What could be killing my fish?

Jan

(edited)

Hi folks, it's been a while. I've lost 5 fish in 10 days. My poor Kole tang is looking starved. He's next. I don't see any ick. Phosphates a little high but it's always a little off. No ammonia, no nitrates, no nitrites. I'm perplexed. I've lost a mated pair of mandarin, 2 anthias and 1 blue chromis. What are you thoughts? My cleaner shrimps and scarlet shrimp are all fine. SPS is fine too. Some started to RTN a few weeks back but it stopped.

Edited by Jan

Hi folks, it's been a while. I've lost 5 fish in 10 days. My poor Kole tang is looking starved. He's next. I don't see any ick. Phosphates a little high but it's always a little off. No ammonia, no nitrates, no nitries. I'm perplexed. I've lost a mated pair of mandarin, 2 anthias and 1 blue chromis. What are you thoughts? My cleaner shrimps and scarlet shrimp are all fine. SPS is fine too. Some started to RTN a few weeks back but it stopped.

Very sorry for your losses. I hope you can find the cause.

(edited)

No, the Kole tang is not eating normally. I tought parasite too. My kole tang was hardy and gorgeous. It's pale, very thin and has a round bump, like the size of a pea protruding from it's belly on both sides. It looks like it swallowed a pea. My anthias swelled up in a matter of days. It looked like they died of dropsey but dropsey is a sign not a cause so I thought parasite...but what kind? Where did it come from? My Manadrins I just can't find anywhere. I've got loads of pods for them to eat. I always see them grazing. I haven;t seen them in days. MY tang and Anthias also had white stringy poop. After I posted this I noticed my royal gama is looking spotted and my black blenny is pale and thin too. I can't treat the tank as it's a mixed reef. All the other fish are doing fine. My 4 black clowns are eating and swimming around just fine. My 4 PJ cardinals (I don't like these fish) are doing fine too. It wouldn't have bothered me so much to lose these guys. The one Anthia and 2 chromis I have left look fine.

Is the Kole tang eating normally? Maybe a parasite?

Edited by Jan

Im sorry to hear about your fish. I hope the rest pull through ok.

(edited)

It could be internal parasites since you mentioned the stringy white poo coming from the fish. I would treat for that.

Edited by Coral Hind

The white stringy poo makes me think parasite. Do you have a hospital tanks you can move the fish to for treatment?

(edited)

I have a hospital tank. Today my black clowns all have white grainy spots on them...Ick! I'm not looking forward to this at all. I'll do a freshwater dip with methalyne blue for all the fish I can catch for 30 minutes, after I adjust temp and ph, then I'll place them in a glass bare bottom hospital tank and treat with copper. The problem is that I will have to house them away from the 75 gallon for up to 90 days and I don't think I have what I need to be able to do that. But I'll try.

This is totally my fault for neglecting my tank for several months becaseu of personal issues. I fell terrible and have to give it a try. :cry:

Edited by Jan

Guest thefishman65

If you need a larger hospital tank I have a 55 you can have. The last inhabitant was a bearded dragon so it might need a good scrub.

I have a hospital tank. Today my black clowns all have white grainy spots on them...Ick! I'm not looking forward to this at all. I'll do a freshwater dip with methalyne blue for all the fish I can catch for 30 minutes, after I adjust temp and ph, then I'll place them in a glass bare bottom hospital tank and treat with copper. The problem is that I will have to house them away from the 75 gallon for up to 90 days and I don't think I have what I need to be able to do that. But I'll try.

This is totally my fault for neglecting my tank for several months becaseu of personal issues. I fell terrible and have to give it a try. :cry:

the copper should take care of most of what they have, but the internal parasites may require prazi. if you get pure prazi powder(i can help with that) not the premixed stuff then you can run prazi and copper together( have done at least a thousand times). I would recommend using coppersafe or copper power(basically anything but cupramine) as its more stable and you dont have to do alot of testing, dosing, testing redosing etc. I really woudnt worry about FW dip with blue, especially if they are going right into copper...copper is mildly antifungal, and mildly antibacterial and should stop any any ectoparasite as well as secondary infections.

Best of luck

Sean

(edited)

These fish are dying every day. Will ick kill them this fast? My Royal Gramma was fine on Sunday and now it's dead. The clownfish don't have spots anymore but now the PJ cardinals are starting to get a white film over their eyes. The Royal Gramma had a white film over both it's eyes when I found it stuck to one of my powerheads dead. It's all bloated too. Is this ick? Can't find the Tang and the poor black blenny looks starved and is pale gray. This is happening too fast!!!

Edited by Jan

Will copper kill this? Do these things affect us in any way? Is there any harm to me when I put my hands in infected water?

Amyloodinium Ocellatum / Brooklynella

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of much success with any treatment plan, if it's in fact your case.

It's the only thing that comes to mind based upon rapid loss that you've experienced.

Okay, fair enough. That's the conclusion I've come to as well. These fish are dying at an alarming rate and from what I've read it's hit or miss for both diseases with treatment at this stage. I've got to decide if it's worth all the trouble or if I should let nature take it's course, cut my loses and build back up at a later time. Thanks everyone.

J

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of much success with any treatment plan, if it's in fact your case.

It's the only thing that comes to mind based upon rapid loss that you've experienced.

Someone had some luck with formalin and a clown recently that had brook. I can't recall who it was, but it was an expensive clown. I think it was formalin...

Overall it sounds like one problem compounding another. You mentioned that some of the fish were emaciated and had stringy poop so my thought is that they were in a weakened state and then were hit with a bunch of things all at once. It could even be a chain reaction of things that were already there - weakened condition allowed other infections to take hold and then the death of a fish fouled water quality a little bit allowing more problems to get a foot hold. If you can, I would attempt to treat but the problem I'm seeing is that if they're weakened that much the stress of getting transferred over could also kill them. Worth trying to save them overall, though, at least in my opinion.

I'm going to try to take the rest of the fish out today. I just can't stand seeing them suffer and waste away like this. I really thought some would overcome and survive but it doesn't look like the case. I lost my last Anthia this morning. The blenny is going to go at any minute. All the Cardinals are infected, my huge engineer goby is infected and 3 out of the four black clowns look infected. The goby, who's 15" long, is going to be a real problem to catch.

So do I treat with Formalin, Copper, both or ??

Jan, give Sean at F&F a call and get his advice. He's good with this sort of thing and can set you up with some stuff that's not readily available.

(edited)

Someone had some luck with formalin and a clown recently that had brook. I can't recall who it was, but it was an expensive clown. I think it was formalin...

That was Anthony , Fazio92

Here's the thread...

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/42141-amyloodinium-ocellatum-marine-velvet/

Edited by FearTheTerps

Sean,

Why not get the prazi pro (pre mixed)?

the copper should take care of most of what they have, but the internal parasites may require prazi. if you get pure prazi powder(i can help with that) not the premixed stuff then you can run prazi and copper together( have done at least a thousand times). I would recommend using coppersafe or copper power(basically anything but cupramine) as its more stable and you dont have to do alot of testing, dosing, testing redosing etc. I really woudnt worry about FW dip with blue, especially if they are going right into copper...copper is mildly antifungal, and mildly antibacterial and should stop any any ectoparasite as well as secondary infections.

Best of luck

Sean