1.5" drain or 1" drain. Does it really matter

epleeds

If you're really concerned about an overflow situation, just use a pressure switch connected to the return pump and place it in the overflow. This way you can use the 2 bulkheads as they were designed for- drain and return.

Plumb the 1.5" drain with a simple standpipe that goes straight down the sump, put a "T" fitting sideways in the straight pipe and then make 2) drains going into the sump box and you'll have a dead silent drain that doesn't gurgle or splash.

This is exactly how I have mine.gallery_2631654_582_766865.jpg

First post says it is going to be run as a full siphon (like a Herbie). The size of the pipe is irrelevant because it will be restricted down to match the return pump flow. If you over size the pipe and valve, you'll just have to close it more.

Oops, sorry I missed that.......personally, I am not a big fan of the herbie method....but to each his or her own.......

Darren

I run two 2" drains.

If a drain is done correctly it can and will be almost silent.

Small holes are drilled in the top of each Tee

100123_100141.jpg

I would also use the 1.5" as a drain and the 1" for return.

I have an internal overflow, not an external. I will give it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

Rob. U actually running a skimmer now. Who would have thought.

I have an internal overflow, not an external. I will give it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

Rob. U actually running a skimmer now. Who would have thought.

Same principal can apply and still be silent. look up - durso stand pipe.

I find having the opening of the drain "under water" as in a durso with less joints in the drain plumbing and it will be quieter in the long run. Mine is a knock off type to suit my situation.

Joints in drain plumbing cause splashing noises internally.