1.5" drain or 1" drain. Does it really matter

epleeds

Question for everyone. I have a 1.5" bulkhead on the new tank I am setting up. I don't have a 1.5" gate valve, but I do have a 1" gate valve. If I reduced the 1.5" pipe to a 1" pipe after the bulkhead, does anyone think that would be a major issue?

I plan on running the full siphon drain and an emergency overflow pipe, 1" higher than the drain.

I really don't think it would matter much if I reduced it to a 1" drain pipe over the 1.5" but i thought i would get some other opinions before I do it.

Since I want to get the tank transferred in the next two days and all the stores are closed, my only real option is to reduce the pipe and run the 1" gate valve.

Lowes only has 1" gate valves. I have not tried HD yet. I was hoping someone had one in their stash that they had not used yet or wasnt planning on using for a little bit. I could buy them a new one to replace what they have.

I might just plumb it so I can cut out the 1" pipe next week. I really want to get it swapped over in the next two days and not have to wait till next weekend to do it.

You might try F&F. I had to find gate valves @ the local hardware store in Springfield (Fischer's). The local HD and Lowes have lousy selections of PVC fittings here.

I've never seen all plastic ones at home depot or lowes. Make sure it doesn't have any brass parts inside. You are going to restrict it anyway, so I think you'll be fine with the 1".

Use threaded adapters to temporarily reduce the 1.5 to 1". When you find the 1.5" GV, then unscrew the threaded adapters and put the 1.5" in.

No cutting involved and will get you up and running until the parts come in.

Use threaded adapters to temporarily reduce the 1.5 to 1". When you find the 1.5" GV, then unscrew the threaded adapters and put the 1.5" in.

No cutting involved and will get you up and running until the parts come in.

Good idea!

I got mine at Lowes, but that was over a year ago. But they do carry them. Something I have learned at both Lowes and Home Depot, is that at least half the time when I want something that isn't in a selection bin, the clerks can find it in one of the way up high unopened boxes.

I would stick with the 1.5 inch....the larger the return the less noisy it will be!

cheers,

Darren

First post says it is going to be run as a full siphon (like a Herbie). The size of the pipe is irrelevant because it will be restricted down to match the return pump flow. If you over size the pipe and valve, you'll just have to close it more.

First post says it is going to be run as a full siphon (like a Herbie). The size of the pipe is irrelevant because it will be restricted down to match the return pump flow. If you over size the pipe and valve, you'll just have to close it more.

yea that. Hypertech is smart.

What size is the emergency drain? How many holes total?

The tank has two holes. 1.5" and 1". I was going to run one as the drain and the other as the emergency. As for a return, I have a Mag 5 that i will run over the top with a nozzle.

I also will have an overflow cover, so the snail issue should not be much of a problem.

My tank has 1" and 3/4" holes. I used the big 1" for the main drain (siphon) and small 3/4" for the backup. I wish I had gone the other way. It works fine, but I'd have more margin for error with the extra capacity if the emergency were the larger drain.

If I ever replumb (and feel like ordering a new valve), that's how I will do it.

The tank has two holes. 1.5" and 1". I was going to run one as the drain and the other as the emergency. As for a return, I have a Mag 5 that i will run over the top with a nozzle.

I also will have an overflow cover, so the snail issue should not be much of a problem.

Put some unions around the gate valve so it can be removed for cleaning if something does make it's way in there one day.

The 1.5" emergency drain will be perfect. Just make sure the drain for the 1.5" is above the water so it will splash and make noise to tell you there is a problem.

you guys are way too paranoid.

just use the 1" for the return and the 1.5" for the drain.

what were you going to do, add a return hose that goes over the back? that looks horrible.

sure- it's possible that a snail could clog a drain, but it's also possible that you'll get hit by lightning.

emergency drain? what myth will they think of next that could possibly happen?

you guys are way too paranoid.

just use the 1" for the return and the 1.5" for the drain.

what were you going to do, add a return hose that goes over the back? that looks horrible.

sure- it's possible that a snail could clog a drain, but it's also possible that you'll get hit by lightning.

emergency drain? what myth will they think of next that could possibly happen?

seriously?

He is going to run a herbie overflow. It is very possible for something to clog a partially closed gate valve.