Another newbie

I had the pleasure to sit in on the first WAMAS meeting today and was the nerdy one taking notes during the lecture on 'expert fishes'. As you all can see (picture #1), my 90G is pretty barren as I started with the hobby about 2 months ago when I ordered my tank, learned how to plumb it and cycled uncured LR (a pain but definitely worth it in the end). The majority of my equipment was purchased through Steve & Vince at Quantum Reefs. I am thankful for their wealth of knowledge during these last couple months. Now, I'm enjoying the stable water conditions and having fun slowly adding new critters. I was pleased to have won the raffle for the $200 gift certificate to Fantastic Frags (will be using it very soon), the mixture of yummy coral & fish foods (I assume it's yummy, haven't tried it myself) and the softie (picture #2 below) which I forgot the name of and cannot identify. If anyone can help me out, it was one of the red ones given out at the raffle, I'd very much appreciate it (I like to keep a detailed record of all critters I add to the system). I tried to mount it (it probably wasn't meant to be mounted in the first place -yes I know, mistakes from a newbie) and it got all slimy on me, so I put it into a crevice which it seems to be happy in. Anyways, looking forward to the next meeting and I'll try to introduce myself and talk more...I tend to be shy around unfamiliar settings so please don't take it the wrong way. And if there are suggestions, I'm all ears & thankful. Cheers.

-MB

post-2633423-135087437349_thumb.jpg

post-2633423-135087438847_thumb.jpg

Welcome, Minh! Congratulations on the raffle wins. :)

That coral in the pic to the right looks like a maxi mini anemone to me. No mounting required. It will attach itself like any other anemone. Make sure you dip all corals in Revive or Coral Rx beforr putting them in your tank to avoid an infestation of pests.

Edited by Jan

Hey, let me know when you place an order with Fantastic frags. I have a Gift certificate from them too. It would help to combine an order to save on shipping.

Jan

Edited by Jan

Hey Jan! Thanks. Sounds good to me. I'm thinking in the next week or so, maybe? Before temps start dropping/freezing too much? PM me on your plans and we can arrange something.

-Minh

Will do. Thanks!

Hey Jan! Thanks. Sounds good to me. I'm thinking in the next week or so, maybe? Before temps start dropping/freezing too much? PM me on your plans and we can arrange something.

-Minh

Welcome to WAMAS, and congratulations on the Raffle wins! I'm the guy who was sitting in front of you who won a couple things as well.

I'd also like to get in on this Fantastic Frags order, going to be ordering about $200 worth which brings our shipping down to $0.

Woohoo, awesome! Checked out their website. They have some cool stuff. Only thing I noticed was that the website says at the top it's a demo site & no purchases would be processed. Guess we'd have to email them?

Woohoo, awesome! Checked out their website. They have some cool stuff. Only thing I noticed was that the website says at the top it's a demo site & no purchases would be processed. Guess we'd have to email them?

Ya, I'm not sure about that either, I've never ordered any livestock online. Jan might know.

Also, I looked at their shipping charges again, Gift Certs, don't count to discounted shipping. So only 100-150 of my money will be going for the reduced shipping rate. Better than nothing!

Hi Minh. Welcome to WAMAS. You did very well at yesterday's raffle! I'm glad that a newbie such as yourself received such positive encouragement from the meeting. Please feel free to join in. There's no need to be shy. We're a very welcoming community.

As Jan said, the livestock that you won at the raffle included a red rock anemone. It will attach itself if given a chance. Hopefully, the attempt at mounting it did not do it harm.

You can email Paul Auger, the proprietor of Fantastic Frags, at frags@fantasticfrags.com. Paul's a former member and WAMAS officer. He lives in California now.

Thanks Jan & Tom. I did the Revive as Jan suggested but feel bad trying to mount him on superglue :o( He seems happy and opened up today.

Don't feel badly. It doesn't hurt them. Only try to attach by gluing ricordea and other coralimorphs that are already attached to rubble rock. Anemones will attach themselves. If your coralimorphs do not come attached to rubble rock just place them in a container half filled with rubble rock in an area of low flow (they need flow. Too much flow will push all around the tank.) Wait about a week for them to attach to the rubble and then glue them onto your aquascape.

Thanks Jan & Tom. I did the Revive as Jan suggested but feel bad trying to mount him on superglue :o( He seems happy and opened up today.

"Them" being the rubble to the aquascape.

I don't have any experience with that particular type of anemone, but with all others I have had experience with, it matters little where you want it to be in your aquascape, it

Them being anemones and coralimorphs. Glue wont hurt. Maxi minis and rock flower anemones don't move like bubble tips and the like. Coralimorphs hardly ever move.

"Them" being the rubble to the aquascape.

I don't have any experience with that particular type of anemone, but with all others I have had experience with, it matters little where you want it to be in your aquascape, it's going to be exactly where it wants to be regardless of what you do.

I suppose that the superglue didn't stick as it would have been slimed off. Sometimes, to help something like this attach initially (in a tank with some flow), I'll put some rubble in a small plastic container and the invert inside, covering the top of the container with some netting. This gives it a chance to settle in and attach without being blown about too much, getting sucked into a pump, or over the overflow. Once it settles, move the rubble that it's on closer to other rocks so it can move where it wants to settle in.

so let me know when you'd like to order. I have to find my gift certificate but I'm in.

Ya, I'm not sure about that either, I've never ordered any livestock online. Jan might know.

Also, I looked at their shipping charges again, Gift Certs, don't count to discounted shipping. So only 100-150 of my money will be going for the reduced shipping rate. Better than nothing!

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I'll keep this in mind for the next anemone addition.

Jan, Happyfeet suggest we put together a group order once Fantastic Frags update their list. The website is currently under Demo mode. I'm up for a group order to save $ on shipping & I think you or Happyfeet are more familiar w/the process than I am :o)

No problem. when the site is up we'll communicate to put an order together and figure out logistics.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I'll keep this in mind for the next anemone addition.

Jan, Happyfeet suggest we put together a group order once Fantastic Frags update their list. The website is currently under Demo mode. I'm up for a group order to save $ on shipping & I think you or Happyfeet are more familiar w/the process than I am :o)

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome and Congrats on the win! Wish I could have made the meeting... Joined in July (maybe June) .. anyway the last two meetings were on my work weekend :( Great people here.. Great advice too!