Thanks to Greg I didn't have to do much for my new lights! He had something that fit perfect and I am very happy with what I got from him. I am not going to build a canopy or a skin for the stand I will leave it open. The lights slide out on a light rack incase I have to get in to move rocks around and they also move back a foot so I can move corals around easier too. Still using 10k XM's and 4 blue T5s for color, I love the look, maybe after a while I will add another two t5s for a purple bulb or something. You can also see the skimmer I am using in one of the pics, just on older lifereef but its working great for us.

Do you think hooking up the vents and putting the glass in will help the bulbs run better or longer? I already have a big glass center brace so I dunno if light going through two glass pieces will be good.

Front tank shots with the new lights. First one didn't turn out too good...

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

How the lights are setup...

IMG_1605.jpg

Side view of everything...

IMG_1604.jpg

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Its been 3 and a half months so I took a pic today and figured I would make an update on how everything is doing. Hopefully I have got rid of all the flatworms, if they come back the tank will never look like this again, so my fingers are crossed.

IMG_2178.jpg

Edited by Piper27

Just trying to save some money for a bigger pump and a 30 breeder for a frag tank. It's extremely hard for us to save up money for this kinda stuff, and I am very weary of buying a used pump unless it wasn't used much and they have paperwork with it. Other than that we are are just praying for the aefws to stay gone for good, I have spent way to much time, energy, and money trying to rid them from the tank. If they come back I am probably just going to keep non acro sps for a good while. I just can't believe how well everything did through all the weekly dips and everything. Aefws are defiantly not to be underestimated...

• 1 month later...

So I upgraded to a 400w over the center brace. I am hoping that I can put some better corals under it. Suprised that the brightness blends in well with the smaller halides on either side too, very pleased. I guess we will see how long it takes for me to decide to put 2 more 400's up... I don't know what I am going to do with that birdsnest by next year, that thing is a grower for sure...

Its been over 2 months (from what I remember) since my last dip for aefw and I have checked all the acros for bite marks and eggs. I couldn't find any, so my hopes are up... There was one colony up next to a powerhead that was receding from being hit with flow. The thing kept worrying me so I diped it and didn't find anything. I ended up drying it out because I was tired of thinking it was getting eaten by flat worms.

I still havent seen any dinos or whatever that was that blew up in the tank around a month ago. And I got the alk back in check finally after refilling the calcium reactor and switching from mrs. wages to brs. When the mystery goo was in the tank it clogged up the reactor and all the media was lifted to the top. When I tapped it to shake it all down to the bottom I guess it must have raised the alk a point or two.

Thanks oh yea and on the fish side... We figured out that the sailfin was the one who has been chasing out fish so we took him to the fish store. We think the copperband, female mandarin and bicolor blenny all jumped or went missing because of him. The other fish looked relieved that he was gone the second I pulled him out. It was easy also, I put some food in the net and he actually swam into the net.

So now I am looking a getting a new tang and maybe some schooling fish, either more pajamas for our lone wolf or something else.

• 1 month later...

Man did I need new ballasts... I picked up some lumatek dimables and they are nice! I think I am going to have to switch out the blueline 400 for another lumatek. If the tank was doing decent with the old ballasts I wonder what the lumateks will do for it. I knew something was up with that old ballast when one side read 350 and the other read 325...