Ben's 60 gallon cube build.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not totally alone. I have some very pretty ones that are incredibly slow to multiply. That or I can't see them through all the aiptasia.

Very beautiful rocks! I need to get with Wayne to get me some pretty soon!

Looks like majano. Make sure to kill them quick.

I think Majanos are beautiful but I'm on an island with that one.

I have no problem with them either- except that they multiply like mad. And supposedly pack a good sting.

Not totally alone. I have some very pretty ones that are incredibly slow to multiply. That or I can't see them through all the aiptasia.

Very beautiful rocks! I need to get with Wayne to get me some pretty soon!

Yes, I was very pleased with the rock- It's worth the $$ just to see all of the cool stuff on it! So, for these Majanos/Aiptasia: An injection of lemon juice will work, no?

Almost forgot!! I put a strong-willed, tank raised clown in my tank today. I hope he makes it. If so, I'll introduce a bigger one later to be his dominatrix. Lol.

c6e4c219-e0eb-e667.jpg

More than likely, it's what they call a light bulb anemone. Out of all the years playing with this rock, I havent known it to spread like other nuisance nems. Theyre more like rock anemones. Trust, Im routing for your clown! I know He's in good hands and he'll make though! Im happy you're enjoying your purchase.

(edited)

Here it is complete. Well, kinda... I've got more Velcro work to do tomorrow.... Once my laminated skins for my stand come in, all the wires will be hidden. 47a31f1a-86cc-0f57.jpg FTS: 47a31f1a-871c-3ef5.jpg

Edited by bcoop78

Well, I installed a reverse Durso onto the end of my drain line today. The only problem I have now is that with all of the noise from the sump gone, I can now hear how noisy my overflow Durso is being. More adjustments are needed I guess....

c6e4c8a1-402f-a647.jpg

OK. So here are the nitty-gritty details of my build.

Custom Built 1/2" Acrylic 60 gallon cube euro-braced with flame-polished edges. Black Acrylic overflow with 1" Bulkhead. (2) 3/4" return bulkheads at back corners. The tank was built by Adam Bowers, whom I believe will be a member here soon if he is not already.

Stand was custom made by Rockville Steel, using 1 1/2" square steel tubing. I plan to fabricate painted wood panels with magnetic attachments to finish it off soon.

The tank does not sit centered on the stand. I plan to create a coral-skeleton structure to the left of it- as an attempt at something artistic.....

The sump is a 40B, and is set up as a "high flow" sump, with a skimmer section, refugium section, and return section with bubble trap.

Equipment List:

EcoTech Radion Light Fixture

EcoTech Vortech MP10esW

Vertex IN-100 Protein Skimmer

Innovative Marine LED Refugium Light

Mag 9.5 Return Pump

Apex Jr. Controller with:

WXM

PM1

Remote Display

Avast ATO

Air Water & Ice Typhoon 3 RO/DI

I plan for a mixed reef, keeping mainly LPS and some SPS. I may keep a lionfish, but will upgrade the skimmer first.

Thanks for looking!

Yep yep Ben, as you suggested to me a few times I finally came on over and joined the board biggrin.gif. Good to see the pics of the full setup coming along. When your tank left my shop, just as every other, I feel a great sense of accomplishment, followed by a sense of emptiness....until I get to see pictures like this when my creations are finally doing as intended clap.gif...creating a great display for life. The biggest jealousy I have there is that Radion fixture....NNNIIICCCEEEEEEEE.

I couldn't resist. I am pretty much cycled, so I bought some zoas:

47a31f1a-e89e-5c99.jpg

47a31f1a-e8aa-0eae.jpg

My iPhone camera does not do them justice.... Oh boy- Canon SLR with macro lens is on my birthday wish list!!!

<br />Nice pick!!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

thanks! Totally photoshopped though... But it does closely resemble how pretty these guys are in-person!!

It was very nice to meet some of you guys today! Here's the tank after another 25lbs of rock (total 85lbs now), a clean up crew, and a rainbow ricordea frag were added..

47a31f1a-b598-60c4.jpg

The good news: I split off of my return and added an Avast MR-5 running a cup of carbon..

The bad: I added stuff too soon... The addition of move rock gave me a slight ammonia spike (.25mg/l), and half of my cleanup crew died. Somehow the Zoas and Ricordeas that I added too early are doing fine....

Well after learning about aquascaping from you guys, I finally got a moment to re-do my tank. I ended up having to break several large pieces in order to do this, and I am pretty pleased with the results. Please critique!

47a31f1a-15fe-b3bb.jpg

Sorry for the cloudiness, the water is still settling out....

That is looking MUCH better Ben! I really dig the new aquascape and can't wait to see your coral filling that in!! This is really my favorite part of fabrication...seeing the creations turn into so so much more!! Loving it! Loving it! Don't care what anyone says....cubes rock! =)

New additions:

47a31f1a-59a8-d80b.jpg

Blue/Green branching frogspawn

47a31f1a-59c6-e957.jpg

Red/Green Favia

47a31f1a-59dd-f0eb.jpg

And now my lone clown has a buddy!!

Ben,

Looks good, at least much better than the first rock composition, which looked more like rocks piled up. You have such a great space to work with. I think you should create more crevasses, bridges and higher the rock work a little bit more. Your cube is tall and higher surfaces will come in handy for higher light intensity corals in the future.

Also, try to move the rocks away from the glass. I see some of them are resting on the sides of your tank. This will minimize the water flow and circulation allowing deitrus build up. Also, you will want to be able to wipe the glass of algae in the future.

I used to have rocks piled up like that and later discovered that by creating caves, arches and such not only it made my rocks look more like a real reef, but also it helped immensely with water flow and circulation.

Just my .2

Ben,

Looks good, at least much better than the first rock composition, which looked more like rocks piled up. You have such a great space to work with. I think you should create more crevasses, bridges and higher the rock work a little bit more. Your cube is tall and higher surfaces will come in handy for higher light intensity corals in the future.

Also, try to move the rocks away from the glass. I see some of them are resting on the sides of your tank. This will minimize the water flow and circulation allowing deitrus build up. Also, you will want to be able to wipe the glass of algae in the future.

I used to have rocks piled up like that and later discovered that by creating caves, arches and such not only it made my rocks look more like a real reef, but also it helped immensely with water flow and circulation.

Just my .2

I think you heard/read right! Your tank needs to mature, at least get to a stable point to safely add an anemone.

What I meant before is when the tank matures add an anemone before you add the corals. In any event, you will need to wait for stable parameters to add hard corals anyway. I know it sux to hear this but patience is the key.

Also, if you wait for your tank to go thru normal maturation cycles (such as cyano, hair algae, etc) before adding frags or colonies, you will save yourself the headache of trying to save them from invading algae later. (i.e my tank in the beginning since I was so impatient. I must have lost around $1000 in frags thanks to my impatience. When/if I set up a new tank in the future, I am gonna put a lock on the canopy so that I won't be able to give in to the temptation and buy stuff well before at least a couple of months. :) )