My 200+ Gallon Miracles Build

:ohmy: I am very confused looking at the sump...looks like a super sump

The sump is awesome. I bought it from another member who was running a 300 gallon system. It has two chambers with an 8" water line for the skimmer section and the other two smaller boxes that are elevated are dual fuge's. Or the could be used as frag tanks. The sump was originally built by NAGA. And this thing is a beast. It also has spots for two filter socks, cryptic zones and more.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sump is awesome. I bought it from another member who was running a 300 gallon system. It has two chambers with an 8" water line for the skimmer section and the other two smaller boxes that are elevated are dual fuge's. Or the could be used as frag tanks. The sump was originally built by NAGA. And this thing is a beast. It also has spots for two filter socks, cryptic zones and more.

So it is a super sump

Can't wait for u to start stocking..

So I installed my threaded bulkhead backwards and installed my dual 1" flow accelerators. Not sure how the flow is gonna be, but I won't know until I get it filled but hopefully it won't blow the sand around too much.

Before

257d98fa.jpg

After

35ba9e4f.jpg

Glad to see that it worked out, I imagine it was somewhat of a tight fit in the back but looks like it worked!

I haven't attached it in the overflow box yet. But turning it around has given me more room to play with. Hopefully this weekend I will get the plumbing finished up and will have water in it by sunday to do the water test.

ummm???wont that drain the tank down alot lower than you want or am i missing something.....looks like the level of the tank during power outages will be 2 inches below the overflow level because of the syphon it will create (unless its a closed loop)...aka flooded sump?

The sump holds about 100 gallons before it overflows. I am planning on having 50 gallons of water in the sump during normal operations. When the power goes it the main tank should drain about 20 gallons if it drops 2" from normal operation. So I should have about 20+ gallons of extra water volume if something happens.

oh so you planned for it, just hope you corals dont get stuck out of water for too long because of it once this thing is grown in....>VERY nice tank...so very jealous.

and if you wanted to change the height a 90 could raise it up as well so not a huge problem but if i had that i my tank i would loose the tops of all my corals haha.

that sump reallly is nice too, definately like the two "frag" boxes and especially the control of flow thru them if you wanted chaeto or a nano tank in there haha...are you going to light them with Leds?

makes me want to add one of those to my planned sump.

So is the water in it yet???? you shuold just set up a webcam for us all so we can track your progress and have the ability to sign on and yell at you to hurry up cause we wanna see it.

never thought of using a 90 to bring it out of the water. Might do that before i put water in it. As for the frag boxes, one will be a fuge, not sure what the second one is going to be. Maybe a anemone tank with a couple of clowns lit by a strip of led's

Well the plumbing didn't go as planned. Had a few leaks so I decided to redo it all. I got rid of the manifolds and redirected the emergency drain. This was the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method. After a fresh water test, I found no leaks so I drained it and will start putting water in it this weekend along with rinsing 200 pounds of sand. I have to add that my drain from the sump to my sump pump for the house is awesome. I just open the valve and drained the tank into the sump which put it into the sump pump. So freaking easy. Water changes are going to be a breeze.

5010EA92-AE5E-44BE-BBC2-B46DB4CD51B5-15766-000017AB03748B8E.jpg

8177648A-0CB3-4F91-8A47-F2E73FEE2739-15766-000017AAF5C83DA1.jpg

4220E6CB-08C4-4141-88BF-1454DA79148E-15766-000017AAECE0694D.jpg

6481E559-6E00-4822-BF42-3CDC755320CB-15766-000017AAFC9748C5.jpg

KISS is a good principle. Can't wait to see it start getting filled. I've got some corals for you when you're ready.

Nice. Thanks bro. It's gonna be a few months till i start stocking this thing.

Ok, i have the tank drained but there is 1" of water left in the tank and the sump. Which i am guessing due to the size of both is about 15 gallons of water. Should I shop vac it out, or is it going to make that much of a difference once I put 235 gallons of salt water in there and by the time the tank is done cycling, I would have changed at least that many gallons of water.

Ok, i have the tank drained but there is 1" of water left in the tank and the sump. Which i am guessing due to the size of both is about 15 gallons of water. Should I shop vac it out, or is it going to make that much of a difference once I put 235 gallons of salt water in there and by the time the tank is done cycling, I would have changed at least that many gallons of water.

dont worry about it. Not really going to effect anything.

Looks goods. I suggestion i have from experience, i see you gave a valve on the flow from the tank to the sump. Keep that gate valve always open, dont use it to control the flow. Use your pump to control the flow. What happened to me way back was I had a gate valve that was 3/4 way open, a snail went dont the over flow, got stuck, then something else collected there and it slowed the flow, in turn my pump pumped more water out of the sump then it couldn't drain. overflowed the tank. SO just keep that gate open all the time. Use your pump for flow.

Edited by rocko918

Looks goods. I suggestion i have from experience, i see you gave a valve on the flow from the tank to the sump. Keep that gate valve always open, dont use it to control the flow. Use your pump to control the flow. What happened to me way back was I had a gate valve that was 3/4 way open, a snail went dont the over flow, got stuck, then something else collected there and it slowed the flow, in turn my pump pumped more water out of the sump then it couldn't drain. overflowed the tank. SO just keep that gate open all the time. Use your pump for flow.

Bob,

I did not plumb a valve on the return pump. I have a second emergency drain to handle that if for some reason the main drain clogs, I have another 1.5" unrestricted drain going into the sump. I also had a cover built for my overflow box so that nothing can get inside it, unless it squeezes through the teeth in the overflow.

/quote]

So the 15 gallons of normal water isnt going to cause any issues....sweet. I will start filling it up tonight. its gonna take a long time to fill that sucker up. Hopefully by this weeeknd, I will have it full.

you skipped me... What's the inside of overflow look like? Straight pipes?

hahah. i can't see the pics at my work computer, so i wasn't sure what photo you were looking at. The overflow box has two 1.5" drains and a 1" return. The main drain goes to the the left side of the sump into the bulkhead. The emergency drain exits to the right and into the skimmer section of the sump.

Did that answer your question?

Nice setup so far man. Love your sump. Very curious how does the two frag boxes work. I see the drain from them but how does the water flow works when water in your sump will never reach that high. Just curious to know your plans.

hahah. i can't see the pics at my work computer, so i wasn't sure what photo you were looking at. The overflow box has two 1.5" drains and a 1" return. The main drain goes to the the left side of the sump into the bulkhead. The emergency drain exits to the right and into the skimmer section of the sump.

Did that answer your question?

Are the drains inside the overflow box just straight pipes? Like, is the full siphon say a 6" straight pipe and emergency like a 20" straight pipe?

Just wondering if you have any 90* elbows or anything funny going on in there. Just figuring how simple I can make mine...

Thanks

Are the drains inside the overflow box just straight pipes? Like, is the full siphon say a 6" straight pipe and emergency like a 20" straight pipe?

Just wondering if you have any 90* elbows or anything funny going on in there. Just figuring how simple I can make mine...

Thanks

Yes, its a 16" straight pipe and a 20" straight pipe. I drained the water last night so I will take a pic for you and post it.

No need. I just was wondering how you had it in there, so I can copy off you in the coming days...

Do you find a 4" difference enough to work with without going crazy tuning it?

Edited by BowieReefer84