Most acurate Phos test kit

STEVE

What are the opinions on the most acurate Phosphate test kits...both ease of reading and most acurate?

The low range phosphate is not repeatable at all. I have it and can run tests over and over and it is never the same.

I have to agree with MBVette here about the low range phosphate test. I mean it's always close but you do get different results. Last test I did I got 0.02 and then ran it again (I have a bit of algae growth that I'm trying to figure out) and got 0.04.

I think at that low level little differences in how much regeant you get out of the package is the reason for the difference but again at that low level I don't really care so much that there is a difference, 0.02 and 0.04 are basically the same as far as my tank is concerned I think. I **REALLY** wish that Hanna would release liquid regeants like they have for their Alkalinity test or at least redesign the powder packets so it isn't so darn difficult to get everything out. While their Alk test is the easiest, greatest thing every as far as testing goes IMO.

Having said all of that I still think the Hanna tests are the best out there by far. (I've heard bad things about the Calcium test) Even if there are some issues with them the accuracy is really just to much to pass up, at least for me. Especially for things like phosphate where a little can make a big difference.

Can't go wrong with Salifert or LaMotte. I've used both of these tests for many years and each is reliable and repeatable.

One problem that I've seen with digital testers that use a glass vial is that the glass vial must be extremely clean before using it. I watched someone at a LFS obsessively clean the whole vial for nearly 5 minutes. When asked why, she stated that any kind of light interference will skew the actual reading.

Never had those problems with Salifert or LaMotte tests.

The low range phosphate is not repeatable at all. I have it and can run tests over and over and it is never the same.

I'll say again here, I've had only consistent (meaning repeatable) results from the ULR Phosphorus test in over two years of using the device. Keep in mind that this particular test reads with a resolution in the parts-per-BILLION range, rather than a parts-per-MILLION.

Regarding accuracy, unless you have a calibrated phophorus standard to measure against, how do you establish, and therefore, answer the question of accuracy?

I'm not even sure if we are completely concerned about accuracy, more about consistency. If I know I run all the time at .02 fine. But if I test not and get .02 tomorrow get .06 the day after .04 how do we know if its a water issue or a testing issue.

What are the opinions on the most acurate Phosphate test kits...both ease of reading and most acurate?

I'm not questioning the accuracy...I was asking for OPINIONS on most the most acurate and ease of reading. You are correct Tom, unless your comparing to a" known", it's impossible to determine the accuracy of any measuring device.

I can only speak for my results....If I check it within 4 minutes of the prior test, back to back, sometimes I get a different reading...not every time, but sometimes. I have since been told to try to clean the vial (outside) with rubbing acohol prior to using it, to ensure that it is as clean as possible.

I'm not even sure if we are completely concerned about accuracy, more about consistency. If I know I run all the time at .02 fine. But if I test not and get .02 tomorrow get .06 the day after .04 how do we know if its a water issue or a testing issue.

Scott, try running tests back to back. That's the measure of consistency. If you're measuring day to day, the time can be a factor. Especially in a case like yours were the situation's not settled and you've got photosynthesizers that consume nutrients during the day and release waste at night.

A few pieces of advice regarding the ULR Phosphorus test kit:

1. Always take your water sample from at least an inch below the surface so you don't pick up any unseen films from the water's surface. Use clean equipment.

2. Be sure the glass vial is clean and free of any residue from prior tests, both inside and out (this includes the inside of the cap). Keep the outside free of fingerprints while testing. (Keep a clean towel handy for this part.) Use the same vial for the calibration part (C1) and measurement part (C2) of the test. Make sure the checker lid is down completely for both parts of the test, too.

3. It's easier to pour the powdered reagent into the vial if you take an old plastic card of some sort bent into a "v" shape, pouring the reagent onto the card into the "v." This makes it easier to get most of it into the vial cleanly as well as ensuring that you're not under-dosing the reagent. This is actually the first thing I do before a Phosphorus check - even before taking the water sample.

3. Swirl, do not shake the vial, to dissolve the powder. Occasionally turn the vial over to ensure it's well mixed. Follow the directions regarding timing - about two minutes of agitation. (The idea is to dissolve the reagent without causing microbubbles.) Then, place the vial into the checker (ideally with the same orientation as when calibrating, but I've never found this terribly important to do) and close the checker lid completely.

These are some of the things that I do and, as I've said, my results (even non-zero results) have been reliably consistent over the years.

I use the Hanna low range Phosphorus test kit and have for about a year. I find it mostly reliable and with time can tell when a test is an outlier. I have always just bent a piece of paper making a funnel and poured the reagent into it. Never been an issue. Also I shake rather than stir the mixture and after about a minute or so just turn it upside down gently a few times to remove any bubbles. Hardest part is remembering to look at it after 3 minutes with no buzzer and only about 1 minute to see the reading, I've missed it about 30 times....possibly I have short term memory issues.

Your not the only one BaySailor, I miss the readings all the time because I get distracted and it auto shuts off. Usually some brief cursing ensues before retesting begins. ;)

I use the Hanna low range Phosphorus test kit and have for about a year. I find it mostly reliable and with time can tell when a test is an outlier. I have always just bent a piece of paper making a funnel and poured the reagent into it. Never been an issue. Also I shake rather than stir the mixture and after about a minute or so just turn it upside down gently a few times to remove any bubbles. Hardest part is remembering to look at it after 3 minutes with no buzzer and only about 1 minute to see the reading, I've missed it about 30 times....possibly I have short term memory issues.

Your not the only one BaySailor, I miss the readings all the time because I get distracted and it auto shuts off. Usually some brief cursing ensues before retesting begins. ;)

:laugh: I babysit mine for the whole 3 minutes for fear that I'll miss the reading. It's the longest 3 minutes of the day sometimes.

:laugh: I babysit mine for the whole 3 minutes for fear that I'll miss the reading. It's the longest 3 minutes of the day sometimes.

Yup, I actually just found this topic right after trying to use my new hanna checker and was frustrated enough to try and find some tips. I will try the rubbing alcohol and 1-2" bellow waterline ideas.