Smallreef's 50g build thread!

Well, a few weeks ago I picked up a used 50g tank from the Marine Scene! and well I haven't done anything yet but I am in the planning stages....

Here's the tank....

frontof50g.jpg backof50g.jpg

SO so far I have purchase a can of dark blue krylon spray paint for the back (which I have not gotten to because of my hectic work schedule)... and Im also trying to decide what to do with the plumbing...

I want to keep one of the strainers for my overflow (Im planning on covering it with some foam to keep the small fish from being sent to the sump and maybe also putting a box around it) and Im trying to figure out what to do with the other one and how to make it a return... Ive looked at some LOC line pieces but im not sure If I can get a 3 way arm or if only a 2 and if they make them large enough for the bulkhead thats there.....

Anyone have any ideas??? And im also trying to decide on a return pump... I only want to have 1 or 2 powerheads in the tank so it doesnt look to crowded... But in my last tank I had 4 return and didnt have to have any powerheads... hhrrmmm.... I just dont know on this part...

I will be building my stand... I built the last one for my 150g...heres that one to give you an idea..

ill do something similar to this one, though I will need a canopy this time.. ( I never did get around to building it for the 150g)

aquarium1.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

OH and as far as fish... I currently have my 12g set up with 2 barnacle blennies, a possum wrasse and an orange lined cardinal... that I will be transferring to the 50g when I get it up and running..

But I am wanting to add some medium sized more active fish, I will also be keeping some LPS, softies, rics, mushrooms and maxi/mini anemones....

I am wanting to add a few more barnacle blennies to have about 5 (and of course a cluster of barnacles by the front glass to watch them! the 2 I have are a HOOT when its feeding time) and also more orange lined cardinals as everything I have read says they will "school" though of course cardinals are not huge open swimmers but thats fine.... they are pretty..

So my other ideas are fairy wrasses, possibly a dwarf angel, chalk bass and maybe a jawfish and of course some shrimp and later on possibly an urchin ( I had one in my 150g and after about 3 years my triggers finally were big enough to turn it over to kill it :(

any other ideas on stocking too would be helpful, Ive almost always had aggressive non-reef safe fish and this is a whole new direction for me, lol

Edited by smallreef

Have you considered drilling for an overflow box in the center and making both side holes dual returns? This would allow you to increase the flow.

hhrrmmm it could be a possibility... still worried about getting any kind of return for the bulkheads I think they are 2" .. makes me worry...

My other thought is to build a PVC return that goes up and over the edge into the tank maybe with dual ends or 2 seperate ones... still thinking about that...

Im also trying to decide on an in sump pump and protein skimmer? I'm on the group by from BRS and want to order during it :)

So, ive only ever used ASM skimmer,,, but hear all kinds of things about octopus and magnus skimmers??? any opinions or personal stories? also I want a pump that is not loud and was looking at the Eheim ones as some of the reviews say less noisy than the mag drive... again ive only had odyysea and those are HORRIBLY loud.. so i cant imagine if the mags are louder than that?

• 2 weeks later...

Im looking at an Ocean Runner 2500 (625 GPH) pump... anyone have one of these? good/bad/indifferent reactions???

Im going to start building my stand in a week or 2 and then working on my plumbing...hopefully this will be up and going in a month or so :)

still looking at different bulb combinations for the 6 light fixture I got....and maybe adding a line of LED's for some shimmer....

and ordering a powerhead to for the other side of the tank... so many little things to get before its ready... and an RODI too.. there is SO MUCH chlorine in the water here!

I would do the return up and over the side of the tank as you mentioned. Ocean Runner pumps do not fit standard pipe fittings so you have to use hoses and not hard piping. I would go with a Mag 7 or for a little more money but lower power usage get a WaterBlaster 3000.

yeah I was thinking of a way to plumb it.. im having a hard time deciding what I want to do... I may look for a large overflow box to fit the strainers into and that way I could cover the PVC if I did the return over the edge....

as far as pumps I was thinking maybe an Eheim? Ive heard good things.. the reviews on the other one were fairly good too through...

What about a coast to coast sort of concept?

Eheim pumps are great. Quiet and reliable. Worth the extra $ but its not that much more expensive.

Actually if i can find a large enough overflow box thats kind of what i was thinking of doing was the look of a coast to coast but then to have the return plumbing behind and either cut holes or set them almost on top of the teeth?

That would look really cool. I assume you could have one made from glass or acrylic and have the return come through the back tank wall and the wal of the overflow. That would be sharp!

Don't know how long of a box you need but BRS has started selling overflow boxes.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/aquarium-overflow-overflow-box-2400-gph.html that one is 18" long. Next size down is 12".

Don't know if it fits your needs but just a suggestion.

Also, there are members here that work with acrylic and I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

(edited)

Oh Thats FREAKING COOL!!! didnt see it on their website so thanks!!!

I only need the actual teeth part though.... I have 2 strainers already installed and was thinking of keeping both or making one a return and keeping the other..

Edited by smallreef

From what I understand, acrylic will never fully bond with silicone, and should not be used in a water-tight application. Acrylic to glass joined by silicone will work as baffles in a sump, sure- but I wouldn't recommend it anywhere else.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

Your right....thats is why i would never rely on it...but i just want something to cover the strainer and the returrn it makes a good seal if it is completely dry and clean when applied so there wont be to much of an issue down the road...silicone in itself is not perfect but its what we have for an application like this...

OH and I am currently soaking my tank in vinegar so that I MAY be able to scrape off enough of the old coralline that I CAN get the silicone to stick , lol...

Sill looking for just the overflow piece that I can silicone on ... still need plumbing pieces for the return.. though Im still not sure what Im doing with it :(

Going to order my RO/DI on the 1st so I can be ready to start setting up as soon as my stand is built and Ive done the plumbing.. which Im hoping to work on after memorial day?? (though I have to work fri-mon for memorial day weekend)

OH and I am currently soaking my tank in vinegar so that I MAY be able to scrape off enough of the old coralline that I CAN get the silicone to stick , lol...

Sill looking for just the overflow piece that I can silicone on ... still need plumbing pieces for the return.. though Im still not sure what Im doing with it :(

Going to order my RO/DI on the 1st so I can be ready to start setting up as soon as my stand is built and Ive done the plumbing.. which Im hoping to work on after memorial day?? (though I have to work fri-mon for memorial day weekend)

cool. I know how you feel right now... Never enough time!!! So where is your drain bulkhead located? On the bottom pane or up high on the back??

there are 2 up high on the back with strainers.. so not bad just want to hide them... they are both on the back panel about 3 inches in from the sides

Thats why I think im going to plumb something coming up and over the back edge of the tank

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

well.... still havent done much on this build.. though next week ITS ON! I have 3 full days off of work (So I think) and am in the BRS group buy for all those last misc things Ive been needing, like the RO/DI and a return pump, lol

I have decided on just covering the strainers with overflow boxes either made by one of the acrylic guys here or from BRS when I order...

and I JUST found the old pictures from my last stand build.. thought theyd be interesting...the only difference is this tank is ALOT smaller and Im COMPLETELY waterproofing the inside with epoxy then a shower liner bottom!

a9cebb95_vbattach207917.jpg

8d96fe6e_vbattach207914.jpg

5dcad179_vbattach207916.jpg

8b10871f_vbattach209024.jpg

Edited by smallreef

plus as I dont think you can buy Oil based paint anymore I think I am just going to go with a gel stain on the plywood... I think its birch or something similar on the outside...