Tank needs to be drilled

Sham

As some of you may or may not know, I'm new to the hobbie. Also, I just won my first ever tank in the raffle! It needs tto be drilled. I'm in Herndon. Where can I go to have it drilled?

Some LFS may do it, but most times its down to if you want to do it yourself. The best option I know of is go to a member who has experience with it, some may even do it for free. Enjoy your 55, and welcome to the club.

You can drill it in your kitchen (been there done that) with a little plumbers putty, a glass hole saw, and a drill. Just be sure it isn't tempered.

Edit, this is a 55? Chances are it can't be drilled. Most 55's are all tempered, I believe.

Edited by hypertech

Check to make sure it's not tempered. If it's not, I'm in Herndon too and can help you drill it. I've drilled quite a few holes and have never had a problem however it goes without saying that I'm not going to be at fault if something goes wrong. What size holes do you need? I have a few drill bits that we may be able to use, otherwise BRK sells them. Shoot me a pm if you want, I'm more than happy to help.

It IS tempered. :( I forgot to mention that in the first post. Now what can I do? And thanks for the offer, Late to Rise!

Welcome to the awesome-st hobby of all times!!!

It is best to learn from history. Here is a link to a WAMAS video from 2008 on drilling tempered glass... http://www.youtube.c...?v=qvRgklsm6so) I wouldn't mess with it. And since you won it as a raffle prize, if it shatters there will be even more regret. Good luck!

BTW, I am so bummed that I had to work and couldn't make it to the Spring metting! Looking forward to the next one :clap:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvRgklsm6so

Edited by Reefoholic

The thing is, veteran aquarists say I need it drilled, but I've never known what for. How hard is it if it's NOT drilled? I've never really had it explained to me difinitively.

You would drill to use bulkheads or rubber gaskets for piping. I think you can def. use an overflow box too. I am not sure what your intentions are for the tank and your plans for the entire system in general. Once you know what your plan are you can figure out a way not to drill maybe. Better ask a veteran about this. I am still a newbie just like you, mate! :happy:

The thing is, veteran aquarists say I need it drilled, but I've never known what for. How hard is it if it's NOT drilled? I've never really had it explained to me difinitively.

It's a 55 gallon tank. My friend recommended to me that I get a sump. So what does this mean? Remember that I've never raised salt water marine life.

Reef or fish only? For reef, you may want find something else for the 55 and go straight to a 75RR. 12" deep is really hard for a reef.

For fish only skip the sump and get a good HOB skimmer.

A quick read on SUMPS will bring answers to your many questions. I always read through the forum posts and look at people's tanks and plans besides my sleepless nights searching the web. There are hundreds of options out there. I only have a 20 gal (space constraint) so I am not using a SUMP but I think a SUMP would help immensely with the unwanted algae and other residue in your main tank. If you have the space, I say go for it.

I also think there are many ways to establish a sound piping system without drilling your tank. If there is space over the tank, you can try to place the SUMP over the tank and use a pump for water circulation. Drilling bypasses the siphon overflow issues because the water in your tank flows naturally in your SUMP.

I will post more info when I find some.

Hope this helps a little!

It's a 55 gallon tank. My friend recommended to me that I get a sump. So what does this mean? Remember that I've never raised salt water marine life.

Hey hypertech,

Do you have any suggestions for HOB skimmers? I was considering Coralife Super Skimmer or Bak Pak 2?

Thanks

You do not need it drilled. It is a preference thing.

I have had overflow boxes for many years on several tanks and never had any problem.

Just read good things about Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002. any ideas on that one?

I've never owned one myself, but the Octopus ones tend to get good reviews.

Just read good things about Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002. any ideas on that one?

Yeah, I owned one of those. It's got a blue knob straight from H-E-double hockey sticks and a hanging bracket that the devil himself must have crafted. After a while, the whole thing stops going together right because there are no seals - just plastic slipping over plastic so you end up disassembling and reassembling over and over again until it finally works. A constant water level is a must for this skimmer, and so is the magnet mount. That hanger is something else.

But, every time I write about how Tunze should be ashamed to put their name on that thing, a half dozen people post crooning about how they love it. So, either I got a lemon, or they live sheltered lives and don't realize how bad it is.

So, my opinion - not so great. Also, its woefully undersized for a 55. I wouldn't put it on anything larger than a 20 if it were given to me free and even then I'd think about it for quite a while.

You do not need it drilled. It is a preference thing.

I have had overflow boxes for many years on several tanks and never had any problem.

If you do go with an overflow box, I strongly suggest the type that is taped at the top you either hook up to a MJ in the tank or the return line to draw off any air that might accumulate. You don't want it to lose its siphon and quit working.

But really, if you want a sump, the best thing is a drilled tank. So, since you are just starting up, if that's the type of setup you want, just get a tank that works. If you've got the space, you could do a 180 and use the 55 for the sump.

I thought you were going to use this skimmer on a 20gal tank? You have two posts going on (edit-someone else had a similiar post)... Regarding Hypertech's comment I think the unit it redesigned at some point. Mine came with the magnet mount which is a breeze. The rails are horrible from what I hear. Also, my knob turns easy. However, it can be a pain as the top and bottom pop off. I put an extra long black zip tie around the whole thing to hold it together. It does feel cheap and flimsy but it works well.

If this is for the 55 gallon it would be tooooo small.

Edited by BowieReefer84

About to send you a PM, we're very close to each other and I've learned more from visiting people's systems than I ever have from reading/hearing about it. You should swing by and we can talk/ you can see a working system (with a 55 plumbed into it BTW)

I did not want to drill my 55 when I got it. I used one of these http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=2849, and although I start a siphon once a month or so, it's great. I've seen those pumps that draw the air out get clogged an cause spill after spill...I will be getting a new one soon to occomidate 1200GPH flow for my 75 gal. Just to have plenty of flow for my SPS. so if you want to buy my old one in about a week or two PM me for price( this is not a WTB thread, not going to make it one). But as long as you have it near it's upper limits of flow no bubbles accumulate. I live in Vienna, let me know if you wanna come on by. I'll show you how it's working. But always remember, weigh your options. Many of us start thinking, "I'll only need this, I'll stick to fish I swear!" and a couple impulse coral buys later and your stuck redoing a system. I suggest, plan for it. You'll save money. Whatever you decide to do, welcome to the hobby and best of luck!

I am sorry for the confusion guys. I was trying to help Sham with whether to drill or go for overflow then adding a Protein Skimmer came up. I have a separate post under dedicated tank forum for my own 20 gal. setup. Thanks for your replies btw! If Tunze works nicely then I can cope with minor problems.

I thought you were going to use this skimmer on a 20gal tank? You have two posts going on (edit-someone else had a similiar post)... Regarding Hypertech's comment I think the unit it redesigned at some point. Mine came with the magnet mount which is a breeze. The rails are horrible from what I hear. Also, my knob turns easy. However, it can be a pain as the top and bottom pop off. I put an extra long black zip tie around the whole thing to hold it together. It does feel cheap and flimsy but it works well.

If this is for the 55 gallon it would be tooooo small.

Congrats on winning my tank again Sham! It's actually a 45g (48"x13"x17") so I'm not quite sure about the tempering situation. I'd personally take it to a glass shop, as they can tell whether or not it is tempered.

Also on the skimmer situation, I have a Reef Octopus BH-100SS which is a HOB skimmer. I used it on this EXACT tank with great results. If you'd like I can sell it to you. Its a really good HOB skimmer especially for the money.