65 gallon Red Sea Max photo update

gizmoody

Hello WAMAS peeps. Just wanted to share a photo of my tank with you guys. It's a stock 65 gallon Red Sea Max 250 with an extra heater, auto top off system and 2 strips of stunner blue LED's. It's about 7-8 months old and has been a significant learning experience plus a pain in the butt sometimes but still an awesome stress reliever in a major way. It's taken forever for most of these corals to grow out (and most still need significant filling out!) because I bought such tiny, tiny frags.

Please let me know what you think. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

tank%204302011.jpg

Looks really nice and clean! I love the corraline growth. Purple everywhere! How do you maintain that kind of flow in the tank? The surface of the water looks pretty active!

Looks really nice and clean! I love the corraline growth. Purple everywhere! How do you maintain that kind of flow in the tank? The surface of the water looks pretty active!

The left side has a 640 gallon per hour pump shooting water through the nozzle on the rear wall. The right side has a 320 gallon per hour pump. The surface is really active - if I focus the flow lower down, bye bye sand bed.

Thanks for the comments. Purple coralline grows everywhere. Gotta scrape the glass once a week.

is that stock lighting?

Yep, stock lighting except for two short strips of blue LED's for effect that I rarely use because the don't work as they did before...need to fix. Was worried when I got the tank that light wasn't enough but corals are doing great. Check out the Red Planet acropora in the topmost middle of the tank - that white branch grew in 2 months and is larger than the original frag.

• 10 months later...

Time for an update. If my tank crashes anytime soon I don't think I will have the willpower to continue after my recent disaster and work put into this tank.

Tank before I took all the corals and LR apart:

6813889375_c53ffb9343_z.jpg

Tank during my disaster:

6953486405_2d40c5c97b_z.jpg

Tank yesterday, 18th March, 2012:

6994716349_c714374792_z.jpg

Let me know what you think. I have no idea what to think since I stare at it everyday to the point that I can't "see it" anymore, if you know what I mean.

It's hilarious that the rocks look almost exactly like the first week I added LR just over a year and a half ago!

6762382119_e7c3fd13b2_z.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looks great! When you say "stock" lighting, please explain. Would love to see it in person. I love mixed tanks!

(edited)

Looks great! When you say "stock" lighting, please explain. Would love to see it in person. I love mixed tanks!

Thanks Steve. Sorry for confusion, the Red Sea Max 250 tanks have 6 39 watt t5 bulbs in the lid. You can see the color of the t5's below (ATI aquablue special, blue plus and purple plus). There are also 9 or maybe 12 blue led's for moon lights. If you are in the Rockville area, drop me a line and stop by to check out the tank.

6767066737_98c8a1a8f4_z.jpg

Edited by gizmoody

I am a huge fan of the RSM, even though mine is only 1/2 your size! I think your tank looks awesome. I like your aquascaping a lot.

Keep the updates coming!

Maureen

I am a huge fan of the RSM, even though mine is only 1/2 your size! I think your tank looks awesome. I like your aquascaping a lot.

Keep the updates coming!

Maureen

Thanks Maureen! Same here. Just wish the new Red Sea Max 500 and 650 weren't over $5000...

Sorry to hear about the crash, what happened?

I am not sure if it is a typical crash, but my acros stopped growing, lost color, had bite marks and some died due to AEFW. It was terrible since most of my corals are acros and tank was "crashing" out of control. I tore the whole tank apart, took all corals off of rocks, some nicely encrusted and dipped for weeks. They were kept on the sand bed and most turned brown. I am not sure if I still have AEFW but all problems with acros have been reversed. I'll keep a close watch and have wrasses to help. I also took the opportunity to redo the tank the way I wanted it and correct a few other beginning learning mistakes that were annoying. I wish I had a quarantine tank but I don't.

Front top angled shot

6858187678_db12eaa890_z.jpg

Right angled shot

6858187476_4f2ecb4bb4_z.jpg

Left angled shot

6858187562_657b4ffba0_z.jpg

Right side

6858187302_349c716deb_z.jpg

Left side

6858187416_8d63a03640_z.jpg

I am waiting for some of these to color up again and start growing well. I am probably going to lose the ice fire and pearlberry frags. Man, I've have got to work a bit more with my camera to get the fish to be in focus. I am trying not to use flash. Oh well...

It looks good, I'm sure you'll get it back to what it was before!!

Thanks dude! I'm already seeing some coloring returning daily. I have the alkalinity at 11 to lean more towards growth than color for now but good to see brown disappearing.

Looks great and healthy. What kind and how many pumps do you use for the flow? It looks like a Vortech on the left? Thanks.

Beth

That picture of the Bellina is incredible! Awesome job! Glad to see that things are making a comeback