Which Shrimp/Goby pair?

Ryan S

Which is the best shrimp/goby pair?

At BZA they have a Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp Pair for $39.95

At Vivid they have a Yashia Shrimp Goby Paired with Red Banded Pistol Shrimp for $84.99

At Vivid they have a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby Paired with Red Banded Pistol Shrimp for $49.99

They are all the same shrimp; so I guess the question is, which goby has the most personality or looks the best? Do any of you have a pair that is your favorite?

2 questions:

1. Can you buy a yellow watchman goby and a candy stripe pistol shrimp separately, and somehow get them to pair up? Maybe by placing them in the same acclimation container for a few hours (or days?) then releasing them together in the tank?

2. Can you have a yellow watchman goby and 2 orangespot diamond gobies in the same tank? According to this site, the yellow watchman goby "Will be aggressive to other shrimp gobies." According to this site, the Orangespotted Diamond Goby "likes to work together in pairs. One alone usually gets lonely and groups will often fight, unless introduced to a large aquarium. They are rarely aggressive towards other fish, except other sleeper gobies, such as the Gold Head Sleeper Goby." I figure the yellow watchman, if paired with the shrimp, will stay in its burrow most of the time; while the pair of diamonds will roam the entire sandbed sifting for food together...?

Edited by Ryan S

2 questions:

1. Can you buy a yellow watchman goby and a candy stripe pistol shrimp separately, and somehow get them to pair up? Maybe by placing them in the same acclimation container for a few hours (or days?) then releasing them together in the tank?

2. Can you have a yellow watchman goby and 2 orangespot diamond gobies in the same tank? According to this site, the yellow watchman goby "Will be aggressive to other shrimp gobies." According to this site, the Orangespotted Diamond Goby "likes to work together in pairs. One alone usually gets lonely and groups will often fight, unless introduced to a large aquarium. They are rarely aggressive towards other fish, except other sleeper gobies, such as the Gold Head Sleeper Goby." I figure the yellow watchman, if paired with the shrimp, will stay in its burrow most of the time; while the pair of diamonds will roam the entire sandbed sifting for food together...?

I wouldn't put two different shrimp gobies in the same tank. I think if you had a longer tank, and they set up on opposite sides you'd be okay but with a 3 x 3 footprint, it would be tough.

i have had a watchman and orange spot watchman in the came tank. they did not like each other but with the size of tank they rarely saw each other. Also i would not put a Diamond gobie in my tank. they make a mess with the sand bed.

I have also tried to pair up a pistol shrimp with a watchman and the yellow watchman eat him. oh well.

I have also tried to pair up a pistol shrimp with a watchman and the yellow watchman eat him. oh well.

LOL! For real???

I liked diamond gobies because they are fun to watch as they sift the sand constantly...

But I also definitely want a shrimp/goby pair, which are also fun to watch.

But my understanding is the shrimp/goby pair sits in their burrow most of the time, whereas a diamond goby is very active and moves all over. That's why I wanted both. But I guess if I can't mix them, I'd go with the shrimp/goby pair and skip the diamond goby.

And if I can't pair them myself, I'll just have to buy them already paired then!

I have had a ywg w/ a tiger pistol for the last 2.5 years. The first ywg died (not sure what happened to him) but put in another and they found each other in about 5 minutes. Just use a small piece of tubing and drop the shrimp or fish right onto the others burrow.

I had a Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp they were great..

one problem, stir the fine sand all over, so my tank got always milky.i had to take them out~..

I had a candy striped pistol shrimp with my ywg, but they are really small, don't really do much work. The tiger pistol shrimp a bigger, much more active, and seem to bond better with my ywg. Just my observation.

I had a candy striped pistol shrimp with my ywg, but they are really small, don't really do much work. The tiger pistol shrimp a bigger, much more active, and seem to bond better with my ywg. Just my observation.

I appreciate the info. I'll keep an eye out for a YWG & tiger pistol shrimp in that case.

Yea, I've never had a candy stripe survive for long, but have had both of my HUGE tiger pistol shrimp for several years now. They get big and love to rearrange the tank, but can be pretty bold and are perfect if you like to watch typical pistol behavior. One is paired with a humungous randall's (which is a beautiful fish) and the other with the elusive yasha hase (which finally decided to accept him). Neither pair was paired up before coming to me but they found each other immediately. My blue spotted watchman and unknown variety of huge reddish pistol in the 90g, however, have never shown any interest at all in each other.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Ryan,

Did you ending choosing?

Might be looking at picking up a DWG or YWG and wanted to know how yours turned out.

Yellow Watchman Goby & Tiger Pistol Shrimp is what I'll be getting, but I don't have them yet.

Edited by Ryan S