Need Some Help Picking Fish

~*Lisa*~

I am a newbie to the whole saltwater tank thing...my husband has a reef tank and all of his fish are doing very well and he has not lost any fish yet. I however have artificial decorations with live sand. I currently have 1 blue green chromis, 2 flame scallops, 1 very small hermit crab, and 1 snail. I previously had a BEAUTIFUL tang fish, 2 more blue green chromis fish, and 2 emerald crabs. Before purchasing the crabs I asked the owner of our local fish store if the crabs would bother any of my fish or if the fish would bother the crabs...she informed me that nothing would happen between the fish and the crabs. A few days later my crab killed my tang, then 2 of my chromis fish. Everyone has told me that the fish were probably already dead....but I caught the crab in the act!! I removed the crabs from my tank and I am terrified to add anything to my tank that will not mesh with the other fish I already have. Does anybody have suggestions for some colorful and hearty fish that I can add to my tank??

An emerald crab will not hurt a healthy tang. It more likely was on its way out and the crab was being opportunistic.

If you don't have corals, there are many angels and butterflies. Toby puffers have striking color variations too.

It's tough to make specific recommendations because you havnt said anything about your tank.

Edited by hypertech

My fish were all very healthy and swimming around and we were watching them eat...then the crab grabbed a hold of the tang when it got close and started ripping it to shreds as it was swimming (well more like freaking out) I tried to save it...but the crab worked too fast and I couldnt grab the fish in the net.

Edited by ~*Lisa*~

It's tough to make specific recommendations because you havnt said anything about your tank.

I have a 40 gallon upright tank, artificial decorations and plants...what other info would be helpful?? I really want to get something going with this tank

Wow, I have emerald crabs in my tank and never had one to kill a fish. Maybe because my fish are on the larger side but i do have 2 bw clowns and 2 yellow tail damsels that do fine. How big was the tang and other fish?

Wow, I have emerald crabs in my tank and never had one to kill a fish. Maybe because my fish are on the larger side but i do have 2 bw clowns and 2 yellow tail damsels that do fine. How big was the tang and other fish?

The tang was a pretty good size (which is why that event was so shocking) and the 2 chromis fish were pretty small

A 40 tall tank is rather limited for very active fish. Probably a possum wrasse, yellow clown goby or a firefish (only one unless it is a true pair)

My fish were all very healthy and swimming around and we were watching them eat...then the crab grabbed a hold of the tang when it got close and started ripping it to shreds as it was swimming (well more like freaking out) I tried to save it...but the crab worked too fast and I couldnt grab the fish in the net.

Im sorry, but I have a really hard time believing a 1.5" crab grabbed a tang and ripped it to shreds.. How bout a pic of this amazing crab.?

I don't mean to pile on but perhaps what you had wasn't an emerald crab, I have two in a 14 gallon bio cube with a pair of baby clowns, the clowns sleep nearly touching the rock work and its never been an issue.

Though... maybe with the artificial decorations there wasn't enough to eat and it went after something it thought it could eat.

I would try some dart gobies, perhaps a prawn goby shrimp pair.

Maybe it was a gorilla crab not an emerald? Regardless, it sucks that you lost your fish.

I think the firefish, clown gobies or cardinals are a good choice for a smaller tank.

Ron

If you aren't running a reef, one of these would definitely be on my list: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+39+232&pcatid=232

Really? You're recommending a puffer fish for a noob? :wacko:

To the OP, easy to care for fish that dont require any special feedings or problems with other tankmates

Clownfish - many different species to choose from. Generally its good to have 2(buy them at the same time- except for maroons which for a noob i would avoid to start with)

Gobies - again many different species and color variations to choose from.

Cardinals - PJ Cardinals and Banggai cardinals are the most popular. They do good in groups of 3 or more.

Hawkfish - The flame hawkfish is my favorite fish, lots of personality and a very vibrant red color.

Wrasses - Good addition of color in a fish only tank, but they are prone to jump, so a cover or canopy is neeed. These fish can also be troublesome when first added to a tank, they tend to hide for long periods of time.

Blennies - Very good at eating algae in the tank, active and fast growing. If you dont have algae you should supplement their diet with some nori (algae sheets)

Dont add all the fish at once, its a good idea to wait several weeks in between adding fish.

Fish to avoid.

Tangs - For that size tank its too small for tang, they need lots of room to swim, a 4 foot long tank is too small for most tangs.

Damsels - Sure they are cheap. but they generally mean and very hard to catch when you need to remove them.

Puffers - did I mention that already?

Edited by FearTheTerps

Im going with the others that I find it very hard to believe that a emerald cought and ripped apart a healthy tang. But either way, a tang should not be in a 40 gallong tank as it is just nowhere near big enough for them; especially one that she claims in large.

As others have said, why not stick with some clowns, gobies, blennies, and maybe a wrasse. But before you do what are your water paramaters, and please get us a pic of this crab so we can identify it properly.

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps a gorilla crab or something along those lines. Emerald crabs don't hurt fish.

Maybe it was a gorilla crab not an emerald? Regardless, it sucks that you lost your fish.

I think the firefish, clown gobies or cardinals are a good choice for a smaller tank.

Ron

I'd take these recommendations and check out the fish on Liveaquaria. Then I'd check the compatability chart.

Edited by Jan

I dunno. I added an emerald crab and my perfectly healthy chromi was gone within days. Had the fish for over 2 years prior, and healthy as could be. Anything is possible as many of us know.

I caught the emerald crab picking polyps off my poci a few days later and removed him.

Liveaquaria has a stock list for nano tanks. Just do a search on theri site for "Nano fish". There are many to choose from. You'll also be able to read about compatability, eating habits, etc.

+1 to this! Just note that some fish are jumpers, and you will need some sort of cover on your tank.

Edited by BowieReefer84

I thought the problem with puffers was the inverts, not the corals. Do they nip corals too?

And why is the papuan listed as not reef safe, but the blue spotted toby is with caution and it gives the same description of chowing on inverts?

I've done a lot of reading on that fish because I really want one, but I haven't worked up the nerve to get it. Many larger inverts including cleaner shrimp seem to be mostly OK. Smaller inverts like snails are probably toast. There are many reports of them being good reef inhabitants though there are also several that report they will raise mayhem. Actually, the mixed reviews are very similar to what you read about dwarf angels and I've kept many of those in reef tanks with no problems as long as they are fed well. I've almost convinced myself to add one to my reef tank several times but keep changing my mind because I've got a clam I'm worried it might go for.