Sharkey18's 250 build

Sharkey18

Now that my water quality has improved, my zoas are not as happy as they once were. WIll they adjust to the cleaner water or do I need to consider a separate zoanthid tank if I really want to keep them happy?

They can deal with cleaner water...but not extremely clean water...

So it really depends on how far your going with it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i found that zoas did alot better when i had a frag tank plumbed into my 90. all one system but the 90g had 2 overflows, one striaght to sump other to the frag so the frag got less turnover and definately stayed a little dirtier over all

but when i was really keeping up with maint both tanks were very clean and the zoa's still did well, just keep em fed.

(edited)

Tank update. 

Still changing 100g every two weeks. 

After yesterdays change my nitrates were at 2 and phosphates were at .10. Those are pretty good numbers for me and the lowest I have had in months. Also, I am not dosing ANYTHING. No GFO. No LaCl. 

My stacked 20g tanks have basically been turned into a refugium tower. The top tank was always growing caulerpa but I added a lot more light, reduced the light schedule to 14 on, 10 off and also added chaeto.  I am now harvesting a baseball sized mass of caulerpa every two weeks and the chaeto in that tank has taken off. 

The third tank is growing Ulva which I added just a few weeks ago. It is finally doing well and I made my first harvest a few days ago and fed it to my tangs. I used to do this all the time, but I killed off most of my macro when I started dosing vodka. 

The bottom tank has a small ball of anemic chaeto , but I hoping it will take off soon. 

The new SWC skimmer is doing well. I am still trying to find the sweet spot. First it was flowing like a volcano. Then it was skimming really really dry. I just lowered it a bit and now it is skimming wetter but I still feel like I should be getting more gunk out. 

The sps in my tank has improved dramatically. Almost dead pieces have colored up and encrusted on new rock. I am cautiously optimistic. Optimistic enough that I bought two nice pieces at the meeting. If they do well I will be breaking into your houses and stealing small frags from your frag tanks. 

On the down side, my zoas are pissed off. Not sure if I have a pest or if they are reacting to the lower nutrients.  The solution of course is to set up a tank of their own….. new build coming soon  :clap:

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me get back to a happy tank. 

Edited by Sharkey18

This is my Ulva garden. I stick it in the egg crate in the beginning because it floats around and clogs the drains. Ulva causes me more floods than anything else. But after a while it develops holdfasts to the egg crate. Any loose pieces are harvested and fed to the tangs. 

IMG_3539_zps76956e76.jpg

IMG_3542_zps87a00565.jpg

Wowza, a complete turn around! Hows the red light district working out?

The red light over the 20 proved insufficient to inspire even asexual reproduction of algae. It has been moved to the top tank where it adds a corner of ambiance to the VERY brightly lit caulerpa and chaeto tank. Somewhere for the pods to sneak off too....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New skimmer is finally dialed in really nicely…. it took a few weeks of playing around with water levels.

This is about 3 days worth of skimmate.

IMG_3554_zpsc703e3c2.jpg

The red light over the 20 proved insufficient to inspire even asexual reproduction of algae. It has been moved to the top tank where it adds a corner of ambiance to the VERY brightly lit caulerpa and chaeto tank. Somewhere for the pods to sneak off too....

Wow, that's really disappointing. It worked wonders on my cheato.

New skimmer is finally dialed in really nicely…. it took a few weeks of playing around with water levels.

That is nice looking stuff you got there. Hoping I can catch up with you on this front!

dang that's excellent looking skimmate, laura. really glad you got it dialed in and that it's apparently working well for you. it'll be interesting to see now that you have it dialed in if it helps lower your phosphates and/or nitrates. keep us posted, looks excellent!

Phosphates are already down from .14 to .10 and that was before I got it dialed in. Hoping it will continue to improve. 

Also hoping that my girlfriend doesn't notice that one of the large ceramic bowls is missing. It was the perfect 3.5 inches tall that I was looking for. You know you've all wandered around your house looking for reef safe material that fits your needs….. 

What's the chance that she will look UNDER the skimmer for it? And if she finds it here…. I can be like, OMG, how did that bowl get under THERE?  :eek:

What's the chance that she will look UNDER the skimmer for it?

Out of all the pieces of equipment I would suspect a non reefer to look at/under, the skimmer is last on the list :)

Also hoping that my girlfriend doesn't notice that one of the large ceramic bowls is missing. It was the perfect 3.5 inches tall that I was looking for. You know you've all wandered around your house looking for reef safe material that fits your needs….. 

Now that is funny.....lol

Phosphates are already down from .14 to .10 and that was before I got it dialed in. Hoping it will continue to improve. 

What's the chance that she will look UNDER the skimmer for it? And if she finds it here…. I can be like, OMG, how did that bowl get under THERE?  :eek:

Glad I'm it the only be who does this...I have so many misc things in my sump and the inside of my stand that I hope my husband doesn't look for,lol

Posted Image

Nice! Marco swapped out the original psk-2500's with 1000's, didn't he? That skimmer worked well for me for years but I was never completely satisfied with the 2500`s that it came with as original equipment.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Yes. Marco was awesome. He pimped it out for me. Has two new psk-1000's plus new Avast venturi's. 

I have also heard about problems with overflowing with new filter socks and foam collapse with feedings. 

I haven't had much problem. Foam collapses when I feed certain foods ( riggers, rods) but not for very long at all, and comes back strong without any tweaking. It does tend to over flow when I replace the filter socks. It's a pain since I need to replace the socks 2x a week, and then sometimes I forget to put the cup back on for hours, but it hasn't been a major problem. 

Did you experience the same Origami? 

Yes. I just pulled the cup overnight with new socks. Foam collapse with feeding is normal if the foods have much in the way of oils in it.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

So the only thing i can get a good picture of right now are my dendros. I have 2 colonies.

One started out as 7 polyps and has grown to over 23. Many of them are still small but they are there. 

The second started out as 4 polyps and is still 4 polyps. Go figure. 

Large colony retracted: 

IMG_3532_zps41c174f7.jpg

Large colony extended: 

IMG_3530_zpsa0c84cdb.jpg

I stopped spot feeding my dendro. That is apparently the key to splitting, or so I've heard. Underwater things are mysterious. Either way, they look great!

you should add, There is no way it would fit down the overflow...it just doesnt make sense...the filtersock definately woulda caught that....hey at least it didnt clog the plumbing and cause a flood....

glad things are turning around.

LOL... luckily she hasn't missed it so far.... 

haha, We are definately low on tupperware, half our silverware is in my desk at work, and the cutco scissors have made their way to the tank are as well...  Lucky you only took a single bowl.

That skimmer looks like a beast!