Sharkey18's 250 build

Sharkey18

Last year I remodeled my house. This required me to move out for four months so I moved my 120g that had been running for almost 2 years.

In the process I managed to kill every living thing that was in the tank. darn you deep sand bed and my own stupidity.

In honor of the 120 here is a memorial photo.

IMG_0403.jpg

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A week of cleaning the most disgusting smelling crap out of my friends house was followed by several months of mourning where I wanted nothing to do with reef aquariums.

But eventually the house was almost done and the plan included a fish room and in wall tank, so time to start thinking about reefs.

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

I was planning on buying a 180g and that is what the stand was built for, BUT....... it tuned out that Watson-Barrett was selling his 250 deep dimension tank and I could resist.

So, we moved the tank from Adam's in MD

IMG_1203.jpg

to my house in Arlington

IMG_1204.jpg

Because the stand was built for 180, it had to be enlarged to hold the 250.

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

Finally the tank was put into place!

IMG_1310.jpg

Maybe someday it will even hold water!

Nice tank. Love the dimensions.

Bringing back some memories Rik?

I stopped by there yesterday and this thing is going to be awesome when done. Fish room as plenty of room for lots of nice equipment. Keep the pics coming Laura and let us know if you need any help!!

• 3 months later...

So excited to finally get back to this tank.

Sam is helping me with the build and is going to get the plumbing in on Monday.

I actually started making some RO/DI water today, so it is starting to feel real.

Total system volume will be about 450 gallons. 250g DT, 100g sump, 20g refugium and 60-80g of Bangaii breeding tanks.

There will also be a separate 55 gallon QT system.

So now I need to buy salt. Any suggestions on bulk pricing? I am thinking I'll just go with IO like my last tank unless there is a really good reason to switch.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I like instant ocean. Cheap, consistent and easily available. I think Fins and Feathers has the lowest prices I've seen. Premium Aquatics offers free shipping and is also a sponsor.

Plumbing is done! Sam has been helping me out and he was able to get the plumbing done and Monday and came back for a leak test on Tuesday. There were only 2 tiny leaks that he fixed in a few minutes.

Ran the tank overnight (tap water) and no flood this morning!

Also because all the plumbing is in the fish room behind the tank you can't hear a thing.

Next step: empty tank, rock work, sand and salt water. Stir and wait 2 months.... maybe...

I am still on the fence about lighting but am now leaning toward Ecoray LEDS.

Completed plumbing

IMG_1519.jpg

Closed off valves will eventually go to a bank of 20's and a refugium

IMG_1520.jpg

Filling up. It's tap water but at least I finally have water in the tank!

IMG_1525.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's not going to be that easy, but there is plenty of room on the right and left sides of the tank.

Getting to the middle is going to be a challenge. However I am 4'11" tall so getting to the center of this tank is a challenge for me whether the sump is there or not.

I am hoping that difficult access might encourage me to leave things alone! Although you are right, access is going to be an issue.

May I suggest a mask and a snorkel? :laugh:

Actually, that's not a joke. One of the threads on RC has a guy that gets on top of his tank and does exactly that to be able to reach everywhere.

Time for an update:

Leak test was successful so I emptied the fresh water and am now filling tank with RODI.

4 boxes of Salt and 160 # sand are on their way.

I still haven't made a decision on lighting.

Ordered 100# of rock from Rosco's rocks.

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

Tested some configurations:

IMG_1533.jpg

First placement of rock in tank. I am trying to take advantage of the depth by creating a channel between two sections.

Also trying to have it off center for visual interest.

IMG_1546.jpg

Finally: my rock monkeys

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

Suggestions are appreciated.

David, Your idea of a platform over the sump is awesome!

Mask and snorkel just sounds fun! I might actually give it a try.

Laura

What kind of sand will you be using? And are u going to be leaving the rock in while u put the sand in? Just wondering because all the "sand dust" would settle in the rock.

I am actually on the fence about sand. I might go bare bottom. If I do add sand I will get the carib sea 1.25 - 1.95 sized sand. heavy enough not to fly too much, and I can do it slowly and direct it on the glass.

My 120 holding tank is BB but has a terrible detritus problem caused by improper flow, but I still might try it in this tank, just make sure I set up enough flow to keep any detritus suspended I guess....