Does my new Copperband Butterfly have ich?!?

Grinder0909

I need some help, I have never run into ich before luckily, but I have only had my 55 reef tank up for a year. I do see what looks like some discoloration on my copperband butterfly's tail fin. If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it. I don't want it spreading to my other fish. I just got the copperband a few days ago, he was eating at the LFS so I took him in good hope that he would eat in my tank. He has been picking off the rocks but hasn't eaten any mysis, kril, brine or pellets yet so I'm still trying. But I really don't know how to identify it, and want to take preemptive action. Thanks, and check out the pics I hope it helps.post-2633566-0-87245700-1360551602_thumb.jpgpost-2633566-0-87245700-1360551602_thumb.jpg post-2633566-0-54398500-1360551111_thumb.jpg

post-2633566-0-47081500-1360551613_thumb.jpg

I agree with the lympho diagnosis. It often appears on newly aquired copper bamds because they are stressed. If he is eating well and in a good environment they will go away relatively quickly on their own. You can also try garlic to help.

looks like ich to me too. i would get it out and into a hospital tank ASAP and begin treatment accordingly.

if you're nearby and need some meds, let me know as i just stocked my qt/hospital tank medicine cabinet a few weeks ago.

good luck, sir.

Edited by monkiboy

I had fish with lymphocystis at various times, so I'm fairly confident that I know what it looks like and it does not look like the numerous tiny spots spread out like this copperband has. I can't tell from the pics if the area on the edge of the tail fin is a small group of tiny dots, or one large thing. If it's one large thing, it may be lympho and the fish may have 2 different infections, but those tiny dots look like ich to me.

what was it eating at the LFS? was it actually eating or was it sucking up the food and then spitting it back out? Feed it whatever it was eating at the LFS.

50/50 chance of these fish living in captivity.

looks like ick. no biggie if it is healthy and eating. leave it alone and observe.

Looks like ick. Needs treatment ASAP.

Also needs to eat. Try to get live brine shrimp or live blackworms to get him started eating. No chance of fighting off disease if he isn't eating.

Not sure where you are located but Pristine Aquariums in Alexandria usually has live blackworms and brine.

So my take from all these responses, which I really appreciate, is that he has ich and if I can get him to eat he should be fine. I dont have a qt tank, and wont have one till my next paycheck. Hes not eatin except what he finds on the rocks, soakin mysis shrimp in garlic is a good option? What about buyin an ich treatment?

If he has ich then it is now in your tank or was already in your tank. Watch the other fish to make sure they don't get an out break of it. Keep everyone happy, well fed, and stress free.

So my take from all these responses, which I really appreciate, is that he has ich and if I can get him to eat he should be fine. I dont have a qt tank, and wont have one till my next paycheck. Hes not eatin except what he finds on the rocks, soakin mysis shrimp in garlic is a good option? What about buyin an ich treatment?

The reef safe ich treatments don't work, as Coral Hind said, its already in your tank, so just try to get it eating to help fight off the infestation.

I have to say ick attack worked on my blue hippo's but I doubled the dosage on the bottle as the guy who told me about it said it didn't do much at the recommended dosage, or they just got over it themselves. I don't know for 100% sure

yet another fish that does poorly in captivity due to lack of eating. looks pretty but has a very specialized diet. if you bought it for aiptasia control, there are much better b-fly choices like a Kleins or even a Tassled Filefish. Peppermint shrimps are better.

I agree: looks like Ich. I would not treat that, but instead focus on getting him to eat. You will find local live brine which is irritable. Mysis is better nutrition (even more irresistable and can be ordered via live aquaria from Florida [Any local vendors with a source?]) I have had fish develop Ich over the years and with good nutrition and low stress, it will pass. IMO, in-tank treatment is vodoo as, if the fish lives, it will recover from the acute infectious phase regardless (to those research types out there, the lack of a control arm makes the [potentially harmful] placebo seem effective as our wonderful speaker pointed out).

"How did 1500G of saltwater cost THAT much?"

yet another fish that does poorly in captivity due to lack of eating. looks pretty but has a very specialized diet. if you bought it for aiptasia control, there are much better b-fly choices like a Kleins or even a Tassled Filefish. Peppermint shrimps are better.

I agree, to me they are not even worth bringing into the hobby, dismal survival rates.

take it back to the LFS. they shouldn't be selling fish that aren't eating and they shouldn't be selling expert level fish to a beginner.

Edited by zygote2k

I agree: looks like Ich. I would not treat that, but instead focus on getting him to eat. You will find local live brine which is irritable. Mysis is better nutrition (even more irresistable and can be ordered via live aquaria from Florida [Any local vendors with a source?]) I have had fish develop Ich over the years and with good nutrition and low stress, it will pass. IMO, in-tank treatment is vodoo as, if the fish lives, it will recover from the acute infectious phase regardless (to those research types out there, the lack of a control arm makes the [potentially harmful] placebo seem effective as our wonderful speaker pointed out).

"How did 1500G of saltwater cost THAT much?"

+1 Perfectly put.