Ben's 60 gallon cube build.

I think you heard/read right! Your tank needs to mature, at least get to a stable point to safely add an anemone.

What I meant before is when the tank matures add an anemone before you add the corals. In any event, you will need to wait for stable parameters to add hard corals anyway. I know it sux to hear this but patience is the key.

Also, if you wait for your tank to go thru normal maturation cycles (such as cyano, hair algae, etc) before adding frags or colonies, you will save yourself the headache of trying to save them from invading algae later. (i.e my tank in the beginning since I was so impatient. I must have lost around $1000 in frags thanks to my impatience. When/if I set up a new tank in the future, I am gonna put a lock on the canopy so that I won't be able to give in to the temptation and buy stuff well before at least a couple of months. :) )

Well... I have been measuring my levels every couple of days, and everything is good.. The corals I have are looking good too. I decided to go ahead and add to the tank. I have full confidence that with frequent water changes I can keep things in check. Here are the new additions:

6c1ce736-edce-e9ce.jpg

Purple Monti Cap

6c1ce736-ede9-9ab0.jpg

Prism Favia

6c1ce736-ee02-e5b1.jpg

RBTA

6c1ce736-ee1e-3180.jpg

Tyree Birdsnest

6c1ce736-ee37-5e4e.jpg

Orange Lobo Brain

I drip acclimated everything over a little over an hour's time, and everything seems good for now. I will update again soon.. I really need to get a nice camera, this iPhone just ain't cutting it.

Wish me luck!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben - you are moving very fast. This may very well, unfortunately, lead to bad things. (Take it from me). Slow down a bit!

^ great advice from the king of moving blazing fast. I agree with Ryan. No matter how tempting it is, MHO is to move slow when it comes to stocking your new reef.

I dont think the addition of corals and BTA are really that fast.. Adding a bunch of fish will throw off your balance much faster..

His tank is 1 month old, and he has added lps, sps, an anemone and fish - the tank hasn't fully cycled yet - and it's not too fast? you said the opposite in my thread. you are such a hypocrite!

Lol guys... I'm done adding for a while now... Just couldn't stand looking at the near-empty tank. I think there is one major difference between my tank and yours Ryan, in that you used mostly dry rock upon startup, and I used mostly live from the ocean. I really think that my tank cycled rather quickly, and my levels are great. I do have diatoms, but very little considering the tanks age, and they are going away. Please don't think that I don't take all of your opinions seriously- I do. But this is not my first start-up, and this early stocking is a risk I was willing to take. Now- I just gotta keep all this stuff alive!! I will.

wow Ryan, dont get your panties in a bunch..

I agree with bcoop, your tanks were set up entirely different. The coral is irrelevant, i added coral to my tank within a week bc i had my old sand and 3 month cured rock. LPS and zoas are much more forgiving. I never really had much of a cycle. I planned for this and was just fine. Adding a fish or 2 is fine, you have to get your biological system going. You however added a bunch of fish to a brand new everything system. Apples and oranges here....

i will bring apples and oranges to frag fest and throw them at you! how is that for apples and oranges! :blast: :blast: :blast: :blast:

if one happens to be a bleeding apple scoly, would you toss it my way please!!

:) lol

i will bring apples and oranges to frag fest and throw them at you! how is that for apples and oranges! :blast: :blast: :blast: :blast:

I will also bring some cheese for all that wine..

Here's my parameters for the day:

S.G. 1.024

Alk 7.87 dKh

Nitrate 2ppm

Calcium 569

Phosphate .07ppm

Calcium came down some with water changes, as it was >600 previously... Getting a Magnesium test kit shortly.

Finally got my stand skinned today... 3/4" MDF panels covered in black plastic laminate. I countersunk and glued 4 magnets in per panel. Here it is:

c6e4c896-31c7-5693.jpg

Looks great Ben - Have you thought about what you'll do to stop jumpers from getting out?

I am in the works with Adam from Artfully Acrylic to fab up an acrylic-framed mesh top!!

Nice! That should work great and look great too! Using the clear mesh - so the top is more or less invisible?

That's my intention... The only thing is finding a way to get the mesh inside the acrylic frame and still be taut...

I think I got all of that figured out now Ben. I have found some clear mesh that works well being welded to the acrylic frame so in essence we will be able to use a thin 1/4" material bottom frame/top frame with a mesh sandwich =)....thereby keeping it as low profile as possible as you desired clap.gif. There are some other particulars to work out regarding whether you would like a hinged feed door included and some other spec related/cosmetic related options, but I'll email you on those.

Here we are a week later- new additions healthy, happy, and eating...6c1ce736-8f64-1809.jpg

6c1ce736-8f75-51c4.jpg

6c1ce736-8f82-41f3.jpg

6c1ce736-8f91-cba2.jpg

6c1ce736-8fa0-53f4.jpg

My anemone is doing great.. He moved just a small bit from where I put him, to hide it's foot.. I've fed it small pieces of fish and some cyclopeeze. I also put a pic of an anemone hosting some clowns to give my guys a hint... We'll see how that goes...

Looks good ..! How about a new FTS..? I love that lid idea.. I have a rimless tank as well and well jumping definitely happens.. Depending on how yours turns out, I might get one made as well.. Keep up the good work.

Everything is going well... Diatoms are gone and now green/red turf-like algae grows on the sand. Anemone, corals, inverts and fish are all happy. Here is A FTS from today- I have yet to find permanent homes for the corals, so everyone is on the bottom except the RBTA.

6c1ce736-b9f4-2cf6.jpg

Picked up a baby (3 inch) Niger Trigger and a pink/green hammer today! Yes I know, I've got about a year tips on the Niger, but by then I'll need an excuse to upgrade tank size! Pics to follow ASAP!

but they are soo cute now! Pics!

true! But the little booger is hiding too much! He peeks out to see who I am, but I think he's scared of my clowns!!