Extreme Fragging - from a single polyp

Origami

In today's edition of Advanced Aquarist, there's a video of extreme fragging.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/fragging-acropora-extreme-edition-video

Some of you may recognize this system as being from a guy in Portugal who propagates thousands of corals from single polyps in a large propagation system that he's built in his garage. As I recall, his lighting (when I first read about him a couple of years ago) is supplied by ATI T5's (mostly Aquablue Specials and Blue Plus lamps).

In the accompanying video, he shows his coral propagation technique using floral picks, bone cutters, split-ring pliers, and Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if he sees a higher success rate by using an iodine solution that makes up for the slower method. Interesting.

So why not use a bigger frag and the iodine filled tube? It seems like you'll have larger frags that much quicker...

I'm sure that you can. As mentioned in the article, growth is exponential. To me, it would be pretty cool to say that you grew a colony out from a single polyp.

• 1 month later...

So i gave this a try.

Dont have what it looked like when I fragged it, but it was about 3/4 this size. As you can see, it's encrusting nicely... Fragged a day or two after this thread was started, so this is a little over a month of growth... just like a article said, one month it'll start to encrust... lets see if it'll exponentially take off.

IMG_1007%255B1%255D.JPG

Edited by hlem

That's cool! Thanks for the update!

Very interesting article. It looked like a candy store in his place.

I have a question tho... can someone please explain to me what iodine does exactly? I know it protects against infections and helps with healing but other than that? I am about to frag some SPS and I wanted to find out about iodine as well as what the tubes and plastic covers are...

Thanks!

Very interesting article. It looked like a candy store in his place.

I have a question tho... can someone please explain to me what iodine does exactly? I know it protects against infections and helps with healing but other than that? I am about to frag some SPS and I wanted to find out about iodine as well as what the tubes and plastic covers are...

Thanks!

I think that the iodine does just what you repeated: Protects against infections and keeps inside of the tube, which contains stagnant water, from becoming a bacterial soup.

The iodine is probably Lugol's solution.

The tubes are called floral picks or water tubes. Here are some here:

http://www.afloral.com/Floral-Supplies/Water-Tubes-and-Picks

^ Thanks for your reply, Tom! Does one ever change that iodine water at all (solution I believe is RODI water + Iodine)? Also, when should one remove the tube from the cap/coral-frag?

Thanks!

^ Thanks for your reply, Tom! Does one ever change that iodine water at all (solution I believe is RODI water + Iodine)? Also, when should one remove the tube from the cap/coral-frag?

Thanks!

I don't know the answer to the first question. I suspect that you can leave it as is, without changing it, until the frag is removed. As for the second question, remove it after it encrusts the cap and when you want to move it to another surface. As I recall, the cap is flexible enough that you can just glue it directly to the rock or other substrate.

• 1 month later...

pic few minutes ago. check a few posts up for dec's pic. 2 months of growth.

IMG_3832.JPG

not as fast growing as i thought it would be. maybe it's just my tank... but definitely encrusting surely but slowly.

Looks like some very nice growth to me. It should be very interesting what it does over the next couple of months.

^Agree!

I am still not sure what my conclusion is (whether it is worth it or not), but this is absolutely fascinating! Thanks for sharing your growth results!

• 1 month later...

I accidentally fragged a single polyp tip from a tort several weeks ago and it is encrusting and has 2 more polyps on it. Have also kept very tiny pieces of corals that later grew into good sized frags. No iodine.

• 3 months later...

hlem, can we get an update on the frag?

Oh sure. I'll get a pic when I get home tonight. Thought no one is interested anymore :)

Oh sure. I'll get a pic when I get home tonight. Thought no one is interested anymore :)

We're interested! Please post an update. :biggrin:

I think there are a bunch of folks are interested, this is cool!!