• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man :)

Also I have been having a few rtn's and a one or two Stn patches, because I accidentally let the alk drift to 9 (at least I think that was most of it).

I pulled my favorite coral out of the water to move it yesterday and got some pics. I am still trying to figure out what kind of acropora it is so any guesses would be helpful! Here are two pics, both with flash but one is closer than the other. Photos were taken out of the water so the Cree blues that were on messed it up a little

Posted Image

Posted Image

(edited)

Just testing pics...

desymuge.jpg

Here is an updated shot of this coral, after carbon dosing. It's getting a lot more light now.

ypababem.jpg

Edited by Coral Hind
corrected links

Can someone fix the last post and this one (I am sure it's not going to put the image either)

Some new top down IPhone shots.

acropora jacquelineae

Posted Image

Guessing this Aussie piece is a spathulata.

Posted Image

Random stuff including a tdf frag and one of my favorites pink abrotranoides.

Posted Image

Something is no right, the alk as only gone down from 8.5 to 8 in well over a week. The first blue Millie has all rtned. The one I pictured a few days ago (link is messed up in the HTML still) when I was showing the color difference has started to rtn on the whole underside. Full color is on the coral, even parts of this coral have started turning neon green just like the polyps did on the blue tort that was dying.

I have not changed my carbon dose since I cut it in half and the nitrates stay at 1. Po4 is the same as always, around .04

The alk has NEVER sat idle like this and it's scaring me. I grew that Millie out from a frag so that tells me something is up. Everything looks normal, all other corals are fine. I am scared to start the dosers back up because I am reading alk over 8 is no good. The I ly other corals that have died in this manner were two maricultured Millie's that never got polyp extension. The one that's dying now has great polyp extension but all the flesh on the underside has just melted off and it's just bare clean skeleton. I am not changing anything so far because I know the tank needs to stabilize. But if other corals start to rtn like this I am not sure what I should do. I also think its odd that this Millie had green colors all through it too. If someone fixes my links it will be viewable to everyone, not sure why I can't edit my own posts...

• 5 weeks later...

We think its time for this one to come down, nothing but problems for a long time. Can't figure out what is wrong other than maybe a bacterial infection... I have no more energy or money to put into this one so hopefully it will all be gone soon. Starting over with a new tank will be fun bu it's going to take a while to break this one down they way we want too.

I'm sorry to hear you are getting frustrated with the tank. If it is bacterial can you dip the corals in something iodine?

You seemed to worry about the Alk levels being high. What exactly is the alkalinity level since you never stated if it is dKH or meq/L? I ran mine at 9 dKH normally but even as high as 11 dKH.

I also corrected your photo links for you.

Smallreef, thanks for the kind words.

Coralhind, I was only worried about the alk level when my nitrates went near 0. The tank still barley consumes any alk or calcium and sat idle for a month about. Dipping the corals doesn't help. The alk hasn't went any higher than 10 ever, and stayed around 8.5 the whole time I carbon dosed.

Sachabballi reef, yes this was the first tank I used vinegar on. I have stopped dosing last week, completely. Did that really slowly, after cutting the dose in half and not seein any improvements.

I am looking forward to a new large tank someday, but this one has been going south ever since I started cutting corals almost a year ago maybe. I remember tony coming over with Chris and me telling them something isn't right. I have given people corals that were dying while back. I got them back two months ago and they start looking bad again...

Just testing pics... desymuge.jpg  Here is an updated shot of this coral, after carbon dosing. It's getting a lot more light now.ypababem.jpg

I have one branching frag of this left and its changed to all green base with red polyps. I do not understand at all, what is going on...

Coralhind, I was only worried about the alk level when my nitrates went near 0. The tank still barley consumes any alk or calcium and sat idle for a month about. Dipping the corals doesn't help. The alk hasn't went any higher than 10 ever, and stayed around 8.5 the whole time I carbon dosed.

What do you dose now? With no dosing the levels still stayed the same? STN from the bottom up or top down?

My experince has been that with brighter lights of a whiter color it made my blues slowly turn green. Have you changed the lighting any?

Why did the alk level with low nitrates bother you? Is there a connection between the two I don't understand?

Carbon dosing and alk levels above 8 people report problems with their corals. At least when it's uln system. I added d120s on the center. All of the corals were not underneath this light.

I switched from the calcium reactor to dosing and dose bionic. Most of the Stn is bottom up per say but starts at random spots.