Water Top Off

yauger

so for the longest time in the hobby I have always used a simple float switch and a small pump in a bucket to top off my tanks due to evaporation. and in 10 years or so I have never really had really bad accidents with flooding or the such. but lately I've had some of my friends come over to my place and tease me about my newbie setup ATO. My question is: what do you use? are you like me and want to keep cost low ($10 pump, and $10 float switch) or do you go moderate and buy the JBJ ATO for $80 and call it quits OR do you go high speed and buy a TUNZE OSMOLATOR for $200+ and brag about the quality? now don't get me wrong I'll be the first to tell you high end equipment is well worth the expense (I have a Bubble King 200)but is it really necessary to drop serious cash on something that can be built for less than $20? I don't think one way is more right than the other I guess it is just personal opinion that drives this answer.

what do you run for ATO? and is it worth it?

oh BTW there is nothing wrong with being a NOOB!! haha I totally made a noob mistake the other day that ending up with Skimmate on the floor and me having to steam clean the carpet whilst my buddies making fun of me and fragging some corals! lesson learned, if you remove the skimmer cup; immediately dispose of the skimmate! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I have heard very bad things about the JBJ ATO. Mainly once it breaks its trash, you cannot repair or fix them. The Tunze on the other hand is fixable and a much better product. I can also say Tunze stands behind there product. I however use the AVAST ATO and I think its the best of both. Very reliable and great price, plus you can customize these and use any type of return pump you want. I have 3 of these and one for almost 2 years and its has never given me any issues.

I use 2 float switches wired to my apex. That gives me redundancy and its on a timer so it can't just dump the whole top off tank at once.

Though I haven't programmed it yet, it will also give me the ability to send an email alert when the top off tank is empty. ie - if the pump runs for a full minute, send alarm.

I use an Osmolator and I can't believe how high quality this thing is!! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) But seriously, I do have one and it works for me. I couldn't believe it when it worked from 20' horizontally and 12 feet vertically down in the basement with the stock pump.

Edited by Marc Weaver

Got a tunze used with a tank purchase and love it....otherwise id use the avast ato.

tunze pump is great if you ask me, the first one i had lasted for 5 years with the guy before me and 3 more years with me....new pump is 30 bucks that i replaced about 6 mo ago...

Avast is nice because you can use any pump, even the tunze could be spliced in i would think....and i like the magnet mount (though tunze now has a magnet mount as well)i just have the old hang on style..

the only issue i have with the tunze is the sensor sometimes gets dirty and will think the water level is fine when its low...clean it once a month and your fine (clean as in wipe it off with a paper towel in 3 seconds)

i use mine with a kalk reactor and have only had one issue that was the typical user error but caught it in time.

not sure i would change anything unless i had spare cash (HAH) and put the Kalk reactor on its own pump and left the ATO just plain RODI.

I don't trust float switches or any type of sensor, I don't care how many of them are used redundantly.

I use a simple peristaltic pump (ie, very slow, less than 1 gph) and timer. I set the timer to how much I need, about 40 minutes per day for my tank. Never had a problem in 10 years.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I don't trust float switches or any type of sensor, I don't care how many of them are used redundantly.

I use a simple peristaltic pump (ie, very slow, less than 1 gph) and timer. I set the timer to how much I need, about 40 minutes per day for my tank. Never had a problem in 10 years.

I used a similar approach for about 2-3 years as this. My peristaltic pump delivered 1 liter per hour.

Today, I use an Avast ATO coupled with the same pump. There's enough capacity in my sump, though, that should there be a problem with the sensor, I'd have something like 100 days to discover and fix it!

wow I'm surprised on the number of people who use AVAST products here. looks like Dan really grew an empire! either way it appears that majority vote is for the mid range price solution for an ATO. but then again there are those who don't trust the equipment and do some manual top off or timed slow top off. good results so far, I'm glad I asked. however for myself I'm going to go with the OSMOLATOR so my buddies can stop teasing me!

you have never had a timer fail in 10 years????? thats about the same chances as a switch failing

anything has a chance to fail....

can you trust yourself to top up everyday...i cant.

aw man get the avast with the tunze pump....best bang for the buck...

would never have bought the tunze new at that price...but when it came with the tank...cha-ching.

Ive only said Tunze for the past year !!!!! NOW GO BUY THE DARN THING !!!!! biggrin.gif

aw man get the avast with the tunze pump....best bang for the buck...

would never have bought the tunze new at that price...but when it came with the tank...cha-ching.

the price isn't out of my reach so why not go with "the best" I could go Frankenstein and go with the AVAST but I'd rather not piece together an ATO. right out the box and on to my system broski. besides I have my own gripes with GSA equipment.

Ive only said Tunze for the past year !!!!! NOW GO BUY THE DARN THING !!!!! biggrin.gif

FYI this is the BULLY!!! hahaha I need to call Oprah!!! :cry: :cry:

you have never had a timer fail in 10 years????? thats about the same chances as a switch failing

I've never had a problem with those simple mechanical timers. (like this one: LINK)

I may have replaced it in that time...or I may not have. Not sure.

I've probably been using the same timer for my lights in that time as well. Both for my display and fuge. I don't ever recall having a problem with those things. And they start right back up after a power outage.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Don't use a topoff. Instead, let the salinity gradually creep up and allow the fish to acclimate to the increasing salinity. Believe it or not, they'll actually keep better this way....

gallery_2631296_685_130393.jpg

+1 to the osmolator, I also did much research before pulling the trigger...used would be a score for some $ off the top, to me still worth the value for new.

to the people that don't want to trust sensors (optical eye) or switches, do you not trust probes either (ph, temp) ?

I am with extreme tooth: I have used float switches (midrange electronic spectrapure) for my RODI unit/reservoirs for years and have had them fail multiple times. I have a big Kalk reactor and would've nuked my tank with such a failure. I have used a spectrapure litermeter with a 2nd accesory pump for ATO: pump 1 adds a consistent daily volume of Kalkwasser and pump 2 I tweek ~ monthly to keep the return section volume stable. I have a low volume float switch in the sump wired to the apex to alarm in the off-chance the RO/DI tank is out (despite 150g on a float switch of the RODI unit) or the litermeter cuts out (has never happened). I think Chad uses something similar. Salinity has been rock steady. This system, IMO/IME is about a failproof as you can get.