Reefoholic's New 20 Gallon

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm thats a lot of bubble algae....easier to start again with the rocks???

I would be afraid of the emerald that could tackle that....

You have no idea Jenn! I was surprised myself! I don't have an emerald yet, only his little brothers hermit crabs... I have read on various forums that the best way to battle bubble algae is to clean it manually and keep the water parameters ideal. I am very much against dumping some chemical in the tank.

i have really never battled this plague....i have had a few here and there over the years and was careful to remove the algae whole and get it out of the tank...I have heard a lot of success with emeralds worth a shot to pick up 2...

i have really never battled this plague....i have had a few here and there over the years and was careful to remove the algae whole and get it out of the tank...I have heard a lot of success with emeralds worth a shot to pick up 2...

Don't you think two emeralds is an overkill for a 20 gal tank?

You have no idea Jenn! I was surprised myself! I don't have an emerald yet, only his little brothers hermit crabs... I have read on various forums that the best way to battle bubble algae is to clean it manually and keep the water parameters ideal. I am very much against dumping some chemical in the tank.

OH! OH! OH! Pick me!

I had a huge bubble algae outbreak. Like, I'm getting ready to break down this tank, get all new rock, and possibly just sit back and watch as my tank turns into one gigantic bubble algae bubble. Then I got 3 emerald crabs, and in less than a month (month and a half tops) they demolished everything. I can't find a bubble algae anymore. I also don't like to problem solve with chemicals, and I tried to no avail manual removal and siphoning out. Emerald crabs were my huckleberry.

OH! OH! OH! Pick me!

I had a huge bubble algae outbreak. Like, I'm getting ready to break down this tank, get all new rock, and possibly just sit back and watch as my tank turns into one gigantic bubble algae bubble. Then I got 3 emerald crabs, and in less than a month (month and a half tops) they demolished everything. I can't find a bubble algae anymore. I also don't like to problem solve with chemicals, and I tried to no avail manual removal and siphoning out. Emerald crabs were my huckleberry.

Duuude! Sweet! I will be getting me a couple of those bad boys then! Thanks!

I said 2 because the 1 May not eat it..you have a better chance with 2...plus they aren't always hardy...when you're done put them up for another member to take...if you don't want them

I probably don't need 3 quite large emeralds running amuck in my tank, but unless they start eating zoas, I think I'll be alright.

I said 2 because the 1 May not eat it..you have a better chance with 2...plus they aren't always hardy...when you're done put them up for another member to take...if you don't want them

TRUE

I probably don't need 3 quite large emeralds running amuck in my tank, but unless they start eating zoas, I think I'll be alright.

I am more concerned about them moving around too much and knocking stuff over... Do they make small enough leashes I wonder? :P

I've got 4 or 10 emeralds in my tank,lol I take them out when they get big...small ones tend to be the best for eating bubbles..but mine have now taken up the lazy way, since there is no more bubble algae, and hang out with my peppermint shrimp colony and eat found food all day...

I've got 4 or 10 emeralds in my tank,lol I take them out when they get big...small ones tend to be the best for eating bubbles..but mine have now taken up the lazy way, since there is no more bubble algae, and hang out with my peppermint shrimp colony and eat found food all day...

I will get a small one to start. Ain't nobody needs Bubble Gangs starting up in my tank...

Sure enough I wake up to a sound that no man should ever wake up to. It was around 5 am and my tank has overflow almost half the water volume to all over the floor.

Just like any good champ would do, I cleaned, wiped the floor, checked equipment (so grateful that I have my surge protectors mounted on the wall), inspected the clog, de-clogged the tube, replaced the water (I always have emergency salt water ready) and just as I thought I was done I realized that my bio pellet reactor had taken in air due to low water levels. So I took that sucker apart, installed it back together and hooked it up to the tank.

Now I am on my way to work. Almost half an hour late.

You gotta love this hobby.

PS: guess what clogged up the overflow? If you answered bubble algae, you are correct!! As of this morning I officially declare war on the nation of bubble algae. All I need is to recruit infantry now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Get a bubble gang! That sucks, but you 're being a champ about it!

ok, your hazing is complete!  (that will teach you to leave us for a year)

You made it through and are re-energized....stop off on your way home and grab a couple of small emeralds and sound the horns....

Definitely go for the small emerald crabs, there is also the ruby crabs. I like them and they eat bubble algae too.

ok, your hazing is complete! (that will teach you to leave us for a year)

You made it through and are re-energized....stop off on your way home and grab a couple of small emeralds and sound the horns....

Boy, am I rushing again? Well, it is worth it.

I actually ordered two crabs from dr. Mac since I don't have a car to drive to places.

My new bulbs are arriving today. Will update with pictures when I get home.

I forget there are people in this world who don't own cars, and only take mass transit...

I have to say thank you for not contributing to the carbon monoxide problem that is this earth...and letting me take up your slack with my truck,lol and hey... If you ever need t get to quantum or something post up and I bet someone can be on their way to the Springfield metro to help you out :)

(And give me another reason to visit quantum,lol)

I forget there are people in this world who don't own cars, and only take mass transit...

I have to say thank you for not contributing to the carbon monoxide problem that is this earth...and letting me take up your slack with my truck,lol and hey... If you ever need t get to quantum or something post up and I bet someone can be on their way to the Springfield metro to help you out :)

(And give me another reason to visit quantum,lol)

I'm a cyclist, and could take you up on that! If you are ever near Vienna. We all need excuses to just go and hang out there!

I'm a cyclist, and could take you up on that! If you are ever near Vienna. We all need excuses to just go and hang out there!

I bike almost everywhere. I might take you up on that offer sometime. I have a trek. What about you?

Also as promised here are some pics after I installed the new mh and t5s.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come.

Currently a freebie generic steel singlespeed road. I'm looking at getting a Ridley carbon road soon.

Sweet. I am such a big fan of Trek. I think they make some very nice bikes. Check out their hybrid series if you also ride in the city.

Cyclists huh? I am...actually was a cyclist up until I had offspring. I sold my old road bike. Do you remember Biopace? Yeah, I had a bike w/ that. Looking to get back into it when I have more time.

Are you guys really into it, like do you know De Ronde or Roubaix into it?

I'm picking up my game. Not raced yet, but 50 miles(with terrible wind) in 4.5hours on my steel single speed is a decent start.

Cyclists huh? I am...actually was a cyclist up until I had offspring. I sold my old road bike. Do you remember Biopace? Yeah, I had a bike w/ that. Looking to get back into it when I have more time.

Are you guys really into it, like do you know De Ronde or Roubaix into it?

Is this a challenge?

BTW I got my two yummy looking new frags from Dr macs today. Will post some pics when I go home.