Der ABT 156g Build

Der ABT

haha any time man just lemme know, almost always need a trim or a way to find room for another coral.

Really been wanting a bigger tank lately, but then i start thinking about all the extra work for water changes, salt etc and i am happy with what i got, though i wouldnt mind a little bigger

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha any time man just lemme know, almost always need a trim or a way to find room for another coral.

Really been wanting a bigger tank lately, but then i start thinking about all the extra work for water changes, salt etc and i am happy with what i got, though i wouldnt mind a little bigger

Yeah, the tank looks alright ;)

I sometimes think I'd like bigger... then I realize, wait a second. Grass isn't always greener!

haha. Dont get me wrong Very happy with my tank but when yuo hoard corals like i do it would always be nice to have more space

i still need to move some rocks around on the right side of the tank and free up some room but i kinda like leaving alot of swimming room

also its time to add some more flow so im either going to move around the mp40, add another and maybe put the other wp40 in there instead of the wp25.

Also may finally get around to adding some carbon or GFO at some point...tired of seeing the reactors sitting there saying WHY DO YOU HAVE ME ......only had the CARX, biopellets and skimmer going to date...

luckily ive done some fragging lately but the problem is YOU CANT TELL. haha. so i guess i have to do some more trimming or start another tank to store things.

already broke my rule of no frag racks in this tank (currently have 2 little ones)

then comes the garage sale i need to have...wife has busted me on how many reef related boxes are in the garage...hard her believing it was 3 for a loong time...she went looking for something and came back in and gave me a talking to like when i bust my daughter doing something she isnt supposed to.....like hiding my house and other keys for a week and a half

There's some room in my tank, Evan. Better stop breaking your promises to yourself;) next time I swing by I'll bring the camera and the portal.

thanks and I am indeed interested.  I live in Southern MD but work in springfield VA so anytime during the week if you are willing.  My 155 Gal currently has Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Mushrooms, Sinularia, Yellow polyps and some Kenya Tree coral so I'm in dire need of some variety so thanks for anything you can offer with some color! 

Wow so i have had one of those EZblade scraper things on a magfloat i got with an old tank purchase just sitting around holding up a frag rack in the 90...since thats dry i decided to give it a shot.

finally picked up some replacement blades only to find i did not have the nylon screw to go with the nut to keep the blade on the scraper...so just used a metal screw and will keep it clean/dry.

WHY...JUST WHY DID I NOT USE THIS BEFORE>.....i mean what was i thinking...this is the best investment if yuo have coraline...

i scraped my front pane ...cleanest is been since i set the tank up....

sorry no pics so it didnt really happen, will try to update tonight.

Another rookie move

have been getting some extra algea that i shouldnt and a few of telling corals (aka they look funny something is off) were showing a little color loss so started to investigate.

while at my last race (last month) i dismissed a notification on my phone to check my RO filters.....completely forgot about it with alot of things going on in life (sewer drain clog....mine is 180ft plus we found and is now fixed as much as i can afford, car kids, etc excuse excuse excuse) ... and found some batteries for that TDS tester ive had an never use... figured hey ill see if i just need to clean the RO barrell.... 

of course was making water...about 90 gallons made with my DI completely toast....even toast colored.

UGH...so need to use up this crappy TDS water.....was 26 in the barrel first time i tested.... remember the tds meter had been sitting a while so cleaned it off and second read was 40+....woops.

No im going to mount my RO where i can actually see the canister rather than rely on reminders.....also noticed the water line gets alot of condensation from the humidty in the tank room, so need to get a saddle valve to tie in closer to the feed vs the sink many feet away.

also debating on a RO booster pump and doing the 150gpd upgrade.

otherwise not alot to update. finally got at least one doser set up on the frag tanks...now i need to get another one and tie the two tanks together.

wll try to get some pics soon...just need more time to actualy do something on the to do list.

I know it's probably not much help, but I just replaced my filters and I've always got 55 gallons RO on hand if you need it.

I have one of those mag floats with the razor, maybe I will give it a shot, as mine was in the same boat as yours.. just sitting around.

yes, booster pump if pressure is low and the dual 150gpd canister for 300+ gpd is awesome and even better with the dual DI resin so you can monitor and just swap them from position one to two as the first FULLY exhausts and you use every last bit of it then order a new one while the second (still fresh) is going and rotate in/out like that. you'll never look back!

yes, booster pump if pressure is low and the dual 150gpd canister for 300+ gpd is awesome and even better with the dual DI resin so you can monitor and just swap them from position one to two as the first FULLY exhausts and you use every last bit of it then order a new one while the second (still fresh) is going and rotate in/out like that. you'll never look back!

+1

The B&W is at my inlaws in his 150g. happy as ever and paired up with a regular occi.

the black ice of course did not make it, he jumped not too long ago when i was out of town and landed on a ledge and i guess couldnt wiggle back into the water....sorry i reallly liked him

Booster pump...another thing to add to the wish list...why are they so expensive sheesh...

if only stores would take coral for payment

• 1 month later...

Sorry no pics, but they would be horrible if i did....havent been able to do a water change in a long long long long time...had alot of other things going on, mainly my sewer issue which has turned into a huge hassle...i know alot about the sewer system now...But light is nearing and hopefully in the next week or so it i will actually get fixed...waiting on permits now

SO tank looks horrible (no water change in over 2 months now) and ive been so busy with work/kids/life/etc ive been kinda just ignoring the tank cause it depresses me to look at.

but with the sewer issues somewhat behind me im lookign forward to being able to do some work and get things back on track again..

just wanted to say thanks to the wamas masses for all the support offered....now comes the hard part of the hobby...good things happenning slowly...hopefully in a month or two things will be back to where they should be.

Evan you are the come back kid...we are all here rallying around you....your tank will be back in no time with just a little TLC...as sad as it is to look at for you now, in a very short order you will be energized each day seeing the positive changes....baby steps before you run again....remember, a ton of us have your corals and cal always get you up and going again if necessary :)

just glad the sewer issue is on its way to an end....what an awful experience.  

running joke is, Crappy experience....but my daughter is excited to see the big machinery that will be tearing up the street....she know see's yellow flags and goes look a gas line is there and Miss tilly (miss utility) marked em....

so far corals are all living just colors are going away....and truthfully i will have 0..i mean 0 money to put towards the tank for a little while..luckily i have a few boxes of salt on hand. but hey getting alot of points on my CC...

hang in there bud, glad to help out however i can. i'm sure you're less colorful corals are what some on here would only dream of. head up, put things in play like you have, and get it done. you're a champion. let me know if i can be of assistance.

Look man,

I can swing by with about 20 gallons, 50 if you want to pull your truck this way, and I'm sure we could get some other folks to do the same. 1 hour of a bucket brigade to the street, and fresh made water, you'll be good as new.

haha again this is why i love you guys....

its definately on me, i know i could make a water change happen, walking out 5g buckets etc.but its just too much work and with days only being 24 hours i just have too many other fires to put out so to speak...

if anything changes ill be sure to have beer and food ready...mmmm beeer. is it 6 yet.

but most likely next week or so all will be basically back to normal and we will be able to do laundry, showers, make water, change water, Sleep...and eventually enjoy the tank agian....in fact its probably a good think to renew you interest every so often

phew...glad you are finally going to take a shower......even if its still a week away  :laugh:

lol, hang in there Evan!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally a good news update....well partially...will start with bad....Tanks are in rough shape....had some stn issues in my daughters tank from an alk swing and literally have kept my hands outta all the tanks cept feeding....been a trying time for sure and definately been hard to look at the tanks

but now i have a chance to get things on track....FINALLY.....though it will take some work and some time.

here is was things looked like yesterday

IMG_20140422_085947_576_zpsd9d4758b.jpg

IMG_20140422_093440_600_zps354c983c.jpg

Got Holes???

IMG_20140422_101930_216_zps5025c3f8.jpg

NO mermaid shot here

IMG_20140422_132459_129_zpseaf774cc.jpg

and i thought plumbing a tank was annoying....and when i hear someone say pipe bursting i cringe...not anymore....not sure if anyone has heard of pipe bursting but what a cool process when applied to none fishtank lingo.

new pipe....yeh follow it to the end haha 160-170 feet

IMG_20140422_112301_428_zps8f2d618c.jpg

so i finally have sewer...amazing how quickly the guys got it done....so nice to be able to shower, do laundry, flush, bath time for the kids, dishwasher etc without having to plan out timing so things could drain enuogh not to overflow in the basement.

Next step is paying off the expenses....UGH

also need to get back to water changes, water chemistry adjustments, etc...basically back on schedule.

the war since february is now over...hopefully it will be only a little bad news here and there and then all good recovery period for the corals...im guessing ill have some losses besides color (well i know of a few already but eh)

at least its progress....