Sam's rimless 11.4 gallon LED nano

I don't know if anyone is still following this, but I'll keep it for my own record. I was back home last week for Thanksgiving Break but unfortunately the DSLR is being repaired and I didn't want to take subpar pictures so I'll update pics over xmas break which is in two weeks!

Since my last update:

The AC went out over a weekend and tank temp went up a little which probably resulted in the yellow assessors death, however we aren't certain what happened to it other than it's gone. Nothing else was affected, however a week before I got home, one of the green banded gobies disappeared and I found it's dried up carcass behind the tank while doing maintenance. Apart from that, everything else in the tank has done extremely well. Everything has grown and is happy, I'm amazed with how fast the remaining green banded goby grew, it's literally tripled in size since I left.

While I was back for break I picked up a new Randalls Goby to go with my pistol shrimp and literally within 5 minutes of going in the tank, he had found the shrimp and they were starting to dig together and do their thing so I was overjoyed! I also bought another Green Banded Goby though it was acting extremely weird and even though it ate some cyclops, it didn't move from a corner in the tank for a couple of days. Finally I got a new Blasto that I'm excited about as they're one of my favorite corals. Maintenance wise, I discovered that how I had my Ric Garden wasn't going to work. I just had a bunch of Rics sitting on LR rubble and they were getting blown around, looked sloppy, got moved by the shrimp, and didn't seem too happy. To fix this, I grabbed a few large pieces of LR rubble that I had that were long and flat and glued the Rics to them. Over the three days I was home after doing this, they opened up a lot more and looked much better! I also had to trim a bunch of things that were overgrowing each other and move a few corals that were being killed by faster growing neighbors.

That's all I have for now, but I'll do a better update and with pics when I'm back home in a couple weeks!

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Alright, it's been far too long since I've posted an update with pics, so here it goes! After spending a month at home over Christmas, I'm on my way back to Virginia Tech as I write this but I took plenty of pictures!

Current Stock list:

Fish:

Flameback Angel (FINALLY, after 5 months of searching, got one that's the right size and it's SO cool)

ORA Domino Clownfish

Greenbanded Goby

Randall's Watchman Goby

Inverts:

Pistol Shrimp (paired with Randall's Goby)

4x Sexy Shrimp (2 female, 2 male)

Orange Knobby Star

Fighting Conch

Pom Pom Crab (haven't seen since I added it on 1/3/12)

Emerald Crab

Serpent Star

Various snails

On to the pics, notice the mirror behind the tank, very pleased with the effect it gives me (doesn't box the tank in like paint would)

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0216-1.jpg

I've had these Feather Dusters sprout up all over the tank, kinda pretty:

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0149-1.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0160-1.jpg

DSC_0158-1.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

FTS: I added an ecoxotic par38 to the lighting set up to get some more light around the edges. I like how it is right now (position wise), however I may add another snake thing to bring it down. On it's own, I don't like the color of the light very much, it's too white, however with the lights I have, I'm happy with the result.

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

I STILL need to hide the wires above and beside the tank, but I'm waiting for an outlet to be installed in the pantry (the room behind the tank) to put my DJ strip in there and bring all the wires through the wall, but until then, this is what I'm stuck with.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Thanks! I'm loving your build too Roni!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add surface skimming to a tank like this? I hate the layer of grime across the top of the water.

Thanks! I'm loving your build too Roni!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add surface skimming to a tank like this? I hate the layer of grime across the top of the water.

There is an aquaclear surface skimmer you should be able to attach to your filter.

Thanks a lot guys! Below are some night pictures that I forgot to post earlier, nothing special, but still cool.

Looks great, who takes care of the system while your gone?

My mom does. I mix water before I leave and put it in 1 gallon jugs, she does 1 gallon water changes with those jugs once a week, feeds several times a day, and tops off with water. She's done a great job with it so I'm lucky! I was a little scared at first though...

There is an aquaclear surface skimmer you should be able to attach to your filter.

Wow, I feel stupid missing that, I'll install it when I'm home next, thanks!

Night Pictures w/flash:

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0069-1.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my snails are getting busy. I don't know which ones as I don't have many, only cerith and nassarious I believe (I might not be thinking of some), but I don't have more than a couple individuals of each. I only see the babies at night. Does anyone know what these are:

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
(edited)

So it's been way too long since my last update. I had a chance to take a few pictures of the tank over break, but unfortunately they're not very good because I didn't have much time. Over Christmas I had issues possibly with super glue (though I'm still not sure) that stressed out and killed a few corals including my setosa and purple nurple (really want to get this again if anyone has some...). The tank is maturing and most of the sps is growing very well now. My mom still keeps up with weekly/bi-weekly 1g water changes and that's about the only maintenance the tank gets. There is no filtration and the HOB is just for macro and surface agitation. As corals have grown I've had to take out smaller ones that weren't doing as well and I had to frag the frogspawn in half to give room for the duncan (pictures are from before I fragged). Overall I'm pretty happy that the tank has done so well considering the lack of maintenance and attention.

Current fish/inverts:

-2-3 sexy shrimp

-Domino Clown

-Naked Clown (note: don't type this into google :blink: )

-Watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair (lost the randalls unfortunately, now it's a yellow spot)

-African flameback angel

-A few nassarius snails, a babylon snail, and a couple hermit crabs

The male Sexy:

DSC_01892_zps1572888f.jpg

and one of the females:

DSC_0197-1_zps8e49d69f.jpg

Goby/Shrimp:

DSC_0353_zpsf4a779e2.jpg

DSC_0357_zpsb5a15be8.jpg

corals:

DSC_01782_zps982cd76f.jpg

DSC_0347_zps81d23c15.jpg

DSC_0346_zpsea747727.jpg

DSC_0345_zpsc5794699.jpg

DSC_0342_zpsec06a412.jpg

DSC_0338_zpse209140e.jpg

DSC_0337_zps393bea56.jpg

DSC_0335_zps93744d62.jpg

DSC_0336_zps23bd3de9.jpg

DSC_0322_zps1a790579.jpg

DSC_0280-1_zpse2722770.jpg

A lot of my zoanthids aren't doing well anymore, not sure why. These are my tubbs blues which used to cover this entire area:

DSC_0294_zpsb1be0324.jpg

FTS:

DSC_0292_zpsafca781c.jpg

DSC_0285-1_zps015eefb1.jpg

Edited by L8 2 RISE

• 1 month later...

Hahaha!

But seriously, she is doing a great job!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2