can you use hot glue in the tank?

MBVette

I just got a new nori clip that has the suction cup on it. Now i know those suction cups are worthless so i wanted to glue the clip to the back of my cleaner magnet. Can i just hot glue it in place?

I wouldn't use the hot glue.......who knows what is in it. I would either use super glue, weldon 16, or just silicone it on.

Or you could get a nylon bolt and nut from home depot and build a little holder for it. I stole this idea from Braden:

0103131656_zpsfd79f265.jpg

0103131657_zpsb4a833dd.jpg

I seem to recall a thread somewhere where people actually tried using hot melt glue to mount frags. While it would kill some coral flesh, it did fine.

I recently embedded a magnet within the cavity a suction cup on a feeding clip using silicone sealant. I now just stick the clip onto an old Koralia magnet mount inside the tank. Works great and I don't have to fish the clip off the bottom of the tank anymore.

I tied a string to my clip and pull it out after they finish the nori.

interesting concept. where did you tie the other end of the string?

Is Coral Glue higher priced super glue gel?

Usually, but it's more convenient because it's a larger tube/bottle. If you just need a little swing by the local dollar store and pick up a pack of super glue.

While I've never used hot glue in the tank, I've tried it on other things that get wet and everytime it seems to dissolve. Maybe it was crappy hot glue, but I don't use it in water anymore.

I just keep a stock of super glue gel by the fishtank. Seems to be the one thing I resort to everytime I need something glued.. except 9/10 times I glue my fingers together.

I use hot melt glue all the time for prototyping. Granted, I buy an industrial strength version that you probably are not going to find at the corner store, but I wouldn't hesitate to try a craft type for what you want to do. As far as the reef safe aspect, I will let you decide for yourself but I have never worried about the active ingredient EVA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene-vinyl_acetate