Vortech MP40 wet side

OUsnakebyte

Last night the wet side of one of my MP40s just started spinning round and round. I took it apart, reassembled it and put it back on. Within a few seconds, it rattled free again (the magnets were lined up properly) and the whole wet side (guard, everything) starting spinning around and around.

Do I need to buy a new wet side?

Cheers

Mike

The cage has a very weak lock that attaches to the main body of the wetside. Make sure to align the tabs correctly and clean out any debris that may be inside them. I've experienced this, although the cage just falls off instead of spinning around.

Yeah, I made sure the three tabs were inserted into the holes where they line up.

I *think* the impeller was spinning. I'll look again when I get home today.

Thanks

Mike

I had the same problem, call Ecotech, they will send you another one.

if they send you a new one i need the base to your wetside haha..

havent had this problem yet but will be tagging along, i would guess that the impeller is getting stuck.

This problem is most likely caused by the wet side ceramic bearing getting a build-up of crud that needs to be cleaned. I have a few extra bearings that I soak in muriatic acid, so I always have a few clean ones on hand.

Well, I didn't solve this mystery last night. I had a spare Korallia that I set up for a temporary fix.

I'm not gonna lie, either. The last Lord of the Rings movie was on tv last night, and I had a pizza, bottle of wine, a chocolate bar and, more importantly, no one to stop me. (nerd alert, I know...)

If I get motivated after work today, I'll investigate it tonight.

Mike

How about this for crazy?! I came home to find my MP 40 had "walked" down my tank about 8" from top left of the tank to bottom right. Not only did it walk, but the dry and wet side were still connected. I took it out put it back in place and fired it back up. And low and behold, the wet side started spinning slowly!

I verified the impeller was moving freely...so freely it came off in two parts. Looks like something bound up and the shaft just sheered off. Again luckily I have a spare wetside. Ordering a fixit kit from Ecotech.

Weird coincidence

Typical, I sheared 3 wetsides last spring, each time I had to replace the magnet and shaft, couple of times the propeller the back cover of the wetside. If you just broke the shaft you got lucky.

Okay, my other MP40 "walked" down the side of my tank too, mostly b/c I was lazy in cleaning it and valonia had started to separate the magnets. Anyway, it needed cleaning, so I took the opportunity to snap a couple of photos - one that is "normal" and still working and the other that is spinning.

Here is the normal one, with the impeller/shaft secured in the housing:

MP40-2.jpg

Here is the one that was spinning freely. It also looks to me as if the impeller has sheared off from the housing/casing. Is that an accurate assessment? If so, what spare part(s) do I need to order?

MP40-1.jpg

Mike, are you regretting removing your closed loop at this point? Just curious as you had posted before you were tired of the closed loop issues that had come up after years of good service.

I mean... I guess it's six on one hand, half dozen on the other. Both systems have given me good service. I enjoyed not having to clean the powerhead parts of the closed loop, but there is SO much more room under the stand now that all the plumbing is gone. Once the OM started to leak at the seams, I just didn't have the energy to fix it and wanted something quick. The MP40s are nice in their customization bells and whistles, but they are noisier and there is the huge dry side sticking out on both sides of the tank waiting for someone to bump them off....

So, I like and dislike both systems, it seems. How is that for a non-committal answer for you....... :cool:

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

tagging along- having the exact same problem. Eco-tech said I needed to order a rebuild kit (~$20). Got it in but haven't had time to deal with it. Gonna wait to see what Mike figures out... :biggrin:

In both pictures, your fingers/thumb are wrapped around the "base plate" (my terminology - I don't remember what EcoTech calls it.) In the two MP40's that I repaired, one base plate was cracked/scraped/worn down so that the white nylon spacer no longer held itself in place. (One was broken, the 2nd was on its way to be broken.) I ordered two new base plates and nylon washers (it may have been part of the 'repair kit') and both MP40s are working fine.

I now have an MP10 that won't 'stick' to the magnet while running so I may have to tear it apart, clean it, and see what its problem is!

The second picture, I'm actually holding the magnet; it was not staying snug in the "base plate/housing" like in the first pic (the one that is still working).

Yeah, I'm thinking a spare wet side is a nice backup.

Cheers

Mike