Smallreef's 50g build thread!

My ATO will be here today!!!

I picked up a cheap 1/2 circle plastic tank for my top off tank.. and with a little cutting (my husbands handy work) He made it fit next to my sump in my stand, lol

Pictures to come :)

I also got 1 more hydor powerhead for more flow in the tank.... I think they all need it...

War corals in the DT are dying :( 2 out of the 3 will not make it... but 1 is doing really well ???

other than that everything is going good... Have to do a water change on Sunday before I leave monday... everything else should be fine

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Everything went fairly well while I was gone.. though none of my frags are doing to well... all of the war corals are bleaching out and same with an orange monitpora I got...

SO what I am thinking (and this is what it almost always comes back to) is mainly softies and Acans.. they seem to do really well.. somce of the other favias and favites are doing okay but I wont try adding any others until I figure out why the others did not do well.. so its a wait and see for a few weeks before I add anything else...

One thing I am going to do is get rid of my male anthias... and I know this means I will probably need to get rid of the 2 girls too... hes just constantly picks on my poor midas blenny and I dont want to see him kill it :(

other than that... everything seems to be doing okay... my new emerald crabs MOWED down my feather caulerpa in the back of the tank.. guess that means I dont have to trim it, lol and some of my hermits are trying to change shells (doesnt really work to well when I dont have larger shells for them to move in to though)

It sounds like you need to go to a crafts store and buy some sea shells! Be sure to rinse them out before you use them.

FWIW, I made the mistake of buying a blue velvet damsel. They say it can only be 2-3", this sucker is 4-5" and a menace. I cant wait for my tank rebuild for him to be GONE! So, best of luck with those anthias!

LOL yeah I know... and I have to try and catch them without tearing up my tank :(

the male I can probably net if I put some food in it.. hes an eater.. the 2 females will be harder...and Id really like to keep them, but the thought of one of them going rogue and turning into a boy, and could be as bad, worries me....

• 2 months later...

SO a few changes and re-arranges in the last few weeks.....

bought Pizzaguys SWC skimmer... LOVE IT!

secondly today i was finally able to remove the anthias, of which the male had been picking on my midas, and they are now headed home with Braden to be much happier in a bigger home.

and finally I also added 3 TINYYYYY anemone shrimp, a chalk basslet, and a green clown goby :)

so lastly I want to add a flasher wrasse to be my bright fish :) and possibly another lamarcks to go with my male....

• 1 month later...

I just picked up the pipe bender today...had to take a nap cuz i am working an overn8ght for inventory at my store...will work on it tomorow before work and wed since its my day off

Got my pipe all bent, lights hung, and everyone is happy.....

Im glad I moved my maxi-minis over tot he pico tank because I think they would have been to high up with the brightness of this light...

currently I have the blue up at 75% and the white at 50%... (I like a bluer looking tank)

Bad cell phone pics but maybe one day my husband will bust out the DSLR to get some good ones....

beforelights.jpg

OLD LIGHT

lightsafter.jpg

NEW LEDS

lightbracket.jpg

Light Bracket

Yeah when i have a day off im going to take it off and krylon it...

Turned out well...that was attempt #6,lol the first one i did was okay...not as wide...this was the one my husband "helped" with (after the other 4 he screwed up)

Trial and error. Comes with the hobby ;)

Yeah when i have a day off im going to take it off and krylon it...

Turned out well...that was attempt #6,lol the first one i did was okay...not as wide...this was the one my husband "helped" with (after the other 4 he screwed up)

• 2 months later...

Ohh I think I got it down now...I could do a class,lol it is kinda hard the first time figuring out how much length the bend takes and to turn it backwards and opposite (kinda like crown moulding!,lol)