Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This what I was talking about yesterday

46D60428-3D64-43D7-A03B-145E0781CDB7-713

Little crowded for my taste, by I like the idea of a large diagonal arch and little islands.

I'm going into the office tomorrow morning, so rescue me ASAP. Haha

Stand is on it's way. This is my first time every building something, so it was daunting, but i think so far so good. I went with the design you left me on my other thread from Rocket on RC. It feels solid, and there are just a few steps I need to take in order to make sure it's done. I made it 22" Deep in order to fit my 16" deep sump. I actually accommodated to have 17" deep, but wanted room for play. I went with 40" high, with the 2 x 6 it ends up being 42" high total. I'll have no problems getting in there any playing around below, so that's really exciting for me. Might need an extra tall step stool for working in the back of the tank though! My only concern with the 22" depth, is my tank is 18", which means it will just barely rest on the outer beams. Do you think I should put some support beams down the middle, and along the top?

Good decision to go with new stand!!!!

(edited)

That looks great, but Isaac's fiancee looks a little frumpy.

I've already PM'd Jack about the changes I'd like to make.

Oh, and I'm not talking about the stand. :P

This what I was talking about yesterday
46D60428-3D64-43D7-A03B-145E0781CDB7-713

Little crowded for my taste, by I like the idea of a large diagonal arch and little islands.

I'm going into the office tomorrow morning, so rescue me ASAP. Haha

Sorry I didn't rescue man, I was having a come to Jesus moment with the miss.

That looks really nice, but also kind of crowded as well, trying to go even more minimalistic.

Good decision to go with new stand!!!!

i know it's kinda late to ask but.... Is that pressure treated wood?

Oh man, I hate to disappoint... and no, it's not pressure treated.

So this morning I got the whole "if you're keeping that tank in here, you're keeping that stand and hood" talk. She's none to happy with my stand, although she doesn't understand that once I cover it up, paint and add trim, it's going to be freaking awesome. I explained to her how sumps work, and my dilemma with such a low stand, and we compromised with letting me plumb the sump outside and to the left.

DSC_0283_zpsf819b4e0.jpg

This is probably the best solution, as now I can work on the sump no problem, just makes plumbing a little bit harder. So this is what I don't have to deal with anymore. Draining 150 gallons of water, removing 350lb aquarium, removing sump.

150_zps4deced4e.jpg

This happened once to get it in, and it happened once to get it out. I'm done! I do like the stand and the hood, but I can't help but feel like it was built for somebody who planned to plumb behind the wall. This way I can actually stand on the ground, and reach into the back of the tank all the way if need be, which is nice. I mounted my battery backup for the MP40's and finally added some salt. And by added some salt, I mean I added 5lbs of salt. Bulkheads are on standby, and dursos will be built tomorrow. Once the salt is all mixed up and my salinity is good, I've got some live rock that is going in, and I'll be letting er' ride.

153_zps4c37e4af.jpg

151_zpsfe714fed.jpg

Some of you might remember, I still have a 57. My new favorite activity it coming back an hour after lights out and using a flashlight to see what's in my tank. Thus far, I have rekindled my relationship with my pistol shrimp, seen how many pods are in my tank (A LOT) and found a sea urchin who hides under a rock, who I have NO idea how it hitchhiked into my tank. Some shots from this evening:

seaurchin_zpsb550e3b5.jpg

DSC_0287_zps9cd58ec4.jpg

Sun Coral (tubestrea) The pic isn't too hot. I feed it every day with a dropper, and it's polyps are usually always out. It's in the shade, and gets a moderate flow. Took about 24 hours till I saw it extend all the way out.. beautiful, I hope to catch up with Pez and Huly's collection :)
DSC_0293_zps63648b57.jpg

My cleaner shrimp, is by far one of the coolest things in the aquarium. My clowns have a pretty good gig with him, as there is an RBTA right below his "spot." I often catch them getting a good cleaning while they chill in their nem.
DSC_0294_zps5c65651c.jpg

DSC_0295_zps29f5e535.jpg

Finally, an in focus shot of my Rastas
DSC_0296_zpsccde0efa.jpg

Dragon eyes
DSC_0298_zpscd27fcc2.jpg

DSC_0299_zps3b1047a1.jpg

DSC_0301_zps6836eb4a.jpg

Frogspawn that Tom kindly gave me after my tank crash, by my ever expanding golden torch:
DSC_0304_zpsd4afbd5b.jpg

DSC_0315_zps93720fc2.jpg

The wandering GBTA that might get rehomed if it can't find a spot soon:
DSC_0317_zpsc4817ef5.jpg

DSC_0328_zpsa09431d3.jpg

DSC_0329_zps1e820b19.jpg

DSC_0332_zpsa6ab5918.jpg

50% open brain, after getting stung by the GBTA:
DSC_0333_zpse0879910.jpg

I thought this was gone, but it's slowly overridden again. It will go in the sump when I tank swap.
DSC_0336_zps83e97858.jpg

DSC_0337_zps9e73e02b.jpg Edited by YHSublime

Are you sure that's a gbta and not a long tip anemone? The tentacles don't seem bubbly.... LTA like the sand...maybe that's why he wanders a lot?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh and FOUR words to always remember

Happy wife happy life ....you were smart to compromise lol

Are you sure that's a gbta and not a long tip anemone? The tentacles don't seem bubbly.... LTA like the sand...maybe that's why he wanders a lot?

Not sure. I've given it an option for just about everywhere in the tank, and it keeps moving about. Don't get it.

Oh and FOUR words to always remember

Happy wife happy life ....you were smart to compromise lol

I'm learning quickly.

my green bta is a wanderer too,lol hopefully in bigger tanks they can find their spot better?

Fingers crossed...? lol.

Looking good! You mind as well get rid of you're TV because when you two are sitting on your couch, your heads will be slightly shifted to the left most of the time....or you can put your 2 leopard print chairs in front of the tank! ha ha...

I've been researching, and you know what, you may be right, Jenn. I think it may have settled, but if not, I'll try the sand. It doesn't look like a BTA, but it was advertised as one when I got it. Hmmm.

Looking good! You mind as well get rid of you're TV because when you two are sitting on your couch, your heads will be slightly shifted to the left most of the time....or you can put your 2 leopard print chairs in front of the tank! ha ha...

Let me tell you a little secret. 5 months ago I canceled our cable. 8 months ago was probably the last time that tv was on. I have a 60"that is just way to big for the living room, and everything we watch is either streamed through Amazon Prime or Netflix. I hate those Zebra chairs. The only decor I get to choose is the aquariums, which I'm OK with. I just don't understand buying a couch because it looks nice, but it's not comfortable....

Just put the bulkheads in, I'm a lot more confident in them now they are tightened. I have the tank filled with 1.025 saltwater, and an MP40 churning away. I'm about 2-5 gallons shy of hitting the overflows, and tomorrow I'll be grabbing 30' of 1" flex pvc from home depot, enough PVC to make my herbies, and some clamps. Sans a pump this thing should be tossing water around tomorrow night!

so you're going with returns over the back or sides then? sea swirl perhaps?

Whoops. Meant durso!

Build looks killer! I think it's a bta..post a pic under whites LTAs have a unique spotted pattern either under the tentacles on the base or on the oral disc I can't remember which but I'd know if I saw it. I bought a $6 lta at petco when I first started it was labeled as a condy and sure as heck looked like one until I researched.

Wow, lots has changed since I last checked in. I am pretty busy with work, but will give you a call sometime this week to chat and see how you are loving the project :)

Build looks killer! I think it's a bta..post a pic under whites LTAs have a unique spotted pattern either under the tentacles on the base or on the oral disc I can't remember which but I'd know if I saw it. I bought a $6 lta at petco when I first started it was labeled as a condy and sure as heck looked like one until I researched.

Thank you! Eh, whatever it is, it looks like it may have rooted so I'll let it be for now. My huge open brain was stung by it, and definitly was looking better, and then was down to almost base skeleton last night, expunging black strings from it's mouth. I quickly did a 20g water change, and it looked better this morning, but I'm monitoring it closely.

Wow, lots has changed since I last checked in. I am pretty busy with work, but will give you a call sometime this week to chat and see how you are loving the project :)

You know I can't keep my mind made up. When you give me a call I'll let you know what's going on. I've been really busy with work as well, and trying to pump this out in between life and everything else important.

I have some words of advise to those who are struggling with plumbing, or daunted by it. Think Legos. It's pretty fun, and it's really trying to figure out what best works, all the parts go together, and you just need to figure out how, and the best way to do it. It's almost like a puzzle.

In this case, I've been using 1-2" pieces of PVC in between parts to hold them together. A prime example of that would be the 90 degree parts attached for my dursos. Is this an acceptable way to do it? Keep in mind I'm also heavily gluing them together as well, just using it as a middle piece. 

nice progress - make sure you support those drains. you do not want pressure on the bulkhead, especially side to side.

Thanks! It was very quick, and didn't take nearly as long as I thought. I've picked up some brackets to mount the 7' pieces to the back brace of the stand, that should be more than enough. I'll do once more on the left hand side of the stand, right before they come out into the sump, that should provide enough support. Good catch though!

Thank you! Eh, whatever it is, it looks like it may have rooted so I'll let it be for now. My huge open brain was stung by it, and definitly was looking better, and then was down to almost base skeleton last night, expunging black strings from it's mouth. I quickly did a 20g water change, and it looked better this morning, but I'm monitoring it closely.

Hopefully the brain gets better and the Nem stays put for ya! GL

Fts?

I assume this thing is fully up and running with a bunch of tangs and corals by now. :)

Lol brad you know it is....we see his name next to a lit if some fish and corals ha ha...otherwise thats a pretty full 57 ;)

Come on Isaac fess up

Hopefully the brain gets better and the Nem stays put for ya! GL

It's getting better, Nem seems to have found a spot. This picture may show it better:

photo2_zps944fadfb.jpg

Fts?

I assume this thing is fully up and running with a bunch of tangs and corals by now. :)

It's been going for the past week now, I just put all my corals, fish, and live rock in it and let it ride! 

Just kidding. I have picked up both a medium sized yellow tang, and foxface that are currently QT'ing in the 150. Not a real QT, as I don't plan on treating anything. I have a 300W heater, two large hob filters with rubble rock from my 57, and and another one with sponges and filter floss. I have the mp40 for flow, a pvc hiding apparatus for stress, as well as two power heads agitating the top of the water. Plan on putting them in a temporary 100gallon while I move over the rock and what will hopefully be a quick cycle. 

Lol brad you know it is....we see his name next to a lit if some fish and corals ha ha...otherwise thats a pretty full 57 ;)

Come on Isaac fess up

You got me! The 57 is packed, and so is my living room with different saltwater holding containers, Richard came over and helped me with the plumbing last night, and it's ready to get wet, I just need to figure out what pump I'm going to end up using. I think I'll probably end up trying out one of the DC 5000's.

photo2_zps7319651a.jpg

Is that a condy anemone?

Not sure Alan. It was advertised as a GBTA, but I don't think it is. It has amazing coloration to it, and it's oral disk is differently shaped from my RBTA's for certain.