possible historic stom for halloween

wvreef

I don't no if any of u keep up with the weather like I do but there is a chance we could be dealing with a major storm early next week around Halloween time

For types prone to power outages now is the time to check and re check your batteries, gas, generators and such

Never to early to be prepared

I will keep all posted

High winds and flooding for eastern Virginia

Heavy wet snow for west Virginia and western Virginia

Yes it is all coming from sandy in the carribean

Aquarium One in Rockville had plenty of battery powered air bubblers for sale last weekend. They may be a good place to start if you do not have one yet.

Thanks for the heads-up!! I have to take the fabric canopy off the gazebo before we get any snow. Not like I need it on there these days anyway.

Edited by Marc Weaver

7 days away is too long to accurately predict weather in this region. If you were saying this on the 28th, it would be more predictable.

My bet is some weather in WVA but nothing significant in the Old Dominion.

Nothing wrong with being ready, but looking at the models this storm doesnt look like it will cause us many problems here. Now NY/NJ might get hit hard though

It's about that time to be thinking about winter anyway. If you've got irrigation systems, it's time to drain them down. The same with your outdoor spigots if they're not freeze proof. In my case, I have to decide when to pull the mowing deck off and replace it with the plow blade. It seems like it's about that time again.

I'm interested to see if this one turns out to be of the same caliber as the 1991 halloween storm. That one gave the east coast the best surf in my lifetime and was the basis for "the perfect storm" book/movie.

Tom, what kind of tractor do you have, and what size blade? I was thinking of picking up a used blade for mine, but also thinking of a powered snowthrower instead. Do you think the blade is good enough? I have a walk behind snowthrower too, but was hoping to get rid of it as it takes up too much space in my shed.

7 days away is too long to accurately predict weather in this region. If you were saying this on the 28th, it would be more predictable.

My bet is some weather in WVA but nothing significant in the Old Dominion.

Not necessarily true.

When we had those 2 or 3 back to back storms a few years ago with 24

I'm interested to see if this one turns out to be of the same caliber as the 1991 halloween storm. That one gave the east coast the best surf in my lifetime and was the basis for "the perfect storm" book/movie.

Tom, what kind of tractor do you have, and what size blade? I was thinking of picking up a used blade for mine, but also thinking of a powered snowthrower instead. Do you think the blade is good enough? I have a walk behind snowthrower too, but was hoping to get rid of it as it takes up too much space in my shed.

5 feet, front mounted; probably about 15" in height with hydraulic control for up/down (left/right angle is manual and involves removing and resetting a pin). Kubota ... hm, can't remember the model number off hand. Mid-sized, not a lawn tractor but a compact tractor. Mid- and rear- PTO with a three-point hitch on the back. I'm normally running a 60" mid-body mower during the grass-growing season. This was a must-have when we moved to our 10 acre property last year (about half or so is lawn). The blade, too, was a must-have since our driveway (which slopes downhill because we're on the side of a ridge - I have chains) is around 430 feet long. I bought the tractor used from a guy in the Front Royal area. The blade is ideal for me simply because I think it's more applicable to the kind and depth of snow that we have during a typical winter and the configuration of the driveway. A bucket would probably be more useful if the snow got really deep. Further west, I'd probably have a bucket or a snowblower (either an attachment or large walk-behind) for the big snow events. When I get around to building a large shed (in my plans), then I can get the extra toys.

Not necessarily true.

When we had those 2 or 3 back to back storms a few years ago with 24"+ of snow I was forwarded an email from a 3 letter agency that was warning their employees 30 days in advance. They had the dates of each storm that was going to hit and how much snow to expect from each storm. It was so creepy because all the dates and accumulations were dead on. The email was notifying their employees because of national security they had to get to work regardless.

OMG,

the government is planning storms on us now.

^sweet...

I want in on that!

Snow, right. I would rather live where there is more snow than where I have to run an AC every day for 4 months.

The weather here is so unpredictable, and weather forecasts are sensationalized for "entertainment" purposes, or given with subjective opinions of television weather reporters. I don't believe it until I see it.

Edited by treesprite

Looking at the latest models they r all coming to agreement that the storm will not go out to see

But there is still that chance

I would rather be prepared then caught off guard

Cold front is supposed to pull the storm inland right at the DC metro area. 80% chance of high impact, 20% chance low impact. I'd say the majority of you to the east should begin preparing for power loss at the very least. West of the beltway will probably be fine. We're used to high wind and lots of rain. Keep your eyes and ears open for tornado warnings to the west.

Edited by Amuze