but then I suppose I assume 100% risk. We have so many awesome vendors in this area, I'm sure I can find exactly what I'm looking for!

I have a very small chocolate Quantum got me last year, If you could get a small Achilles like Kim said, you'd be golden for awhile. I have always read they don't do well in small systems, not that a 150 is small, but....

I like them a lot. I guess I will see what's avaliable. I'm thinking maybe I'll add the tangs along with my other fish, and then the rest of the list?

That's some neon coralline you got yourself... ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Haha, my buddy came over and essentially set my camera for me, I don't even know what it's on. I want to get it just right, and be done with the "It's so blueeeeeeee" or "your coraline is so neooooooooon." :tongue:

Ghost feeding helps build and maintain the biological filter. Otherwise the bacterial population can decline. You can ghost feed a little food as if you were feeding fish. Of course, you don't have fish that eat and generate waste to maintain the bacteria, so the food basically simulates the waste. By ghost feeding, you can build up the bacteria (and pod) population in your tank and make it ready for adding fish.

Sent from my phone

Ghost feeding helps build and maintain the biological filter. Otherwise the bacterial population can decline. You can ghost feed a little food as if you were feeding fish. Of course, you don't have fish that eat and generate waste to maintain the bacteria, so the food basically simulates the waste. By ghost feeding, you can build up the bacteria (and pod) population in your tank and make it ready for adding fish.

Sent from my phone

Great, thanks for catching this. I will start ghost feeding. How much is enough? I remember reading it was a rule of thumb to feed for 3 fish? But I can't remember what size tank that was for. Also, as per Vargas suggested methods (I finally took the book off my shelf instead of just asking what to do) I should do a 50% water change, but I suppose I should wait for my nitrates to drop to 0 first? Then water change, then ghost feeding for the rest of the time period?

You can actually build up how much you ghost feed. That is, start as if you're feeding a couple of fish and build up. I would wait for the water change. Nitrates always drag out because the anaerobic bacteria grow a bit slower. Continue to watch the nitrate and it should decline on its own. You can help push this along later but, for now, patience is probably the wiser and beneficial path.

Sent from my phone

Great, thanks so much! I'll throw a pellet pinch in right now, as I'm sitting on the couch listening to the quiet gurgles of my sump.

for now, patience is probably the wiser and beneficial path.

Ah. I'm working so hard on this one. SO hard.

Skimmer isn't really pulling out much, started a little dirty, mostly all clear now, will see how it goes once I start ghost feeding more than once.

Hooked up my other it2080 just to see how it would look with the other one. It's going to be nice, blues are at 50%, whites at 100%. I currently run a 50% to %70 ratio on the 57, but this tank is a little deeper, so I think the 50/100 will be just fine. Just need to figure out what we're going to do with the space behind the top along the wall. Probably just leave it. The home depot bucket is my temporary ATO bucket, it'll be moved. The wires in the sump will all be worked out once I hook up the apex.

DSC_0287_zpsa966abf6.jpg

And a quick video of it all, if y'all aren't sick of these yet:

negative S   P    A    C    E...

i dig it. i definitely see you adding more rock, though just with the size of the thing and all the real estate you could create for more corals, you coral junky.

thanks for the video. i plan to follow in your footsteps once i get plumbing done.

is brad letting you put some more rocks in there or do you have to wait until he moves?

You should see the pieces I have waiting to go in!

But in all seriousness, that's it. The pieces that are going in from the 57 will be a huge rock that my red monticap is attached to. and then the 2 rocks on the bottom that it rests into, which currently have one of my RBTA's, as well as my GLTA. That alone will fill up most of the right side of the tank. The rest of of the rock will go into the sump.

negative S   P    A    C    E...

i dig it. i definitely see you adding more rock, though just with the size of the thing and all the real estate you could create for more corals, you coral junky.

thanks for the video. i plan to follow in your footsteps once i get plumbing done.

Conceptually, I have a pretty solid idea of how it's going to work out. One thing I've learned is never say never, unless it's going fallow and you have a bet with Jenn. I'm not going to rule out the more rock, but in my head, this is how it's going to work. I will start trying to put up more videos as I accomplish things. I'm more of a picture guy, but once I get fish, videos will be the only way!

The lights look awesome! And the tanks looking good...have you thought of making a table/ facade to cover your sump?

Very happy with the lights, they have been serving me well. I have thought about making something to cover the sump up. I really like it open and out, as it makes it really nice to work on. At one stage I was planning on growing Mangroves out the middle. I certainly haven't ruled out covering it up. I've mentioned that we don't plan on staying here long, so nothing is set in stone. It wouldn't be that hard to create a hinged "L" to just go over I guess.

Very happy with the lights, they have been serving me well. I have thought about making something to cover the sump up. I really like it open and out, as it makes it really nice to work on. At one stage I was planning on growing Mangroves out the middle. I certaionly haven't rulled out covering it up. I've mentioned that we don't plan on staying here long, so nothing is set in stone. It woudln't be that hard to create a hinged "L" to just go over I guess.

I was thinking more like 4 legs with 2x4's screwed in across the front/sides to hold the legs together and just a top and front facade board, no sides ...

can be used as an end table? Don't know how much y'all use that room?

I was thinking more like 4 legs with 2x4's screwed in across the front/sides to hold the legs together and just a top and front facade board, no sides ...

can be used as an end table? Don't know how much y'all use that room?

We use coffee tables and end tables to hold all our junk. It would be another spot to accumulate things. I'd rather use it as an experimental mangrove growing station...

We use coffee tables and end tables to hold all our junk. It would be another spot to accumulate things. I'd rather use it as an experimental mangrove growing station...

Ooooo what about the covered idea with a planter in the middle holes drilled in the bottom. Then you can stick the mangrove stems through You can even cut in a sliding door in the top to access the skimmer Etc.

Sorry I'm at a standstill on my build.

All I can say is, you know you have a problem when your fish tank is bigger than your couch. JK

The room looks great, congrats!!

Still needs more rock....

All I can say is, you know you have a problem when your fish tank is bigger than your couch. JK

The room looks great, congrats!!

Still needs more rock....

Yeah, we could do a whole segment on "you know you've got a problem when...

You didn't include the sump in there either ;)

Thanks, next step is the pulley system for the hood, probably next weekends project.

As for the rock, I believe there will be enough in the sump, and the pieces I'm adding are equal to, if not more, than the arch on the left, which btw, is gigantic.

Ooooo what about the covered idea with a planter in the middle holes drilled in the bottom. Then you can stick the mangrove stems through You can even cut in a sliding door in the top to access the skimmer Etc.

Sorry I'm at a standstill on my build.

That's not a bad idea! Although a little bit more work then I'd like to put into it :P

I'd rather cycle it for 90 days, and start filling it up. What's killer is that I won't be able to cycle it and then just dump everything in there, then I'll have to slowly wait.

Unless: I keep feeding during this 90 day period, and periodically add more and more, until the tank is able to handle the abundantly large bio load because I've built it to do so...?

Looking good.

I have a bunch on mangroves from my kitchen tank if you want them. Free

All 14-17"+

Edited by brad908

Looking good.

All 14-17"+

Thanks man,

That sounds awesome, I'll start the sump off right! Text me when works.

Looking good.

All 14-17"+

Well, what do you think about this? And many thanks for them, btw. I poured the dirty water right into the sump with them, and the skimmer showed me that it's working.

6fe49615-a8e7-486a-8d4f-209a12be63c1_zps

Also hung rigged the canopy up to the ceiling. It's not ideal at the moment, as I just did it with parts I had around the apartment, but it get's the job done, and will be fantastic for working on the tank when I need to raise or lower it with ease:

DSC_0288_zps152af200.jpg

DSC_0291_zps910c92e1.jpg

Next step, Apex!