Strange coral growth

zygote2k

Looks like bubble algae that isn't getting enough direct light. I had some that looked just like that and grew in the same manner within colonies. If it's hard I'de bet that's what it is.

def not algae- looks to be made of the same tissue as the coral.

I had a favites that had something similar happen- big bubble of tissue formed then internal skelton formed inside and then became a bulge of coral growth on the parent.

I just thought that hammer corals make heads to reproduce.

That is kind of a common thing with LPS like frogspawn, hammers, and torches. It isn't anything to worry about, some think they just take in to much water when they inflate themselves, some say to much light causes extra O2, and somewhere I read the bubble has something to do with reproduction cycles.

That is kind of a common thing with LPS like frogspawn, hammers, and torches. It isn't anything to worry about, some think they just take in to much water when they inflate themselves, some say to much light causes extra O2, and somewhere I read the bubble has something to do with reproduction cycles.

I've seen this too, in my Euphyllia. It is of the same tissue as the parent colony. Always seemed benign. Not sure if the structure has any particular purpose, though.

Not removed entirely but if you take a needle or razor and put a hole in it, then it will deflate. I have done it a few times to remvoe air bubbles under the tissue.

I've seen them on my Euphyllia as well. Never did anything with it and it'd eventually just go away.

My torch coral has one as well. I didn't want to risk "popping it" in case that would harm the coral... But if you try it, let us know what happens...

Hey, leave it alone. It's a "special" little frogspawn bubble. It wont bother a thing. I've had them in FS before. they ususally burst on their own.

I am embarrassed to admit now that I only posed the question out of curiosity. I don't have frogspawn (yet); nonetheless, I hope others find this insight useful. I did!

No need to be embarassed. It was a good question. Everyone learns something from alll these posts.

I am embarrassed to admit now that I only posed the question out of curiosity. I don't have frogspawn (yet); nonetheless, I hope others find this insight useful. I did!