help with rodi hookup

BowieReefer84

Youve already taken off the aerator off of the faucet? There should be 2 adapters with it..they should be 2 different sizes....screw where the aerator came off then screw on the rodi valve piece...

I set mine up in the laundry room. It was super easy I bought two pieces of hardware. One to split the cold water line. And the other to connect the RODI line to the split water line. The grey water I fed the line right into the waste line for the laundry. Next I purchased a large water bucket to hold the RODI water. The bucket is raised and has an auto shut off valve and drain valve to pour into my mixing bucket.

Both of the threads on the adapter will be outside facing because everything your screwing into has threads inside...if you have a very old faucet then you can go to HD or lowes and get a nother adapter piece..its a pain id just change the faucet...

I set mine up in the laundry room. It was super easy I bought two pieces of hardware. One to split the cold water line. And the other to connect the RODI line to the split water line. The grey water I fed the line right into the waste line for the laundry. Next I purchased a large water bucket to hold the RODI water. The bucket is raised and has an auto shut off valve and drain valve to pour into my mixing bucket.

This is a good idea. I am right next to laundry machines. Have any pics or links to products/fittings you used?

this is exactly what I did as well. Go to Home Depot, they sell a garden hose splitter for about $3, run the drain into the washer drain.

Edited by Rosco's Reefs

i have the same faucet adapter from BRS and also had the same issues with the threads not being correct. Home D\Lowes also has an adapter i bought for few bucks that converted the threads to work with my faucet and the BRS adapter. It was a little trial an error as there are different adapters that look almost identical.

I can shoot a pic of it tonight if that will help...

Or, Mike, even better, hook it up under the sink.

BRS includes the pieces you need to hook it up underneath. Input and waste output too.

Plus you can hide your RO/DI unit under there too.

here is a video on how to install all of the various fittings:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/how-to-install-an-ro-system/

Edited by Ryan S

I think I am going to split the coldwater line on washer and use hose adapter.

Ryan, the sink is a pedestal type with no cabinetry underneath AND I crossthreaded the adapter you are talking about when trying to hook it up last night...

Actually my coldwater line already is split with a brass wye... There is a line to the dryer for "steam" dry cycle. Fancy front loader I guess.

Since we don't use "steam" dry I will just disconnect that and use the hose fitting that came with the rodi unit.

I shouldn't even need to buy anything!

Can I just drill a small hole in the drain and run the waste through the washing machine drain? It won't backflow/overflow the washer will it?

Thanks

Edited by BowieReefer84

I've got this fitting http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/reverse-osmosis-fittings-valves/mur-lok-garden-hose-utility-sink-adapter.html laying around if you want it to screw onto the wye to adapt it to RO tubing. I've also got a drain saddle clamp if you want, my RO is right next to my laundry sink so I just have the wastewater tube in the sink.

Charles, I have that fitting.

For the waste line I am just going to shove it down with the washer drain line. I'll have the rodi unit ABOVE the drain for the washer so it will all flow the right direction.

Thanks though

Actually my coldwater line already is split with a brass wye... There is a line to the dryer for "steam" dry cycle. Fancy front loader I guess.

Since we don't use "steam" dry I will just disconnect that and use the hose fitting that came with the rodi unit.

I shouldn't even need to buy anything!

Can I just drill a small hole in the drain and run the waste through the washing machine drain? It won't backflow/overflow the washer will it?

Thanks

Mike, I'm glad it works out for you!

I figured this would be a good time to point out that you should ONLY use the brass wye fittings in-house... I had a garden hose wye fitting fail on me in the middle of the night a few years back and put ~2" of water throughout the lower floor of my house. When I tried to get an insurance claim, they denied it because I was using a part outside the manufacturer's recommendation (inside when the product said "outside use only" on it).

50 will make water just fine, but will have a higher rejection rate meaning more waste water and a bit less production.

An improvement would be to add a booster pump, but I don't think it's vital.

I see in above pic, there is ahose end right there with a guage on it, what is that for?

I see in above pic, there is ahose end right there with a guage on it, what is that for?

If you are talking the thick brass line with the large gauge and valve it has to do with the sprinkler system in my townhouse.