Smallreef's 50g build thread!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Yeah Im having Adam from Arfully Acrylic make some blue acrylic overflow covers for the strainers and Im just going to plumb up and over the edge of the tank...

I also have a wet/dry that I am converting to a regular sump and my new eheim pump should be here monday! so I can start working on the plumbing next weekend when I am ACTUALLY OFF!

Edited by smallreef

• 2 weeks later...

did the water test and then drained half, lol

put in rinsed sand and rock just to make sure everything will be cycled when I get my overflow covers to put in...

halffull.jpg

just ordered alot of loc-line pieces for the return for the tank... hopefully they will get here by friday-ish... Id like to finish the plumbing this week,,,, but I do still have to wait for Adam to finish building my overflow covers to fill the tank so that will be at the end of this week at the earliest anyways and then it will be time to FILL clap.gif

Okay so as I am waiting for my Locline pieces to come for me to do the return plumbing on my tank I was hoping to get some ideas/thoughts on my overflow plumbing....

plumbingidea.jpg

The overflow on the right is about 1/2 an inch lower than the other so I was thinking to put the T just beside the elbow and then the down pipe that will then have a 'barbed' bottomed coupler piece with the flex hose attached to it. Does that sound like it will work? ( I mean as far as the flow and gargaling?)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I got in my overflows from Adam last night and got them in first thing this morning so I could finish all the rest of my plumbing today!

Its done! Now all I have to do is wait for the silicone to cure and put water in tomorrow and test it all out,,, before I have to go to work :(

here are some pics :)

newoverflows.jpg

plumbing.jpg

intankplumbing.jpg

sumpplumbing.jpg

Haven't really had any more time to work on this lately,, though it does now have water in it, I still need to fix the overflow plumbing and skimmer... this may be a while because of the impending job loss I took on a part time job and it started IMMEDIATELY... so for the next 2 weeks im working 60ish hours between the 2 clap.gif

thatll be nice when I get my paychecks... which is why I am ordering my RO/DI this weekend in the GB for AWI... biggrin.gif

so after July 28th it should be ALOT easier for me to finish.. and they MAYBE I will be able to get a new fish or 2, lol

then school starts August 20th, lol

Everything seems good.. I am going to hold off on the transfer of the clownfish until I pick up the Rose anemone and it gets settled in the 12g tank so I dont try and have to chase the fish, and the anemone can host them easier.. then after a few weeks Ill move them...

But today I will be acclimating the bangaii and the corals for the 50g :) and after the anemone and clowns are moved to the 50 Ill be using my 12g as a QT...

Well I WAS going to wait on transferring my clowns so that when I picked up the new anemone I could put it in the smaller tank and let the clowns get used to it, so the anemone would host them more quickly....

BUT my tank water in the 12 was BAD... i had done a water change the day before and 0, 0, 0,,,,, and when I tested the water before the start of the transfer I had like 5ppm nitrates and what looked like the start of some phospates (dont really like the test kit I have though...)

SO they all got put in the new tank.... and when I say new you have to look back and see that since I have bought this rock it has been treated like it was in a tank (yes for 2 months, weekly w/c's, timed lights, lol) right after Alex pulled it out of his tank... just to make sure it would be ready for the switch so not like a brand new tank atleast, same with the sand,,, got it from Braden last month and kept it going with new water and such... then I transfered the rock and sand from my 12g before putting the fish, shrimp and corals in... and then today the addition of the anemone from another fellow Woodbridge Wamas'rclap.gif

Tanks happy, waters good.....

tank3.jpg

fit it together very snugly... though the top right needs some epoxy so I may take it out and shove some on the bottom pieces other than that when I was setting it I played around with it for a few hours like a puzzle...

OH and the new Maxi-Minis... umm they are either very HAPPY or CRAZED about the new tank as they are now SPLITTING... i thought at first when I came home they were disintegrating but I touched them and they are actually splitting.. pretty cool.... 4 for the price of 2 !!!clap.gif