Are Anemones as annoying as i think?

skipperawe

IM trying to get an ideas of what i want my new 40B to feature, and im strongly considering an anemone, but i know they sting and move.

Are anemones as much of a problem causer as i think they are?

personal opinions very welcome

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really depends on how attached to the nem your are. If you really don't care if it move's and decides to sit on top of that $100 coral you just bought, then go for it. Trust me, eventually they will move.

IM trying to get an ideas of what i want my new 40B to feature, and im strongly considering an anemone, but i know they sting and move.

Are anemones as much of a problem causer as i think they are?

personal opinions very welcome

As cool as they r ...they can be bad for corals....mine has killed 3 brains and I suspect it has devoured couple fish...one being my 5 yr hippo...so it's now in isolation in a smaller tank hosting 2 maroon clowns

Also, anybody have suggestions for a clown-hosting alternative that looks cool?

Really depends on how attached to the nem your are. If you really don't care if it move's and decides to sit on top of that $100 coral you just bought, then go for it. Trust me, eventually they will move.

the sitting on top of the $100 coral is what worries me.

Looking cool is a matter of opinion :laugh:

I have a RBTA in my tank that hasn't moved since I put it in its spot (center, high) but the clowns have never bother to even look at it. Instead, they seem to prefer the various frilly mushrooms .. go figure ...

Clowns will learn to host some random thing...sometimes a glass corner...a rock a leather coral...a torch..idk they are pretty ez going like that..

I've also noticed they get more aggressive when an anemone is introduced....

My RBTA is a pain in the a$$, it walked around for 2-3 months trying to figure out a perfect spot under my T5's when I changed over from MH, then one morning I got up to do my daily roll call on the tank, and the darn thing was nowhere to be found! I figured he sucked himself down into the rock, and decided to give him 30-40 minutes to sort himself out. When I checked back, the stupid thing SPLIT! However, I have to say, since the split, both clones have settled themselves and only stroll around a 6-inch area of this one rock, which I have refrained from putting anything good on. So long story short, I like mine now, but they are obnoxious until they figure out where they want to be. I say that now and watch, they'll figure out how to scale the glass to perch on my frag rack (soon to be full of awesome frags from Graham!)

I have a torch coral that could fool people as an anemone, plus I think it's prettier, here's pics of both:ad431b3c-2f0e-6403.jpg

Excuse my camera hogs...ad431b3c-2f4e-6e78.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clowns will learn to host some random thing...sometimes a glass corner...a rock a leather coral...a torch..idk they are pretty ez going like that..'ve also noticed they get more aggressive when an anemone is introduced....

Im thinking that maybe by introducing the coral to the tank before the clowns, they will discover it while searching for a place to host and find it favorable as opposed to some corner.

Tape a picture of a clown hosting in something (I've only tried it with rbta) to the tank by the coral/nem... Crazy idea, but my juv picasso went in that night.

I've had ocellaris clowns host in frogspawn. My current ocellaris lay their nest next to a very large bubble coral, but the clowns don't actually host in the coral.

Moved topic to general discussion.

Try an H. crispa and not the normal E. quadricolor if you want an anemone that doesn't move around much. The H. crispa prefers to be low in the tank and normally rests where the rockwork meets the sand bed.

As has been said, they can be a pain.. my last one constantly moved, got sucked into powerheads, killed corals, and was overall really annoying... that said, there is nothing more ubiquitous in the hobby than a clown in a nem... I don't have one now, but the next house I buy and have space for I plan on setting up a Nem\clown fowlr... to me personally its the only practical way. oh, yea, the clowns do get more aggressive too.. only fish bite I have ever had in 20+ years in aquariums hobby was from a protective female clown.

also as mentioned, long tentacle plate corals look pretty close and are pretty cool...

agressive clowns arent too much of a concern, i was rammed and bitten many times by a tiny false perc i used to have.

Dave's suggestion for H. crispa is a great one for getting an anemone that doesn't move. A couple other tricks with E. quadricolor are to surround it's foot with rocks and give it moderate current and light and also, once it's where you want it, feed it occasionally. Most of the time the only time bubbles move for me are after they split, which they do too frequently.

H. magnifica (ritteri) - trick is to put it on it's own rock at the very top of the rock. they tend to go to the highest flow/light area but don't tend to go down to get there. Feeding when it's put also helps. Another trick is to hem in the anemone with lps. bubbles tend to not like euphyllia.

I personally can't imagine a tank without an anemone/clown pair and think they're worth a little inconvience but that's just me.

My clowns host in a toadstool which is neat to look at, but I'm also considering an RBTA. I have what I think is a perfect spot for one: a slightly cupped right right in the middle of the tank about halfway up. That's where I'd want to be at least!:laugh:

Duncan with lots of heads. Pink n green hammer is really nice and clowns like them. Torch and frogspawn present problems of their own in a tank, with long sweepers and horrible stings (don't let your skin touch them). My clowns were hosting in an orange montipora for a long time... I would not have ever imagined clowns doing that, but they did.