Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

You really should qt even if the store you get them from does, and even if they're from a wamas member.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Ryan, Apogee has admitted that their PAR meter does not measure LEDs very well. Before you add any additional equipment, like T5s, you should wait for things to settle and see how corals react to your current lighting setup. Vivid Aquariums is growing SPS on the sandbed in a 30" deep tank with Radions.

Jim, I finally found the email from Apogee on this issue:

http://www.vividaquariums.com/apogee.htm

They said the error is approximately 20%. That would raise my numbers from:

360/280/360

290/260/290

90/100/90

to:

432/336/432

348/312/348

108/120/108

I guess that's a little better?

Edited by Ryan S

Ryan, at what color temperature do you have your radions set?

Another thing to consider is that while "we" generally like blue since it makes the colors "pop," PAR is higher at lower color temperatures. Daylight is around 6500k, so a lower temperature would have higher PAR numbers.

Another thing to consider is that while "we" generally like blue since it makes the colors "pop," PAR is higher at lower color temperatures. Daylight is around 6500k, so a lower temperature would have higher PAR numbers.

i had them at 12k, which is 100% of each color channel for the radions (blue, royal blue, cool white, green and hyper red). next time i get the par meter i will try it at 6500k, can't hurt!

If 12k has all the colors at 100%, then I doubt a lower color temp would have a higher PAR reading. But it would be a fun test!

I have been reading about new findings where growth rates have been recorded to be better at 20K apposed to 10K or more yellow light. There are some other measurements they are finding to be more important. I have to do some more research but it

20k radium is the bust bulb imo for growth and color...still grows faster than any of the 10k or 14k ive used on my frag tank that is part of the same system

^can you link that? Seeing something like that would be a first for me.

(edited)

I had a different experience with 10k vs 20k 250w MH bulbs when I had my 135g tank. The 20k had better colors, but the SPS grew slow as heck. When I switched to 10k, the colors weren't as great, but the growth was noticeably faster. That's why I eventually settled with 14k bulbs, trying to find the "sweet spot" between growth and coloration.

I need to do some research on these green and red LEDs that ecotech installed with the radions. why did they include them, what do they do, do they help or hurt, why does everyone else run just blue and white, etc.

Edited by Ryan S

red and green are mainly for our viewing pleasure from what i understand...ive hear the diff blue really make a diff (CW, WW, etc)in making a fuller spectrum..im no expert but this is the jist i get from reading.

not all 20k halides are equal....if they were i would never spend 70 bucks on a bulb.....Radiums are in a class of their own...others may feel different but im a firm believer.

not all 20k halides are equal....if they were i would never spend 70 bucks on a bulb.....Radiums are in a class of their own...others may feel different but im a firm believer.

this could be totally true. the 20k and 10k bulbs i had were cheap bulbs, non radiums. could've made all the difference.

random question:

placing 2 radions over a 36"x36" tank is easy. (radions are 12"x7")

placing 4 over the same size tank is easy.

but how would you place 3 over the tank? is this the best way:

20110914DSC3133EcoTech.jpg

Just wait for the bigger version of the radion to come out (kinda like the mp60) will probably only be like 10 or 20 grand...they will take trade ins on mercedes, bentley's, porsches, ferrari's....no astins though..look nice run like crap haha

as for set up...depends on your rock work...if you have nothign out the the sides why bother lighting it...least thats my 2 cent...id probably have them make a triangle

It depends.

Where are your corals and where to you want the light? If you have nothing in the front and middle where that middle light is on the image you posted to, then that wouldn't be a good configuration for you. Sometimes you just have to make a decision on your own and go with what's best for your configuration.

I think I will just buy 2 more radions and put them in 2x2 rows and call it a day.

That's what credit cards are for, right? :rolleyes:

I think I will just buy 2 more radions and put them in 2x2 rows and call it a day.

That's what credit cards are for, right? :rolleyes:

For your deep tank, and cost effectiveness you should have gone with the Photon Cannons. I love mine! There's no ramping up or down to mess with. I run (2) 12K's and (2) 453nm Blues. The look is amazing and even though the only coral I have added so far is a hammer coral, in just a weeks time it looks twice as big as when I bought it. Full extension and it seems very happy!

That's what credit cards are for, right? rolleyes.gif

Or, wait and see how the two you have do. You really don't have a reference point because you won't slow down long enough to let things grow. Just wait and see how things take off. Give it 6 months once everything is stable.

Its not just the lights that grow corals, its stable params, flow, available food, a multitude of things.

Chris - the canopy is too shallow for photo cannons. Plus they spotlight too much for my liking, but they are definitely awesome and powerful LED lights, no doubt about that.

I think what I am going to do is take a new FTS this weekend, once I place the new SPS frags everywhere. Then leave it alone for 3 months. And then take another FTS to compare. This guy had some great results for 3 months with radions. I want to see if I can duplicate his success or not:

fulldec-mar.jpg

Or, wait and see how the two you have do. You really don't have a reference point because you won't slow down long enough to let things grow. Just wait and see how things take off. Give it 6 months once everything is stable.

Its not just the lights that grow corals, its stable params, flow, available food, a multitude of things.

+1.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!