Want to establish "support you LFS Week"?

treesprite

"Support Your Local Fish Store Week"  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should we establish a "Support Your Local Fish Store Week"?

• YES
    • NO

Who thinks we should establish a "Support Your Local Fish Store Week"? I could not find any already established thing when searching on the internet.

I had mentioned in that other thread the 1st week of March, but if it's farther in the future, we could: get more people from places other than WAMAS to join in the "celebration", maybe make fliers or something, and give the shops an opportunity to plan some special advertising or event if they care to do so.

What do people think?

If we establish one, what week would be best?

Local Fish Store Owners/Managers, Please chime in!

Why do we need a special week? Support your LFS every week! At least, give them a chance at gaining your business! Do it TODAY.

Of course, but making a special week is more for the purpose of getting the attention of people who ordinarily take the LFSs for granted. That's why there are special days, weeks, and months for certain subjects... in our society most people don't think about stuff unless someone waves a flag in their faces. Maybe it will get people to see how great the shops are versus online, so they would then continue going to the LFSs. Obviously I'm not talking about just WAMAS, I am talking about making a public thing out of it.

why even worry about the people who take the LFS for granted?

The LFS does just fine by the people who regularly shop there.

You gotta remember that many of us WAMASers are kinda spoiled by the prices here (the forum) that are usually less than wholesale and then some of us expect to get an LFS to match or compete with those prices. It's just not realistic for an LFS to worry about pleasing the spoiled folks.

(edited)

You people are too boring.

Mothers are special every day, but as a society we only give them special recognition one day a year. Going by what people are saying, we really could just do away with Mothers Day and it wouldn't make any difference to anyone.

Edited by treesprite

ok, how would we support our local fish store? how about celebrate by giving the local fish stores a frag of your favorite corals to help them out. make it more like a lfs appreciation day.

ok, how would we support our local fish store? how about celebrate by giving the local fish stores a frag of your favorite corals to help them out. make it more like a lfs appreciation day.

I've given stuff to shops at various time. It's a small appreciation for good customer service, but it doesn't really do anything to support the store, since what they can get for selling it is negligible , and since it doesn't get more customers in the door.

Forrest- we (WAMAS) are such a small percentage of the actual people who frequent the LFS that if we all stopped shopping at LFS, it would probably cause a small blip in overall sales but they would be fine overall. AQUACO was probably the one and only shop that had a large chunk of the sales driven by club members, but there isn't any LFS in the metro area where the club drives sales.

Its a nice thought, but I dont see people rallying behind the concept of supporting the local fish or even pet stores. People may love there pets but very few really care that much for the stores.. Flyers.? No offense, but in the digital age its kind of a joke. I think the already established support local business week is enough, not that it even really makes much of an impact.

I also dont think comparing the appreciation for mothers and fish stores is a reasonable thought. :blink:

I think just bringing to light the fact that so many of us do shop at certain stores, and they do need us as customers...helps

Though i think everyone can be inpacted by a 'support' week no matter if its JUST an LFS....and Ron, if we all stopped shopping at certain LFS' they would definently feel it...granted we dont make up more than 20% of their customer base but for some we make up more than 50%....

What i would like to see is more participation from an LFS....doing some "how to's" or an informative talk about some questions...not just hey go shop here...do make it an event :)

I can tell you right now, that I would feel it if WAMAS did not shop here! I cater and built my business on what the people on this forum want, yes we have locals as well, but the people that appreciate the finer things are here. I say +++10000 for support your LFS every day, but I would take a special week anytime! A thank you frag, sure! More sales, sure!! I'll take it all!

john

I'll say this: I miss my DC area LFSs. Down here there are a few good ones, but not nearly the quality and availability of the DC area ones.