Hair algae?

Jrod

Wondering what this is and how to treat it? I'm thinking it's hair algae growing off this coral. It's one of my survivors from my other tank that blew up. After all the stress from transferring it twice it started growing this stuff.

gallery_2632806_983_726596.jpg

two-barred rabbitfish is all you need.

To eat the zoas?

:)

Its not like it is overrunning your tank. Sit tight. Mine went away with no intervention. Do you have any tangs? Let your parameters settle. I would'nt worry.

Ron

I am having the same problem in my tank. I was wondering what type of algae was able to spread on the sandbed. Is raising magnesium with tech m the best and safest way to kill this algae?

Tangs dont eat bryopsis..

Few things are absolute.

I am having the same problem in my tank. I was wondering what type of algae was able to spread on the sandbed. Is raising magnesium with tech m the best and safest way to kill this algae?

What is your current Mg level? And of course make sure you have a test kit for what you are dosing.

I would start with water quality first. Reduce feeding, check parameters, check your skimmer. How old are your bulbs?

I would do all of those things first.

Just a thought...

What is your current Mg level? And of course make sure you have a test kit for what you are dosing.

I would start with water quality first. Reduce feeding, check parameters, check your skimmer. How old are your bulbs?

I would do all of those things first.

Just a thought...

Parameters are in check, bulbs are around 2 months old, i feed a small amount of pellets once a day, i do not run a skimmer(never did on any of my tanks) but recently added a refugium. I will test me my mag while dosing the tech-m. I think i introduced it into my tank from a frag.

Edited by collegeman

I'd say that's an effective treatment. Could you elaborate on the process?

After a water change I took a small bowl of some tank water and mixed it 50/50 with 3% H202. I then dropped my frag in there for maybe 10 minutes. Rinsed it off and put it back in the tank. The palys opened right back up the next day as good as new. The briopsis did come back though. I repeated this process during my next two water changes and I haven't seen it since.

I know this is a popular method for freshwater aquarists but I don't think it's typically used in reef tanks. A lot of people on another board I'm on have tried it with great success. It at least seems to be okay for palys/zoas. I think it will kill some SPS though (some people tried dosing the whole tank with it).

• 2 weeks later...

After a water change I took a small bowl of some tank water and mixed it 50/50 with 3% H202. I then dropped my frag in there for maybe 10 minutes. Rinsed it off and put it back in the tank. The palys opened right back up the next day as good as new. The briopsis did come back though. I repeated this process during my next two water changes and I haven't seen it since.

I know this is a popular method for freshwater aquarists but I don't think it's typically used in reef tanks. A lot of people on another board I'm on have tried it with great success. It at least seems to be okay for palys/zoas. I think it will kill some SPS though (some people tried dosing the whole tank with it).

I will try this today.