Tank needs to be drilled

Sham

Oh, then there is a good chance it isn't all tempered. The 55 is because of the quantity made. Most other tanks maybe have the bottom tempered. There is supposed to be some way to tell with a laptop screen and a pair of polarized sunglasses. I've seen people attempt it, but my gut says they ended up getting lucky when we started drilling. You'll know real quick if it is tempered.....

You may not be able to drill through the bottom, but maybe the back. Is there any marking about manufacture?

Edited by hypertech

The question may be answered already( i skimmed thru the thread) but the tank may be just tempered glass on the bottom. What company manufactured it? Though it may be more of a daunting task to drill given its very thin glass, it possibly could be done. Regardless congrats and enjoy your new tank!

I'm heading to bed. The tank is still in my car, but I'll check the manufacturer, etc. Tomorrow and see if I can get some answers.

I'm pretty sure its an AGA. The sticker on the bottom (some is ripped off, its in one of the corners on the bottom) matches the one on my new AGA 120g in terms of color. The sticker is orange and says something like don't move with water inside, don't pick it up by the rim, etc. FWIW I bought the tank at Petsmart and I'm pretty sure it was their "top fin" brand?

HTH

On that orange label, just under the black edge: Warning: Do Not Drill Glass xxxxxx

I couldn't read the last word. Could it say bottom?

I say nix the 55- use it for trading. If you're going to go drill a tank, get one that you actually like because of the size shape, etc. Not because you won it and it's relatively free. Overflow boxes always fail at one time or other in their useful lives causing floods or electrical issues. Hang on back skimmers usually don't work as stated, but sometimes people get them to work.

Drilling glass is super easy and anyone can do it. Go to glassholes.com and check out their practice videos.

You can't drill tempered glass.

If I don't use it, what should I do? I was originally planning on getting a 28g nanocube. Should I trade it/sell it to get money to put toward that? Should I stick with a big tank and use it as a sump/refugium? I just want this to be fun and easy, but all I hear are the negatives with non-drilled tanks.

If I don't use it, what should I do? I was originally planning on getting a 28g nanocube. Should I trade it/sell it to get money to put toward that? Should I stick with a big tank and use it as a sump/refugium? I just want this to be fun and easy, but all I hear are the negatives with non-drilled tanks.

In this hobby nothing is cut-and-dry. Everyone has opinions and while none of them are wrong they all come with their own biases.

A drilled tank is easier than a non-drilled tank because overflow boxes can fail. However, many people have tanks with overflow boxes that work perfectly fine, they just require preventative maintenance to ensure that the U-tubes don't clog and the aqualifters don't fail to restart the siphon. Skimmers that run in a sump are definitely better at their job than HOB skimmers but a HOB can provide plenty of filtration for a FOWLR tank or even one with some softies. I would avoid any hard corals without a good skimmer and refugium.

You can't drill tempered glass - that is definitely a fact. The glass will shatter; we've demonstrated it in the past. Usually you're OK to drill anywhere on a tank EXCEPT the bottom. The bottom is always tempered. That being said, there was a rumor that AGA started tempering all 5 sides but I don't remember it being substantiated. I bought a new 40L not that long ago which I drilled successfully. So if AGA started tempering they must've only done it for a short time. Drilling a 55 can be a little tricky due to the thinness of the glass. Be sure to space out your holes and keep them at least 1"-2" away from the edges. Once you get the bulkhead in be very careful about putting lateral stress on any plumbing coming out of it. Finally, be sure you're around when you leak-test the tank. I've had a tank crack just as it gets full due to the additional stress - this causes a very slow drip, not a gush of water so there's time to get the water out of the tank before disaster strikes.

As far as the direction you go, that's your call. Take people's advice with a grain of salt and do what you think is best. IMO, the filtration you get in the nanocubes is about as good as a HOB filter. So I would do the 55 with a HOB filter and skimmer (look for a used MCE300), do the HOB overflows, or take the chance and drill the tank. If you break it, you should be able to find another one on craigslist for not too much money.

Definitely check out glassholes.com - they have some great overflow kits.

I am partial to HOB overflows, I see a pipe cleaner and rinse of water as the lesser of the evils with a U tube. When your considering losing a tank, pump failing and flooding. If all you have to do is match it with a pump just under it's max to limit detris build up, and clean it occasionally. Well, it's a no brainer to me. But if you want something else, go for it. Save up now, do what you wanna do. Or you will spend more money later restarting.

Of course I am very biased, bottom line is if you may wanna do things differently later do it now. I started with a 55, it gets small fast. I upgraded because of a tank leak. It made my life much easier!

There's also a DIY hang-on overflow made completely out of PVC pipe. They are very easy to make.