• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone that has helped cut my favorite colonies down to size and to anyone who has came and bought colonies from me! I hope they are all healthy and happy! I may post one more shot of whats left under one halide before I take the tank down in a few weeks, or however long it takes. The point is taking the tank down now is doable in a short timeframe. All the fish will go in the temp tubs or be sold to friends. I will sell the tank and stand once everything is broken down.

• 2 months later...

3 month update... The tank went through a rough alk situation when I cut everything back. Lots of burnt tips and a few spots of rtn. I put the calcium reactor back on and things look better. Colors are coming back and am down to two halides. The ac in the house is actually working so it seems I fixed the leak. Hopefully I can run it through the summer without anything happening.

Amanda got a few nice lenses for her cannon and last night she played around with top down shots. She knows a lot about photography and I can't wait for her to give me some pictures to post! I was so excited to see how well the macro shots turned out last night. So there will be some pics coming!

• 1 month later...

So I have just hooked up a doser to experiment with dosing instead of calcium reactors and Kalk. Seems every time it gets going a solenoid malfunctions or whatnot... Hopefully it will help keep everything stable until I get the funds for new calcium reactor equipment. Hoping to get a planted aquariums rig with a NEW controller. I am also making my own calcium reactor that way I can have the right pump and add features exactly how I want them.

In a month or so I will take a new fts and some more macros. This time without fiddling with photoshop.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the missing 400w in the center of the tank. I tossed two d120's in there. Optics off except for the two short side rows. I ran one fixture for about two weeks I think, then today input the other one up. All the corals are used to 400w lights so I am not sure what settings are appropriate. I may have to borrow a par meter. It looks like after 25% power both channels especially the blue don't get much brighter. All in all I am really happy with the color options on the bulbs because it was very easy to switch out the LEDs to match my 400w 12k reflux bulbs.

Posted Image

Dosing pumps are up for calcium, alk and vinegar from which I am at about 40ml of a day. I am hoping the dosers work as well as the reactor, I am happy about the ph increase. The refugium is growing cheato like crazy now that I am not running gfo full time anymore. I use the gfo for a day if the phosphates get above .04 and I can see it in some corals when I needs to be done.

I left a vortech off for a few days and my Sean Bennett tort started to Stn. Also had a piece of eggcrate get stuck in the skimmer pump so that didn't help anything until I finally fixed it last weekend. I put a ton of wild frags on rocks to grow out, along with a few nice small wild colonies. Collecting exactly what corals we love and not just buying a ton of cheap wamas frags is so much fun, and I am anxious to watch them grow.

Biggest news is we may have a solution to get a new ac unit inside and out :). Also have ideas for venting the halides outside and adding a dedicated circuit. Not sure when I will get time for this though.

Here is the 75 gallon sump filled with cheato.

Posted Image

Here is a pic of the d120's opened up when I was switching and replacing LEDs.

Posted Image

Oh and here is a pic of Sabre pushing one out into the tub of sand I pulled from Amanda's tank. Figi pink is no longer pink :( I pulled it, cleaned it, let it dry, and only had it out for ONE Min. When I turn around i see this...

Posted Image

We all know what that face means...

• 4 weeks later...