Tek Light Mods

Max Ivers

I'm thinking about a few mods for my Sunlight Supply 8x54 fixture.

First off, the fan mod that's been done many times

Link here

Second and the more important question...I want to put LED's in place of at least one of my bulbs, I miss that insane actinic pop of the Royal Blue's that I see in my frag tank (run by 2 Par38 LED bulbs). Is it in any way possible to use the aluminum reflector of my Tek Fixture as a heatsink for the LEDs? I'm looking to take up the space in my reflector of one T5 bulb that is 48" long, how many LEDs do I need? I'm really not interested in a PAR boost as I'm already getting good color and growth even just 2" above my sandbed of SPS, and my colors are all light and pastel (zeo-like) so I know I'm getting enough light, now I'm looking for the right color.

Thanks for all the input!

I think the reflectors would get too hot from the T5s and not work well as a heat sink for LEDs

Honestly, I would just stick with the T5s. With an 8 bulb fixture you have tons of combinations of bulb colors that you can use to get the right color that you want.

I did a few mods on my Tek fixture and it turned out pretty good. Took out my 3 and 6 bulbs, cut the reflector out on those spots and installed a 2" aluminum heatsink with 4 screws to the top of the canopy. I cut the reflector so I can get the 3 fans cooling the heatsink. I have 24RB and 24CW but if you want pop I would say 24 RB would be IDEAL. It is a lot of light. I only run them at about 50%. The color pop is very nice. I also replaced my TEK T5 ballasts with 0-10V dimming ballast so I can dim them with the APEX.

Edited by Supernova26

Yeah I'm trying to deal with that problem...I guess I could try wiring it like an IceCap retro and skipping the 4th bulb's endcaps and just tying the wires together.

Supernova - Any shot of you posting a few pics next time you clean out your fixture?

I think the reflectors would get too hot from the T5s and not work well as a heat sink for LEDs

Honestly, I would just stick with the T5s. With an 8 bulb fixture you have tons of combinations of bulb colors that you can use to get the right color that you want.

Yeah, that's why I want to do the fan mod, pushing roughly 300cfm of air through this fixture is pretty insane cooling...I'm going to try to keep it (fixture housing) cool to the touch.

I have good overall color to the tank, but I miss the actinic pop. I currently run Front to Back: (the center 4 are my actinics)

All Bulbs are ATI unless otherwise stated.

Blue+

Aquablue Special

Blue+

Current 460nm (yes its a piece of junk, I'm looking for pop and this was the best of the bulbs I had on hand for pop)

Fiji Purple

Blue+

KZ Coral Light (new gen)

Blue+

I have my actinics on from noon till 10pm and the daylights from 1 till 9. Fixture is ~6" off the WATER not the RIM, and I do have the splashguard on.

Yeah but I'm 17...just finished building AND PAYING FOR an inwall 120 with a fish room. So dropping at least 1k on LED's aint happening. Plus I already have bulbs for next year and my parents pay the power bill rolleyes.gif

I will get some pictures during my upgrade. The only issue that I don't like with my fixture is that I could not put the 4 ELN drivers inside the fixture. Not a big deal but it would have them in the fixture.

Good link. In that thread I found a link to something I've been looking for, for a while. http://www.led-tech....12_106_151.html

I think it would fit perfectly in place of a t5 reflector. If my wife wouldn't exile me for doing it on a brand new fixture, I'd really consider getting a couple and modding my T5 fixture.

Edited by Integral9

Good link. In that thread I found a link to something I've been looking for, for a while. http://www.led-tech....12_106_151.html

I think it would fit perfectly in place of a t5 reflector. If my wife wouldn't exile me for doing it on a brand new fixture, I'd really consider getting a couple and modding my T5 fixture.

very cool. how many leds do you think you could put on there? may try that on the tek fixture i've got lying around.

Wow those are perfect! Any idea who makes something like this in the US? I'd hate to see shipping from the UK plus the exchange rate sucks.

Wow those are perfect! Any idea who makes something like this in the US? I'd hate to see shipping from the UK plus the exchange rate sucks.

it says on the website how much shipping is worldwide. It looked like it would be between $40 and $50 US