Loss of a local reefer, David Cabrera (reefmaster5).

chucelli

For those of you who may have met David Cabrera of Olney, or have known him, I wanted to share his death with WAMAS since reefing was one of his passions. "reefmaster5", was killed in Kabul, Afghanistan on October 29th when a suicide bomber drove his truck into the NATO convoy of which David was a part. 17 people were killed. I only learned about it last week on my way home from work when I heard his name mentioned on the radio. It was a very surreal experience and I wasn't sure whether I heard right at first, but deep down I think I knew it was him. I wasn't super close to him, but we shared a beer or two and talked "fish talk" and our families got together a few times and I considered him a friend.

I know many lives are lost when war is involved, but David was a local who shared the same passion as us. One of his wishes was to make sure his children were taken care of, so a memorial fund has been set up. For those of you who want to contribute, you can go to http://davidcabrera.us/ to donate or get more info.

-Robert

Edited by chucelli

Wow. I got my first gorgonian frag from David years ago. Last I knew he was at NIH, I didn't even know he was in the military. Very, very sad.

Too many taken from us too soon. I've never met David. I'm certain he was a great guy. As it is always the great ones that are taken from us too soon.

My sincerest heartfelt condolences go to his wife, children and other immediate family members as well as his friends. I am forever greatful for his service to our great nation. He sacrificed his life for liberty and to help keep us all safe. He is a hero!

Janice Latker

It has taken me three attempts to read that article today. News like this is very sad and it hits very close to home both being a service member and having so many friends who serve with me.

I didn't know David, but from the little I have gathered, it would have been an honor to have known him. Best wishes to his family.

I agree. I don't know why it isn't front page news. Wasn't it during WWI and WWII that people could see clips at the movies of our vets at the frontlines? It was news everywhere. Why have we become so complaicent about all these people who put their lives on the line everyday for us? Our solders were drafted back then. The ones now have enlisted. they've made the choice to serve. Even more reason to honor them, in my opinion. Why are we allowed to forget them for one moment? There should be a column in the paper every week with a bio about one person from each of the armed forces as well as a clip that is shown at the theaters across the nation. There should even be a clip on cable and direct TV, a spotlight on "Know who's keeping you safe tongiht!"..This should go on until the war is over. We should know about each and every one of them before something like this happens. Unfortunately we should know about them again, when we lose them. Sending messages out across the nation would also prompt people to support their families.

RIP, David. Now I know who you are. Thank you!

Thanks for posting that article Jan. The last paragraph is very true!

Edited by Jan

I always feel something inside, every time I hear about another one of our Troops being taken from us. These men and women, unselfishly willing to put their lives on the line so we can live the dream.

Anytime I see a troop of past and present, I always make sure to thank them. Those that I can't thank, I hope they know what they do is appreciated by us.

My sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

People willing to sacrifice their lives for something greater, should always be looked at as national heros.

• 2 weeks later...