Maureen & Jon's 34g RSM 130D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why did you wire in series and not in parallel?

Jason,

Do you mean why didn't I wire the two strands in parallel and run them off a single driver? I wanted blue on one driver and white on another so I could increase and decrease the white and blue colors independently. So if the tank looks too blue, I turn down the blue driver a bit. Sure, the second driver is $34, but I think it's worth it to be able to adjust the color, not just the overall brightness.

With a single driver I'd be stuck with whatever color results from all the LEDs running together. In that case I could change the overall brightness with a dimming signal, but I couldn't change the color without installing new LEDs.

• 4 weeks later...

Sam, here's a livestock update:

2 Barlett's anthias

2 neon gobies

Blue stripe pipefish

Tailspot blennie

Yellow watchman goby

Bullseye pistol shrimp

Peppermint shrimp

Emerald crab

Assorted small snails and a couple of hermit crabs

I also replaced the stock skimmer with a Tunze 9002 and Stevie-T collection cup. It's much smaller than the stock skimmer, works better, and is much quieter. I also added a Stevie-T media rack with prefilter floss, chemipure, and purigen.

We've been getting a consistent dusting of cyano on the sandbed, so the next hardware addition will be an MP10 to increase the flow inside the tank enough to help with the cyano without making it too turbulent for the pipefish.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Ryan. It still looks like a collection of frags on most of the rock work, but they're growing! The acans are doing especially well. Can't wait for it to really fill in, the colors are going to be really nice.