My Power is Out Already!!!

Steve175

We had a bunch of flickers and 3-4 longer stutters (15-20 seconds) but that was all, so it looks like we got lucky this time around. All in all, we've done pretty well - since moving here in 2000, the longest we've ever been without power was ~ 36 hours (of course, now I've probably jinxed it :tongue:).

We got lucky. Lost power about 4, got the generator set up and planned strategy for mainatining fuel supply, then the power came back on about 7;30.

I did have a moment of stupidity, though. The sump in our basement started overflowing, and I thought "our sump pump is broken," so I threw in a mag9 connected to a garden hose to send water to the floor drain. It somehow did not occur to me that I just needed to connect the sump pump to the generator. Doh!

Just got power back on here in Vienna. Not nearly as bad a storm as it could have been, luckily that thing picked up speed and got out of here.

Let me say, putting a blanket over the tank kept the heat in so incredibly well I was shocked. My tank water was still at 74-75. Battery powered air pump was a lifesaver.

We didn't lose power and no one near us lost it. I know the reason too. It's because I bought a generator. The best insurance against a power outage is to buy a generator. And if you don't like snow storms, there is a way to solve that problem too....

ps My wife is making me return the beautiful Homelite 3750 W generator I bought just before the storm. How sad is that.

We didn't lose power and no one near us lost it. I know the reason too. It's because I bought a generator. The best insurance against a power outage is to buy a generator.

Me too. All that money on a generator and didn't even get to use it! Oh well...

All good at my home, too. No power loss, no trees down. The driving rain did push a little water through a window, though. Nothing major - I had towels on hand and that took care of it.

It sounds like we were very lucky!!! I prepared for the worst and nothing happend!!! Better to be ready than not !!!

My power went out around 8:45 last night but the neighbor brought in a generator and let me hook up to keep the flow going in the tank, the tank got down to 75.5 deg but it's warming up now.

Power came back on this morning while we were out with friends for breakfast around 1030. Friends power went out last night and his wife spent the night bailing out their sump pump, I took a deep cycle battery and inverter up there this morning and got his sump running until another friend brought him a small generator to run it.

(edited)

I just got home after spending the night in the hospital (on call) and we are still on the generator. It would seem that I will get the distinct honor of being first off and last on the grid (maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket).

Edited by Steve175

Out here in the boonies we got hit pretty hard. I lost power at 2:00 Monday and just got it back around 5:00 this evening. 3 battery powered pumps and the woodstove for heat kept the tank well. Lots of wet heavy snow here. Really rough on the trees, lots of broken branches. All the creeks in the neighborhood overflowed for a few hours today and stranded everyone but that has passed. All in all it could have been lots worse.

We're over toward Springfield Mall, the Franconia area. Did you all get flooded out over there?

No flooding yet. We're under a flood watch until Friday, because of the massive amount of runoff.

On a sadder note, even though I kept the temp up and had battery powered air pumps, I lost a Chevron Tang, Coral Beauty, and Chalk Basslet. I'm pretty bummed. Anybody else lose anything?

(edited)

what storm is everyone talking about? it was a day and a half of light rain, no flooding, little bit of wind.

Yawn.

(Yet another hole in the karma bag . . . I hope your yawning during the next storm as well and not listening to a loud churning generator)

Edited by Steve175

We didn't lose power and no one near us lost it. I know the reason too. It's because I bought a generator. The best insurance against a power outage is to buy a generator. And if you don't like snow storms, there is a way to solve that problem too....

ps My wife is making me return the beautiful Homelite 3750 W generator I bought just before the storm. How sad is that.

Don't do it. She's going to regret it in a couple months when she finds herself stranded in a cold house in a snow storm with no heat and no lights.

what storm is everyone talking about? it was a day and a half of light rain, no flooding, little bit of wind.

Yawn.

Consider yourself blessed this is all you saw out of the storm.

"Eqecat estimated the total effect on U.S. economic activity would be between $10 billion and $20 billion."

Also, in my BGE area the 1,238,967 people that lost power would also disagree. http://www.bge.com/customerservice/stormsoutages/currentoutages/pages/default.aspx

On a sadder note, even though I kept the temp up and had battery powered air pumps, I lost a Chevron Tang, Coral Beauty, and Chalk Basslet. I'm pretty bummed. Anybody else lose anything?

That stinks! Why did they die? Did you not have enough O2 exchange? I learned during the big outage last summer that having a light bio-load really helps when the power goes out.

That stinks! Why did they die? Did you not have enough O2 exchange? I learned during the big outage last summer that having a light bio-load really helps when the power goes out.

I have no idea why they died. I've had the Chevron for 6 months, the Coral Beauty for about that long, and the Chalk Basslet for over three years. I thought I had good enough air exchange, but apparently the bubblers weren't enough. In hindsight I should have woken up more than twice to turn on the power heads throughout the night.

It makes me curious how many generators are being returned now. I wonder if they'll have a sale to get rid of some of the inventory?